Game-Labs Forum

OlavDengs Union Campaign

OlavDeng2

watching right now, beginning made me laugh already.. you should be on defensive and instead you plan to walk almost to the far corner of the map... from my experience with that battle, you will be running away soon :)    but dont take it negatively, its just that i know whats coming..

21 minutes ago, JaM said:

watching right now, beginning made me laugh already.. you should be on defensive and instead you plan to walk almost to the far corner of the map... from my experience with that battle, you will be running away soon :)    but dont take it negatively, its just that i know whats coming..

xD I do this entire thing blind so dont know anything about what is coming :P I also like to be rather aggressive, which has backfired a couple of times allready xD

btw, if you wanna get ammo truck somewhere fast, its recommended to move them using roads instead of a direct line which might lead them into some rough terrain..

and another tip - instead of pointing to another position, use fallback button  (F), your men will withdraw backwards automatically a lot faster, than if you order them to form a formation somewhere, which usually makes them to rotate in the spot first and taking a lot of enemy fire...

• Like 1

Yeah, also already laughing that you're trying to be aggressive on Shiloh. The one use for Recon career points if you don't know the battles, either in-game or historically.

That was actually good catching that first brigade in an awkward spot and getting good damage on it. Once you saw the second one come in and angle in through the trees that would be time to fall back, though.

Pay attention to the messages in the upper left. You get notified that Polk's Corps is on the field, meaning you are very outnumbered.

Skirmishers hanging out on the side should have been in flanking position on the far south brigade the entire time. They can actually do a lot of damage if they get to just sit there and shoot instead of constantly running away.

The brigade in the north isn't doing anything and needed to be rotated around to cover the center if you're actually trying to hold in your current position.

Yeah, that was a little too brave trying to go for those supplies. Poor skirmishers.

Color me surprised that this hasn't ended in disaster yet. The AI just doesn't know to force charge and push you back, I guess, usually I've seen them do that already.

Oh god that is definitely way too far forward on the 2nd phase.

Now that you didn't get to the line you wanted, you're stuck fighting in heavy cover and they have more men. It's probably a good idea to fall back (vs in Phase 1 you actually had a good position you were just outnumbered by a lot)

Saw that coming. XD As you learned, the edge of the map towards the enemy side is not always safe if you don't know the reinforcement timing. Now, if you have a lot of cavalry and know where they come in, you can cheese the reinforcements and kill them instantly by parking cavalry literally on top of where they march in, but you didn't have enough for that. At the same time, you also saw 3 big brigades coming in and you're already outnumbered, so you should start pulling back your artillery at this point or they're going to get overrun.

Good job finding artillery alone. You may notice the other batteries rotating to try and canister your cavalry. At the same time you should have committed your skirmishers to take heat off them just in case, though they didn't get shot.

You forgot about the supply you captured, could have been shepherding it back to your lines the entire time. Also force retreat empty supply.

And now you can see the fear of the AI getting aggressive and your artillery getting left behind. ;X

Unfortunately you didn't know the map, so you didn't know it's supposed to be a slow retreat north. That's the other disadvantage of pushing so far south, you're now very exposed and have a long retreat path back to the next strong point.

Good job remember to pause more in frantic spots.

You chose to defend in the south even though the enemy had entrenched units in woods instead of pulling back further north and forcing them back onto open ground/fields. The recommendations the map gives of where to hold up are not necessarily bad ones.

The early attacks were probably okay (at least phase 1), you just overcommitted to the idea and didn't continue falling back.

When you keep getting frontal charged, one thing you can do to relieve pressure is to crash your cavalry into that spot (who were just sitting around doing nothing) if you didn't have them flanking.

"We don't need to fall back" -> AI mass wave charges finally XD

Your south group way overstayed but I think you realized that.

