Game-Labs Forum

Regiment size

i64man

Guys, I loved this game. I started the second major battle, the battle of Shiloh and have just one question. My regiments size as a union player have a max of 1500, but the confederate regiment size are upward of 2500 to 3000. Is this due to some choices during player setup (i.e. Army organization) or some other factor? So far, I finished holding my objectives on the first two parts of the mission, but my regiments are getting a beating.

2 minutes ago, i64man said:

(i.e. Army organization)

You nailed it  ;)  AO allows you more men per unit, more units per division and more divisions per corps (if you put cursor on the "+" to upgrade Army org it tells you wich upgrades will be obtained with the next level... )...btw I doubt the usefullnes of having more than 2000 men in a unit but it is allways good been able to do it

Thank a lot, JJ. That is what I was thinking, but man, I saw those formations coming at my units and had to run back into the treeline to help with cover. I am having a blast with this game, hope when the final product comes out, it has more missions on both sides.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, i64man said:

hope when the final product comes out, it has more missions on both sides.

in the site http://www.ultimategeneral.com/ultimate-general-civil-war/ they promise these additions in a couple  of months...

•      Battle of Fredericksburg
  •     Battle of Stones River
  •     Battle of Chancellorsville
  •     Battle of Gettysburg
  •     Battle of Chickamauga
  •     Battle of Cold Harbor
  •     Battle of Richmond
  •     Battle of Washington
  •     + 13 small battles, unique for each side, summing up to 26 different engagements

1 hour ago, agnez said:

The maximum number of soldiers in the infantry brigade - 2500. For Player, at AI - 3000... :D 

If you like huge units try "join division" to merge two big ones (do not really know if there is an actual  limit on maximun).... but I find them only useful for very puntual task (i.e. assaulting a bridge) and maybe when one of their leaders is killed (I am assuming the leader of the second unit taking command...but no definitive information).

Game mechanics (more precisely game perceived mechanics until a manual confirms so) make medium units more useful....

- you cover more front with 2x1500 units than 1x 3000

- you can find flanks easier with more units, yours will be more protected.

- a unit (probable exception artillery firing canister)  shots  -seems to shot- to ONE other  unit so if you charge with two units one of them has more possibilities of the charge arriving to its target

- In general if something bothers a unit you save half your power if the strenght was divided in two.

Edited by JJPettigrew
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JJPettigrew said:

If you like huge units try "join division" to merge two big ones (do not really know if there is an actual  limit on maximun).... but I find them only useful for very puntual task (i.e. assaulting a bridge) and maybe when one of their leaders is killed (I am assuming the leader of the second unit taking command...but no definitive information).

Game mechanics (more precisely game perceived mechanics until a manual confirms so) make medium units more useful....

- you cover more front with 2x1500 units than 1x 3000

- you can find flanks easier with more units, yours will be more protected.

- a unit (probable exception artillery firing canister)  shots  -seems to shot- to ONE other  unit so if you charge with two units one of them has more possibilities of the charge arriving to its target

- In general if something bothers a unit you save half your power if the strenght was divided in two.

I play with brigades of 2,000 soldiers. For me, that's enough.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, agnez said:

I play with brigades of 2,000 soldiers. For me, that's enough.

I agree with that 2000 being the balance point , unit are quite resilient at that point, and the detached skirmishers (about 300) are a force to take account for..

Last but not least its a pretty round number that allows quite easy to weigh the unit state: at a glance  youo know if it is untouched, deployed their skirmishers, or heavily battered.

numbers by the book in real life (I assume most know this,) was as follows:

110 men & officers per company,

Usually 10 companies per Regiment (some confederate regiments had as many as 13 companies, cavalry always has 13 companies)  @ 10 companies per regiment, manpower counts were estimated to be 1,125 men & officers, add 110 per each additional over 10 companies.

2 regiments at a minimum for a brigade to form, not more than 5 regiments per brigade. Thus 2 ten company regiments would be a brigade of 2,250, add 1,125 for each additional 10 company regiment up to 5, or 5,625 men and officers in a five, ten company regimented brigade.  (So at this point I'd say the game is short changing us as players.)

2 brigades minimum for a division to form, not more than 6 brigades per division.

2 divisions minimum for a corps to form, depending on the side, union usually had 3 divisions per corps, confederates had 4 - 5 divisions per corps.

9 minutes ago, A. P. Hill said:

numbers by the book in real life (I assume most know this,) was as follows:

110 men & officers per company,

Usually 10 companies per Regiment (some confederate regiments had as many as 13 companies, cavalry always has 13 companies)  @ 10 companies per regiment, manpower counts were estimated to be 1,125 men & officers, add 110 per each additional over 10 companies.

2 regiments at a minimum for a brigade to form, not more than 5 regiments per brigade. Thus 2 ten company regiments would be a brigade of 2,250, add 1,125 for each additional 10 company regiment up to 5, or 5,625 men and officers in a five, ten company regimented brigade.  (So at this point I'd say the game is short changing us as players.)

2 brigades minimum for a division to form, not more than 6 brigades per division.

2 divisions minimum for a corps to form, depending on the side, union usually had 3 divisions per corps, confederates had 4 - 5 divisions per corps.

You also have to add in that Confederate Divisions on average were nearly the same size as a Union Corps.Also while Union Batteries were of the same weapon type, Confederates used whatever they had to create a battery. The Union also had 6 guns in a battery while the Confederates had 4. Interestingly enough we still use the Confederate model for our current Artillery Batteries....