Game-Labs Forum

Preserving allied troops

Sandermatt

Question

5 answers to this question

On 12/3/2016 at 1:32 PM, Sandermatt said:

Is there any benefit to preserve troops that you control but are not part f your army.

Another question. In the first scenario of the confederate campaign. Which units can you keep if they survive?

Near as I can tell there's no point--in fact it's probably more worthwhile to use them up as much as possible to let your personal brigades get better shots and more xp. Them dying might even give you back more equipment from returned. Needs testing to see if having higher intact free troops gives you most post-battle.

In mine I kept the two best infantry brigades and both artillery brigades. I suspect it will automatically give you the higher 4 XP brigades, but again needs more testing.

On 12/5/2016 at 9:53 AM, Grognard_JC said:

I agree with Hitorishizuka's statement, though, playing them that way is gamey, and therefore, shoudl not be possible.

However, politics always had some role on both sides in the organization, officering, and employment of armies and therefore which units got more favorable consideration and which ones the unpleasant assignments, with always a good rationale should that be necessary.  There was enough squandering of cannon fodder (green units rather than veterans, such as Cold Harbor) that a commander with baser motives might slip by under cover of stupidity or foolhardiness. 

On 3.12.2016 at 10:32 PM, Sandermatt said:

Is there any benefit to preserve troops that you control but are not part f your army.

Another question. In the first scenario of the confederate campaign. Which units can you keep if they survive?

My first time posting here, and since your second question wasn't answered, I thought it would be good to keep for posterity: After the first Confederate battle, you get to keep the infantry brigades commanded by Kemper and Sigfried, and the Artillery Battery commanded by Cabell.

• Like 2

Yeah, i think using allied units this way is not completely ahistorical, comes to my mind some Spanish general during Peninsular campaign who kept his forces from his home province out of fight and let others bleed.. of course that approach cost him the battle.. anyway this approach was not that unusual, and was commonly used - Napoleon kept his Old Guard in reserve almost in every battle, even at Waterloo  3 remaining Old Guard Battalions were supposed to cover the last push made by Middle guard (5 battalions), and when these were eventually repelled, Old Guard covered retreat and marched off the field intact while formed in squares protecting Napoleon and other Generals.. Napoleon commonly started attacks with less reliable men, keeping better troops for final decisive attack at the right moment.