Game-Labs Forum

OlavDengs Union Campaign

OlavDeng2

A bit self promotion but i made a video of that here.

I also got some guides on the other bits and bobs over here

(some of these are a bit older but all are still mostly valid, will redo all of them when the UI rework and launch happens)

Naval action is rather hard to get into due to the length of the battles and the combat mechanics, however the combat mechanics are amazing and definetely make the game excellent and is the high light. You do however find your self spending quite a bit of time sailing from location to location, so it isnt a bad idea to have UGCW running at the same time so you have something to do when sailing from port to port/battle xD

Ep11:

Welp, saw this coming. You already fell for the trap. The fortifications on this map are really, really bad to hold. There are trees right across the river in every position that will cover the enemy and let them outshoot you if you use the forts. It does guard a little better against melee since they'll slow down and lose condition by having to cross but it's not much of a help.

Wow, you actually detached skirmishers. :)

The line you brought your forward troops back to is actually the one you want to hold for the map, then stretching left to the trees on the river side. Top side stays south of the road and curves with the buildings. Basically open ground all along the enemy's axis of advance compared to sitting in decent tree or building cover. They have a thin strip of woods to advance with in the north but keep artillery right there and you're covered. If you go too far north you'll get enveloped from behind when the northern reinforcements come if you stay there.

Yes, you have fought there before.

If you could have kept the one enemy brigade in the water you could have maybe stayed and engaged them at least and done a lot of damage back FWIW, even if your own cover was questionable. The whole run and fallback was unnecessary, though. This is why they told you to detach skirmishers, leave them in the woods, and fall back with your main brigades in an orderly fashion.

Skirmishers have increased stealth, cover, and detection, this is why your main brigades have a harder time fighting them. Fight them with your own skirmishers backed by cavalry.

XD The wrong lesson...this map you can actually hold that line...well, not quite so far north, but you can hold it.

Your general should have been up there supporting all of these maneuvers the whole time. You still basically never use him.

Your distant artillery should be turned off, they're wasting ammo. Doing a couple kills per volley is garbo, not decent.

Complete missed opportunity not having your artillery forward if you're sticking to defending those positions as hard as you have.

On your left, you start to see the problem of sitting in barricades. You get one unit of yours shooting not all at once (better for morale shock) against 3-4 of theirs.

Stripping a lot of units from your front just to hold Henry Hill...wouldn't really recommend that once the melee charges start coming. Still not using your general at all (this is a recurring theme).

No skirmishers or anyone sitting in the vision spots so you don't really see the unit taking the far southern flank.

You've got units doing who knows what on their own unsupported while your left flank is collapsing after I already said you stripped too many units away from your defense. And with no general to try and stabilize morale.

Unit in barricades broke because it was getting outshot and flanked from being shot down the line.

Good job capturing supplies again but I question your priorities. Lines are breaking down all over and you kind of need them in the fight and you aren't exactly short on supplies...

Yeah, this was tough to watch. I guess good job on going 1:2 at least and achieving victory but your losses were incredibly high. This map is actually a pretty easy one for Union vs the AI because they're too dumb to do anything but attack center and center-left for most of the battle. You should probably take a look at your brigades screen more to see if certain units were underperforming (I have a hunch your artillery just didn't pull their weight from how far back you had them most of the battle.) Also doubly tough since this is all prerecorded and it's honestly starting to drag on me to keep giving the same advice and not see it show up. :P

• Like 1

Yeah... the prerecorded thing is a bit annoying, i find my self wanting for implement your advice but not able to do so :/ also, im still shit in this game xD

Also regarding barricades and fortifications, is it a general rule not to use them?

I indeed need to pay more attention to my general and use him, sadly you wont see any improvement in any of the pre recorded battles :/ i have been practicing a bit though so hopefully it will be better when i return.

1 hour ago, Hitorishizuka said:

Yes, maybe read some of the other topics in the forum instead of just posting in your own. ;P

I read some here and there, mostly gone to reading on the steam forums since that seems more active :P missed that one

Ok so ep12 is up, and unlike what i did with my previous videos im gonna take a look at what i should have done better.

So 1st up, as said in the previous feedback, should not have used the fortifications.

2nd, there are a couple of units not doing anything as i was expecting an attack on the flank

3rd, My general is not moving to where he is needed

4th, Cavalry, while i do get some sneaky attack on the enemy arty spends a lot of time idling, eventually i bring them in to the melee fights but at that point it is too late.

5th, I still order my men to run too much.(this has been a hard habit for me to break :/)

6th, Enemy infantry manages to sneak past me a couple of times, after first time should have prepared better for that possibly

7th, not something i could have done better but something i noticed, AI really tries hard to re capture that supply wagon that i captured with infantry, not having a single chance at retaking it

8th, while in the beginning left the cavalry idle too much, closer to the end didnt let them get any rest as a result they didnt perform as well as they could have

Did i get it about right on what i should have done better, any aditional notes?

On 12/30/2016 at 11:57 AM, OlavDeng2 said:

Did i get it about right on what i should have done better, any aditional notes?

Hung your brigades in the forest out to dry early. If you're going to take those positions (and I actually recommend that), you needed to have all of your troops along that line, with them slightly forward to take fire, but everyone else there to protect against charges or just getting massively outnumbered and pushed back. Actually, if you hold from the position that lone brigade was in that got overrun, you can actually bottle up 2/3rd of their army on the other side of the river and slaughter them piecemeal as they try to cross.

Artillery too far back in general, they could have been a bit more forward.

Guarding the right flank should actually be done way forward. Across the river you can sit in the trees at the far right where it narrows and bottle the entire flanking force there and stop them cold with just a couple brigades.

You sort of screwed yourself scaling wise here by putting all of your big brigades in II Corps. Almost always lead with your biggest brigades in I Corps because that's what's hurting you for numbers, especially in a map like this where more of the enemy's numbers hit the field first. That's another reason why they were making better headway on you early.

Guarding the left flank is fine but yes the units were too far back. If you're holding there, they should actually probably be across the river and spaced to be able to shoot the enemy right as they're crossing.

• Like 1

Hey Olav, the one thing, nope two things, you seem to never fall back as opposed to running back. You take less damage to brigade when you fall back rather than wheeling and showing your backside to an enemy volley. Once they are falling back you can reverse their facing when at a safe distance. (and I'll confess to doing the same thing occasionally)

Secondly, most of the time when I see you charge, it is from quite a distance always resulting in over half of your troops condition being lost. Lousy condition and melee do not mix well.

Actually, sorry, a third point. A commander on the battlefield is constantly getting updates on brigades not within his sight, which is a good reason to use the pause button occasionally. If you never use that golden button, you are missing out on the "virtual" dispatches from other regions of the battle field and you become even more overwhelmed with the fog of war.

• Like 1

Ep13:

Yeah, you attacked from a weird angle and probably could have used some snipers to take advantage of the open ground and pick off the artillery earlier. If you swing in solely from the left you get to use the trees as a natural barrier and hold there for the early portions of the battle and let the AI break against you, then you can sweep straight across the map afterwards. Sitting in open fields slugging it out, even with a manpower advantage, isn't recommended.

• Like 1