Game-Labs Forum

Won My First Campaign as the Confederates - Thoughts

Butch

Wow. Just wow. The music at the end of that last battle at Antietem was nothing short of epic. The Federals deployed some 85 thousand men against my 48 thousand. The amount of death on the field was just borderline illegal. They lost 65 thousand LMAO! Lincoln signed that peace treaty nice and quick and my campaign ended with a Grand Victory. Very, very satisfying end to the campaign.

Here are some thoughts and reflections based on this first run through.

1. The rifles you equip your brigades are often the difference between victory and defeat. The Mississippi  and Lorenz rifles outclass the Springfields by a mile. The extra accuracy makes every volley lethal. General Hood's brigade in that last battle had about 5000 kills defending the Sunken Road. 

2. I feel like the Discipline upgrade is a lot better than the Stamina one when it comes to upgrading infantry brigades. Stamina is good if you intend to make your second upgrade the Assault Course which increases melee. I'd love to see more options for upgrades. 

3. Artillery is a huge ammo sink. Holding fire is very important when you know the battle is going to be long. Opening fire when the enemy is in shell or cannister range is preferable if you know ammo is going to be tight. 

4. I wish the campaign had some form of way of weakening the enemy war effort. Maybe some sort of attrition mechanic where the more successful you are in each battle, the less efficient and large the enemy army is in future battles. Winning major battles doesn't feel special because it doesn't really affect the campaign or the enemy in the future. 

5. I'd love to see a victory mechanic. Maybe victory points? I know the game is still far from finished but going forward I really hope that Darth finds some sort of way to keep the campaign interesting. The campaign progression and flow is the weakest thing about this game.

6. The career points system is very cool. I feel like Logistics and medicine are very weak choices to invest points in and maybe they could use a buff. 

7. Capturing supply wagons and prisoners gives you extra manpower, rifles and supplies. At the end of a battle it shows you what you captured and what was rescued. I'm not very sure what rescued means but I'm assuming it's weapons you picked up from your fallen soldiers? The interface needs to do a better job of explaining what and how you 'rescue' weapons. 

8. The supply wagon ammo bar needs to show a number. I can't tell if there's a difference between a supply wagon that has 25000 supply as opposed to 12000. 

Overall the game is looking very good and I can only see it getting better!

Confederate Victory.jpg

• Like 8

On 11/23/2016 at 6:48 PM, Butch said:

4. I wish the campaign had some form of way of weakening the enemy war effort. Maybe some sort of attrition mechanic where the more successful you are in each battle, the less efficient and large the enemy army is in future battles. Winning major battles doesn't feel special because it doesn't really affect the campaign or the enemy in the future.

8. The supply wagon ammo bar needs to show a number. I can't tell if there's a difference between a supply wagon that has 25000 supply as opposed to 12000.

I couldn't agree more. Congrats on your victory.

• Like 1

1. The rifles you equip your brigades are often the difference between victory and defeat. The Mississippi  and Lorenz rifles outclass the Springfields by a mile. The extra accuracy makes every volley lethal. General Hood's brigade in that last battle had about 5000 kills defending the Sunken Road. 

I've been running a skirmisher brigade with the Whitworth with the telescopic sight, they are able to route most artillery batteries in two volleys  from such a range its glorious.

With my infantry brigades however I'm finding it incredibly hard to keep them equipped with decent rifles due to limited stock.

• Like 1