Game-Labs Forum

Fixes Needed

Stonewall47

I have followed Nick's work since Total War and have put a decent amount of time into UG:G. As soon as I saw UG:CW, I had to pick it up. Even in Early Access, it's a fantastic game, with tons of replay-ability. However, I have seen some issues that I thought warranted a post. 

1) The auto-shifting and alignment of brigades. 

Sometimes the brigades just move, or charge or don't shoot. No explanation, no warning. I'll set my lines and shift to another part of the battlefield, only to come back with a unit routing because it charged into the open or decided to move laterally down the line. This was a problem and UG:G that I think needs to be fixed here. The same goes for how the brigades rotate.

2) RETREATING

This one is so incredibly frustrating. My units retreat behind their lines or vice-versa. This becomes "game-breaking" in the larger battles when you're literally stretched paper thin on every front. You rout a brigade and it retreats to YOUR rear. Another problem from UG:G that needs to be readdressed.

3) "Mob Firing"

I think the reason that point 1 happens is because of units not wanting to fire through their own or enemy units. Therefore, someone needs to move. However, sometimes I have units fire from behind other units and other times I do not. Sometimes they just charge instead of firing. The computer seems to have none of these problems though. At Antietam, thousands of Yanks occupied the same field and fired continuously, without shifting or charging or rotating awkwardly.

4) MELEE!

Melee is fine for the most part. The frustrating part lies in what happens after they've won. Sometimes they fallback well, sometimes they get tangled and stay in melee perpetually, and sometimes they just follow the retreating units back until they are obliterated by it's friends.

I want to end on a high note, so...

Game-Labs, you have brought me a piece of my childhood back, and for that I will support your work always. The Sid Meiers and Sierra Games were favorites of mine, and you have made them so much more enjoyable 20 years later. Cheers! 

• Like 2

I don't think I've ever seen a unit of mine charge when I didn't order it. Are you sure the enemy didn't shift and they came into contact with each other and trigger melee mode instead?

As for melee pursuit--yes, you need to watch your units and force command them to stop if you don't want them to pursue. They'll do that naturally because they can pick up more kills on the rout without of course knowing that they may be overpursuing (your job as an officer to stop!). They typically won't chase too far if they were in defensive melee, though, and they'll return back to where you had them originally stationed. If you were on the offense, that's the part of the battlefield you should have been watching.

1 hour ago, Hitorishizuka said:

I don't think I've ever seen a unit of mine charge when I didn't order it. Are you sure the enemy didn't shift and they came into contact with each other and trigger melee mode instead?

Not that I know of. Most of the time, I shift my attention to something else and look back a second later and they're halfway across no-mans-land. I think the problem is the unit is behind another, so the computer tries to close in, but ends up in melee. That's just a guess based off what I've seen.

1 hour ago, Hitorishizuka said:

As for melee pursuit--yes, you need to watch your units and force command them to stop if you don't want them to pursue. 

This is more than that. This is me struggling to stop them from moving forward. May just be impatience on my part, but its happened a decent bit. 

On 11/12/2016 at 3:31 AM, cespich47 said:

Not that I know of. Most of the time, I shift my attention to something else and look back a second later and they're halfway across no-mans-land. I think the problem is the unit is behind another, so the computer tries to close in, but ends up in melee. That's just a guess based off what I've seen.

This is more than that. This is me struggling to stop them from moving forward. May just be impatience on my part, but its happened a decent bit. 

i think this is just where units in melee have their blood up and become difficult to control. I suspect the devs are trying to model such behaviour, which personally I like.

We're trying to simulate commanding human soldiers here with all their faults, not robots.

On 12/10/2016 at 9:09 PM, Hitorishizuka said:

As for melee pursuit--yes, you need to watch your units and force command them to stop if you don't want them to pursue. They'll do that naturally because they can pick up more kills on the rout without of course knowing that they may be overpursuing (your job as an officer to stop!). They typically won't chase too far if they were in defensive melee, though, and they'll return back to where you had them originally stationed. If you were on the offense, that's the part of the battlefield you should have been watching.

Actually had this happen to me several times.. i order unit to shoot and instead of shooting it just walks forward and enters melee.. and im pretty sure i didnt ordered it move, but to engage..

• Like 1

It does seem that often even when manually positioning a brigade's facing direction, they will move in such a way that opens them up to enfilade fire. I have noticed that if using the right click function to change the direction the brigade is facing, they will frequently step forward or backward much more than the turn actually requires. Conversely, if it very close to them the brigade would historically have been able to do a "side step" rather than a full turn and march. It might be difficult to get the AI under the hood to understand the difference, but it's frustrating when trying to dress a flank by just a hair and your brigade turns its entire flank into enemy fire.