Game-Labs Forum

True campaign game of series of tactical games?

RH Lee

I loved UG Gettysburg at first, but I was very frustrated by not being able to truly continue from one day to the next with unit strength, positions and such unchanged "overnight" so that I could fight an entire battle with my forces and positions starting the 2nd day (and so one) from where I finished the just completed day.  I asked about this repeatedly, but was told that the beginning positions in subsequent days were "close" to where I'd finished the earlier day. Sadly they weren't. I could take Little Round Top, end that phase of the battle & move to the next phase, and the blasted Yanks would be back in control of the hill.  *sigh*

While I greatly enjoyed everything else about the game (I have a masters in PolySci and History with a focus on the US in both so I'm a dedicated fan of the War for Southern Independence and have visited the Gettysburg battlefield repeatedly) but the inability to really & truly play the entire battle MY WAY with MY intra-game successes and failures eventually turned me off and I quit playing.

So - here's the question:  Is UGCW a true campaign game - or is it a series of related battles and such.  If I can shatter the invading northern army at First Manassas can I then continue north with whatever my forces are, and against whatever the North has left, perhaps to take Washington - or will I start the next day with whatever the game decides I should have?

If it's a true campaign with fully connected everything, I'm ready to buy today.  But I'd be massively disappointed if it works the same way that UGG did. So, development team, which is it?

Thanks,

RH Lee

No, it's nothing like that at all right now. You walk through a series of set battles (1 Grand Battle + various side battles on offer at a given time). Your performance in one battle does not affect what missions you have on offer, provided your reputation is above the minimum to keep going. Currently the AI army composition does not change based on what side battles you completed or on how you won previous battles. The AI Army size will not scale down to meet you but will scale up if you start having too many men compared to normal.

Your forces will carry over from battle to battle exactly like how it ended, so you will need to use the funds and manpower the game awards you after every battle to rebuild and expand your army appropriately between battles.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2016 at 5:09 PM, RH Lee said:

So - here's the question:  Is UGCW a true campaign game - or is it a series of related battles and such.  If I can shatter the invading northern army at First Manassas can I then continue north with whatever my forces are, and against whatever the North has left, perhaps to take Washington - or will I start the next day with whatever the game decides I should have?

No.  Right now it is a "campaign on rails".  You fight the same battles, in the same order.  You can decide to skip some or all of the side battles/skirmishes, but the main battles in each "chapter" have to be fought, and once completed you will advance to the next chapter.

There is no real point for playing the game well (beyond a certain point) because the AI will scale up the difficulty to match whatever you bring to the battle.  If you play the game poorly, the AI will not scale down to meet you, so you can lose if you don't keep up with a certain pace... but what that pace is and how you maintain it is based on an algorithm and there is no way of knowing if you are keeping pace or not.

I'm waiting until the next big content patch because right now I have fallen out of love with the game because of this issue.  The tactical battles are fun but the strategic game is really lacking.

The Total War game model was a nice idea,but it failed because the series of compromises it had to make turned the strategic and tactical models against each other. 

This game intentionally bypasses that and focuses on recreating great battles on a tactical level. 

The Army Creation Tools in the Camp are golden. Brilliant implementation of the factors required to train and deploy an army in the field during the War of the Rebellion. It's logical, and makes perfect sense. Needs to be tweaked, like most of the things in this game, but it's a great compromise. 

But, it's early access. Give 'em some leash. They fix one problem, and another problem erupts. Cut them some slack and hope for the best.