Capture weapons from capturing brigades, you need to outnumber them, morale broken, and have their retreat path cut off.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2016 at 2:37 PM, Hitorishizuka said:

Streaming thoughts:

Don't forget to reinforce/rebuild your brigades between battles. An artillery brigade with only 3 guns isn't very effective and is vulnerable to getting shattered instantly on taking fire if you misposition them, wasting valuable experience.

It's not shameful to pause to reorient multiple brigades at once if you're having problems with the UI.

Keep skirmishers at long range and at flanks and keep an eye on them. The AI loves to charge them because they have so few men and you have to force retreat ASAP or else you'll lose them like you did. If they get caught in melee they will die.

Detach skirmishers (it's a button) from your largest brigades to give you even more options to maneuver and flank and extend your defensive lines with. Skirmishers also have better vision and better cover in open ground.

Like before, you have brigades just sitting out contesting in the open. Furthermore, you sent your largest brigade off to sit in the middle of a field while letting your smaller one sit in a fort and get mauled by a lot of return fire while being outnumbered. You didn't have to contest to the east at all yet (and if you had kept skirmishers alive/detached more you could have stalled even better) and could have been using that brigade the entire time to instead inflict damage in the north. At one point you had them standing in the open field shooting enemy brigade in the forest--almost literally the worst possible situation.

Watch the range on your troops. Your dismounted cavalry skirmishers were getting shot from out of their own range in poor cover, so they were basically taking damage for free. (Again, protect your cavalry, they should basically never be allowed to take return fire if you can at all help it.)

Watch the facing of your troops. It's rarely necessary to prioritize to tell them to shoot at something different, especially if it's to their left or right. Walton brigade wheels right to shoot at the cavalry (caused by poor positioning of your forces) and gives up a flank shot for free to the enemy it was already dueling (and losing to). In general it is far more efficient to use maneuver to effectively force your troops to shoot at what you want instead of constantly queuing attack orders.

Again, protect your artillery. Not only does having them sit at long range not really accomplish much, but as you saw they're vulnerable to being isolated and charged by random brigades if your battle lines aren't strong.

If you capture enemy supply, you can use it to replenish your own troops if you can manage to guide it around the battle lines to your own forces.

Attack or defend in groups, sending brigades off on their own rarely accomplishes much unless they're super elites or something and you really know what you're doing. You had a brigade on its own in the top left pushing an attack while your other nearby one was sitting in the fort secure. Either attack together or let them retreat while you consolidate your defensive position.

(Post battle)

Spend your Career points -before- you buy anything. Actually, first scout the remaining battles and see how brigades you're supposed to bring so you know whether you need to put points into Army Organization or you can take Training/Medicine/whatever. (Ideally take Politics before each grand battle if you can afford to.)

Don't reinforce your first brigades with recruits unless they were deliberately going to be a bulletcatcher brigade. Veterancy to give better skills is crucial later in the campaign. Fighting enemy 3 stars with only 0-1 star brigades is completely awful.

Don't ever use rebored farmers, they're complete junk. Go to armory and sell all of them.

Max size skirmishers is a questionable investment, doubly so with such a bad carbine. If you're going to use dedicated skirmishers, 1-200 men only and with one of the actually good rifles like Sharps.

Max size artillery is also a questionable investment. Better to keep size around 8-12 both for economics and so you can swap them to bigger/better guns more easily.

Friendly Fire: If it becomes a thing, superior troops are better able to be effective and limit risk to friendlies, and the more so at close range where fire can be more selective, so aht should be a thing too.  

UGG Skirmishers for the most part know how to evade as part of skirmishing.  Such behavior, especially for sharpshooters, should be a default that is countered by HOLD (which for skirmishers may be less demanding than formed line  troops.

Why take POLITICS as a rule before a big battle?  That enables larger armies, but too much that runs into the scaling system (which I understand is in flux,not that I understand how it did/does work at the moment). 

How do people feel about a battalion of a few hundred Miss Rifle skirmishers early in the war to whittle down artillery in position from long range? They fire slowly,but it is a sitting target. (They might also shoot t corps commanders, but that would be disreputable at this stage of the war.)   

