Game-Labs Forum

Events explained in detail

Instead of winners getting the prizes, how about keep the PVP events for those who like such things but get points for kills, assists, damage done, in the events and on the open world outside the events and have a store at the capital where you can spend your points on paints and ships. Of course the better the prize the more points needed. Of course this will be exploited by alts but if players are desprate enough they will find an exploit in anything. 

1 hour ago, van der Decken said:

So are we going to be require to purchase another OP and sail safely to the Bahamas and stock it with ships just to be able to participate? If so, that means we lose production from an OP :(

The OP does not specifically say where the events are to be located.

I like it, but there will be abuse for sure.

There should be hard punishment for arranged fights / alt abuse. First time a warning and then a ban would be nice imo.

It also sux that theres prices only for the top 10. People who participate 2 times a week wont have a chance of winning anything ever. Why should they go there? If you are new or just not good at the game you probably will sink there 3 times in a row and never enter this area again. So giving value to each kill which doesnt get reset over time, like the suggested PvP currency or even rare materials (some silver / live oak for each kill?) would give people a good feeling going into the zone.

But that can be adjusted later, most important is that this feature comes asap given how dead PvP is atm.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Diodo said:

Having it in the OW simply breaks roleplay and immersion to me.

As a pirate, I kind of like it, though.

What I hope happens:

During PvP events, 80% of the PvPers go there and fight each other. Certainly all the duelists and group vs group bros will go.

Knowing that most of the PvPers are over there, lots of cargo ship captains pick this time to move cargo.

As a pirate, this is my time to hit the major cargo routes to try and gank some unprotected cargo ships. All the people who would normally be hunting me are out having sweaty man battles in the designated area.

• Like 2

PVP Events

I see no words about changing the ROE rules. Given that, I have to admit that I see at least one big potential for abuse here. Teams of veteran PvP hunters stalking anyone weaker and ganking them one after another, taking turns getting the kills so the members of their team rise up the leaderboard quickly. Since this is an individual skill test, the one suggestion I have to counter this would be to impose a strictly 1v1 ROE without reinforcement. I would also suggest that a tag against a weaker BR ship is only allowed if the BR of the two ships are within ? 50% ? of the lesser. IE: a Cerberus cannot be attacked by an Indefatigable, even though they are within the same Rating class. A Cerb's (BR 100) biggest attacker would be a Surprise (BR 140). For the daring, allow the weaker ship to tag a BR up to 100% higher. Having an upper limit allows SOLs to battle each other (and gain combat experience outside of a PB) without worrying about lower rated ships eating them for lunch through stern camping.

Also, rather than basing the victory points (VP's) on defeated ship 'class', which I assume means a 4th rate ship is worth more than a 5th, which is worth more than a 6th. Given my first suggestion, I would award VP's based on BR spread. