Game-Labs Forum

gaines mill battle

anibal barca

iam playing the confederate campaign and i have one corp with four divisions.

then in the gaines mill battle have two or more corps for give star button and play the battle and with one corp i not can continue playing the campaing,because i have not money for do other corp with other divisions and this game not can not pass a turn,any solution for this?,thanks.

On the flip side, I'm about to fight Gaines Mill as the Union. I'm allowed one corps with 20 brigades, and one with 10... My organisation currently only allows 3 divisions, 4 brigades each per Corps. So I'm missing 8 potential brigades, and thus outnumbered by 20k at max brigade size. Going to be rough.

10 minutes ago, Koro said:

Again, just sell some weapons that you captured or take out a few supplies to be able to buy that extra corps and put 1 brigade in there from the 1. corps or more as you please. It is not a gamestopper. 

can you really take ut supplies once buyed? did not try that one :)   sadly the weapon options was not available to me .... as said already refitted my army using the last drop <_<

Edited by JJPettigrew

I should clarify. As it stands currently, I can deploy two Corps to Gaines Mill: One of up to 20 brigades, and one of up to 10. Due to my organisation level, the max number of brigades I can have in a Corps is 12. Thus, I am unable to reorganise my brigades, and am stuck with 12/20 and 12/10 brigades respectively. Ideally, I would simply commit both corps to the 20/20 phase, but that is not an option.

Ah yes, well that is unfortunate. Two brigades will be left out then. I would advise in future campaigns to look ahead at what the grand battle looks like so you can take the necessary steps before getting there. Simply enter the deployment screen and make make notes, then exit again.

• Like 2

You're not wrong, but I feel that more flexibility in deployment would not be a bad thing. I've yet to fight the battle, so we'll see how it goes.

I'd love to hear how you did!

Piece of advice for Gaines Mill:

Until the CSA gets within rifle range, keep the Brigade on the right side of the main line in the woods just behind the defenses. Otherwise, Arty will will shell him all day with the flanking bonus. I moved him up onto the defenses once the CSA began their assault, with another brigade and an arty battery in the woods just behind him.

Gaines' Mill is brutal. So far it's the only battle I was forced to take the Draw on. The CSA just has way, way too many men, I was outnumbered at least 2-1. Had the same problem of AO not being high enough to bring 20 brigades in the first stage. Honestly, it's kind of obnoxious always being outnumbered as Union.

CSA gets enough brigades to keep the entire left two points in contact while still having a hammer to drive through the right flank where cover sucks and towards the hill. Your reinforcements arrive at roughly the right time to preserve the hill but not to keep their right flank from then sweeping down the entire left and dislodging you. It's extremely difficult to hold. I had a chance at taking back one VP in the last minutes of the battle but then 3 more fresh brigades showed up to contest it and I ran out of time.

It was a very bad day. 12000 casualties on both sides. They had such a huge advantage in numbers for the first 2/3rds that I really could do little more than try to hold until my reinforcements arrived. Was pushed back to the Hill, and ended in a defeat due to casualties.

Desperately waiting for contour lines. I find it very difficult to effectively plan a defense without them.