BTW, does buying weapons stimulate additional availability of that type of weapon or is availability unrelated to purchases. 

7 hours ago, MikeK said:

Why take POLITICS as a rule before a big battle?  That enables larger armies, but too much that runs into the scaling system (which I understand is in flux,not that I understand how it did/does work at the moment). 

How do people feel about a battalion of a few hundred Miss Rifle skirmishers early in the war to whittle down artillery in position from long range? They fire slowly,but it is a sitting target. (They might also shoot t corps commanders, but that would be disreputable at this stage of the war.)   

BTW, does buying weapons stimulate additional availability of that type of weapon or is availability unrelated to purchases. 

You get the most benefit from taking Politics before Grand Battles because those battles have the highest rewards. Also gives an increase in cash, don't forget that, you can then burn that off on smaller battles accelerating development of veterans if you feel like.

Dedicated skirmisher brigades with expensive rifles should IMO not be exposed to fire of any kind because their rifles cost too much. None of them get the kind of range to truly snipe a ranged target the way you're describing in an effective matter, anyway.

I've not seen such a thing, no.

10 hours ago, MikeK said:

Politics only adds recruits and money, its organization that increases size of units and your army..

• Like 1

Remember, pause at the start to take everything in!

Usual comment that you need to learn how to detach Skirmishers and use them appropriately. They flank effectively, are acceptable units to use to draw fire, and can run en masse cheaper than the big infantry block to cap VP.

What you've missed so far is that the game automatically emplaces a couple artillery brigades at the front in designated spots. Yes this gives them cover but with the way the game systems are designed right now they can still shoot fine from right behind an infantry brigade anyway, LOS be damned, so it's far better to withdraw them slightly.

Again, force withdraw (flag icon on bottom right when a unit is selected) useless units like empty ammo wagons to have them remove themselves off the field. Same with captured enemy brigades and brigades of your own that are too wounded to be useful and risk shattering that you can't combine with another.

If you actually want to know what the enemy has left, that's what Recon 4 gives you.

And yep, lost an artillery because they were stuck in a fort.

You've got more cavalry right on top of the Pittsburgh Landing VP sitting there being useless, should have sent them far west as well.

Don't trigger Charge from too far out, units will start draining Condition as they start their run from there, which is a waste if they're outside of shooting range. Maneuver a lot closer before triggering Charge.

Your generals are sitting around in the back doing nothing. They should be supporting your advances or at least bolstering your defenses.

Not sure why you are moving your newly supplied brigades off to the side. You're fighting time at this point to get to the VPs, you need to be moving forward or at least not so out of the way.

Leaving your units with run on all the time is starting to take its toll. Those units are now going to go at an absolute crawl through all the forests ahead. They're also fairly useless in melee, to boot. You can see this when two infantry brigades fail to kill an artillery brigade of all things.

The time limit is only a pain because you don't pause and have a lot of units sitting around doing nothing at any given point in time. :)

Don't keep giving orders after you order melee, you're canceling your previous charge order and it has a cooldown.

You didn't capture, why are you moving your cavalry off...VPs count directly on the flag, you need to stop moving past flags and move directly on them.

Argh, don't put 2 star generals in Brigade slots when you still have Division and even Corps commanders not a 2 star.

Melee cav should get Mounted Training, not Discipline. You can play around morale loss by using them better.

• Like 1

Argh, don't put 2 star generals in Brigade slots when you still have Division and even Corps commanders not a 2 star.

Could you elaborate on that?

Also, Got ep8 up, these are pre recorded ones for the holidays so i wont be able to implement your suggestions yet.

you have 2 star general commanding Brigade, but entire Division is commanded by single star General.. it would be better to move that 2 star General to a Corps Commander, then use single star generals for Divisions, and only if some are still left assign them to Brigades..

• Like 1

Episode 8:

Haha, oh dear, this battle. Yeah, this is going to surprise you if you didn't know what is coming.

