Game-Labs Forum

Editor or full custom battles?

James Cornelius

Hello everyone (and particularly developers),

I was wondering if there are any plans for a map or battle editor to have truly custom battles. As an example of what I am talking about, I would refer to the old game Civil War Generals 2 by Sierra (which I think this game is, in many ways, a spiritual successor to) and in addition to the normal campaign there, there was a fully functional editor which allowed you to create maps utilizing any terrain, and complete orders of battle from scratch. Such a feature in the full version of this game would add tremendous replayability, particularly since it would allow a form of controlled modding whereby the community could greatly expand upon the core game. This might also better facilitate a non-linear campaign, which many have asked for, as you could create various branching scenarios based upon a historical starting point.

Otherwise, keep up the good work!

• Like 1

On a more general scale, modding tools would be very welcome. Some of us here are already experienced modders in Total War games and we'd definitely spent hundreds of hours for free developping some aspects of the genre like 1776 or the Napoleonic Wars.

But the devs did not release tools for what you ask in UG:G and I really doubt they will with UG:CW.

Let's hope they at least release a custom multiplayer mod 4v4 where you can pick your units and weapons. This would sell the game by the thousands. Communities are awaiting for this to happen.

Alright, back to the topic. I would not mind a map editor either.

11 minutes ago, fallendown said:

Or Better yet, have a full Campaign/mission editor similar to Norm Kroger's Age of Rifles. Where you could edit the maps, unit composition, uniforms, weapon types, unit names, commanders, etc. 

I still play it now and then, just because of the full scenario builder.

6 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

I still play it now and then, just because of the full scenario builder.

Exactly, I've loved that game ever since it came out. The sheer possibilities are endless. Sadly I can't get the sound to work on DOSBox for some reason.

Edited by fallendown

This sort of proves my point: a full, or at least semi-full, scenario editor for UGCW would add TREMENDOUS replay value. I don't of course know Game Labs' business model, but consider the avenues that open up with just this limited ability to, for lack of a better word, mod the game (please don't misunderstand me here, as I am not asking for full modding ability - just a scenario editor).

There are many games out there that demonstrate the value of limited ability to edit scenarios or other parameters. If UGG can be seen as the "prototype" of UGCW, then I don't see the lack of an editor there as any argument against one here. Again, I'd cite Civil War Generals 2 as a good example in that it made it easy to not only do your own battles from scratch, but easily have a modified historical battle to easily show what might have been.

I'd respectfully ask the Developers to consider this proposal.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, James Cornelius said:

This sort of proves my point: a full, or at least semi-full, scenario editor for UGCW would add TREMENDOUS replay value. I don't of course know Game Labs' business model, but consider the avenues that open up with just this limited ability to, for lack of a better word, mod the game (please don't misunderstand me here, as I am not asking for full modding ability - just a scenario editor).

There are many games out there that demonstrate the value of limited ability to edit scenarios or other parameters. If UGG can be seen as the "prototype" of UGCW, then I don't see the lack of an editor there as any argument against one here. Again, I'd cite Civil War Generals 2 as a good example in that it made it easy to not only do your own battles from scratch, but easily have a modified historical battle to easily show what might have been.

I'd respectfully ask the Developers to consider this proposal.

We live in the age of modding. UGCW must be the only game I play in Vanilla. Look at M&B Warband, all its audience and success comes from the modding tools...

Edited by Grognard_JC

So there is no information regarding whether there will be any sort of workshop/modding support? I made this account seeking that information, I like what I see so far, but I hesitate on buying without information. I strongly prefer games that have modding support because of the increased replay-ability.

Edited by Seppynon
Edited for punctuation

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Found this interesting concept:

If you chose Custom Battles, and Scenario instead of Own Battle, you get the Historical troops for the engagement. But 0 Money and 0 Men. So you can't add troops.

But, you have Supply. So you can decrease the Supply amount to get money back. And maybe disbanding a unit, you can start to rearrange your troops better than initial Order of Battle.

For Example: Custom Devil's Den.

Edit: I just realized that the perks they come with are random in this option and change with each loading.

Longstreet does no good as Corps Commander (having Cavalry or Arty as 2nd random Perk) and since i don't give a hello kitty about the 3rd Area Perk (or the bugged Arty Ammo Perk), McLaws goes to Corps Commander. Then I chose Infantry and Tactics, getting +5 Melee & Firearms for most of the units and +5% Speed for All.

The Artillery and Skirmishers units are the worst in the rooster, but i want the Arty at least to be as good as possible. So I disband the Skirmishers and the Arty units (Alexander brings 24#  24Pdr Howitzers...) and the worst armed Infantry. Now I have the less experienced troops in my pool. Reimburse the Supply units to get all the money I can. That's $50.000. Making this mix-maxing you can chose which perks they get. The objective is to keep as 3 star units as possible.

I create an Infantry unit with the crappiest men in my army, and give them the worst weapons I have 1880 with Pattern 1853 Enfield (those are going to be The Crap Suicide Assault Brigade). Then Recreated the Arty with the most experienced men ---> it gave me 3 Stars from scratch. After that Recreate the Infantry. But you must deplete your Men pool to 0 prior to disband/create units in order to not mix the trooper quality.

Then I had to ziggy-zaggy with the weapons. Disband/Create/Swap Weapons/Repeat... until pleases you.