Game-Labs Forum

Mod support

Burke

Question

Hey, I was just wondering if you guys were planning on leaving tools for modders in your new civil war game. I think the platform would be excellent for a revolutionary or Napoleonic setting, and would love to see a vibrant modding community built around it. Nothing brings longevity and peace of mind about a purchase like the existence of a solid modding community.

Cheers, Burke

• Like 2

6 answers to this question

On 12/12/2016 at 1:04 PM, Burke said:

Hey, I was just wondering if you guys were planning on leaving tools for modders in your new civil war game. I think the platform would be excellent for a revolutionary or Napoleonic setting, and would love to see a vibrant modding community built around it. Nothing brings longevity and peace of mind about a purchase like the existence of a solid modding community.

Cheers, Burke

I believe they are taking one step at a time. Unbeknownst to us, the devs probably have a priority of things they would like to implement but cannot due to lack of resources, at least for the time being. This might also be why they haven't given any definitive answers to any requests for additional features because they don't want to disappoint anyone. This makes sense to me anyway.

I personally, (maybe because I'm old,) don't understand this need to "mod" every possible piece of software that comes out.

If the game isn't something you want, what's the point of changing it into something different. 

It is after all the developers decision on what to offer.

If you don't like it, learning to program, or hiring your own development team seems to be the most logical way to proceed.  Why adopt someone else's work with all its flaws, or non-bearing programming with hoping to claim it as your own.

How disingenuous. 

14 hours ago, A. P. Hill said:

I personally, (maybe because I'm old,) don't understand this need to "mod" every possible piece of software that comes out.

If the game isn't something you want, what's the point of changing it into something different. 

If you don't like it, learning to program, or hiring your own development team seems to be the most logical way to proceed.  Why adopt someone else's work with all its flaws, or non-bearing programming with hoping to claim it as your own.

How disingenuous. 

Not so much, AP. 

And we know Darth came from a modding community. 

It's more the ability to tweak the game to reflect what you want the game to become. You want English troops fighting the 54th Massachussets on Breed's Hill? 

On 2/20/2017 at 2:17 PM, A. P. Hill said:

How disingenuous. 

Because modding is awesome.  Modders don't care about the game's flaws, they embrace them with all their silly things like Artillery brigades trying to Charge your skirmishers down!  We just add more stuff to it that we think is awesome, like British and French troops stated above, without bugging the developer or taking their time away from more important things.  It's not that the, "the game isn't something [we] want, what's the point of changing it into something different", it's that we love the game - we're putting time into modding it for a reason.  Opening up just loads of stuff to do with it, like the Crimean War or Napoleon's conquests.  If we didn't like the game, we wouldn't bother modding it.

From a development standpoint, having the ability to mod the game massively increases the game's lifespan.  Look at Company of Heroes (the first one) - despite being literally 7 years old by time CoH2 came out, the modding community was still strong there (and hell, as a modeler still working on TGW1918, I can say it's still going strong).

That aside, I think it's pretty obvious that I'd really like mod support.  Although I can see the reasons why it might not get in, I can always hope.

Edited by The Soldier