As always, detach skirmishers for flanking/scouting.

Brigade sitting in open ground to shoot isn't very good unless you catch the enemy on a crossing.

Enemy brigade charging with less men--yes you will win but it was the ideal time to swing the cavalry in to countercharge. Oh, good you do, little late though and they retreat far enough that you can't finish them.

Aaaaaand yep, now you're surrounded with brigades all out of position. You didn't know this coming in but the best play was instead to fortify the woods on the right (killing the skirmishers for free as they walk in) and wait for your reinforcements to hit, then sweep the map.

Never put your own troops in a crossing to fight, they take big penalties.

Charging at 50% condition isn't very effective.

Cavalry with 0 condition (or <80% really) shouldn't be used to charge. Just stash them somewhere and wait for condition to recover.

• Like 1

Episode 9:

You forgot to pull your southern starting forces back a bit into better cover. They're just sitting out in the open but thankfully the AI is dumb and just charges. Also from experience the northern forces being pushed up too far just lets them get outflanked if you can't push the center fast enough...which you're about to see.

Given that the North is the one getting meleed and losing morale, you should rotate your general up there since the Center isn't doing anything.

Need to move your cannons up. Your general is still sitting way in the back. As you see, blindly drawing multi-brigade moves just has your units wander into melee...

Other than in-battle Supply, I've heard that capturing will reduce the amount you'll have to refill at the end of the battle from cash to get to your normal Supply value.

Uh...as you can see, lateral movements with brigades is currently not recommended. It's far better to adjust by tightening your line  on the advance and then drawing one brigade back and all the way across and around your formation as necessary.

You could have pushed and used the free brigades to absorb losses while getting free kills on your personal brigades and more loot capture and more experience gained, honestly.

And at the end is how I usually yell at you to check battles before assigning points, you need AO badly for Gaines Mill.

• Like 1

Yes, good initial instincts. One thing to note, however, is that your frontage on a left flank attack isn't wide enough to support all of your forces. I like to leave a couple brigades in the south in the cover there to pin them and keep them from pushing out too far when they start falling back.

Small maps like this are also good ones for sniper skirmishers to get a lot of work done where you can micro them.

Your flank is probably too wide. You had cover on their side of the river you could have used to get your first brigade into firing range and then get your other forces across the face on the north and into position.

Tyler could have stayed there and you could have brought your forces up to support instead of falling back. That's the position you wanted anyway.

You wasted a lot of time moving your artillery up around to the north. In a situation like this where you could have had good cross cover, you could have left them right on the other side of the river from the cover and let them get medium range flank shots the entire time before having to be moved up.

Cavalry not doing anything when they should have been charging the enemy cavalry.

Left your left brigades on run unnecessarily. Also weird brigade drawing placement. In a situation like this, generally advance forward with units in cover first, then push the open field flankers in to do damage. You lost a lot of men in the open by not having things timed correctly because you're too attached to drawing out fancy multi-brigade moves instead of moving them into place one by one. ;X

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Perkon said:

Unfortunately " You are not allowed to ignore that member.", being a mod doesnt mean you can spam your video here.

I am not a mod in this section of the forums, im from the Naval Action section. As far as i am aware there is no where stated that we are not allowed to post, or as you say "spam" our videos anywhere. Il admit, part of me posting this here is for exposure here, another major reason is for feedback, Hitori and koro and others have been amazing with providing me with feedback on my campaign which i other wise would not have gotten. Regardless, if there is ever a section more suitable for this created il gladly use that. Until then, my apologies for this "spam".

• Like 1

I own naval action but never really got in to it. Perhaps you can point me to a good place to read some guides about what even to do at first? From what I'm reading the game is really deep and has a lot of options but the start is just a ship rocking in the sea and a chat full of people. I almost gave up at once :).

It seems very serious too somehow with tribunals, court verdicts and bans for bad and unsportsmanlike behavior.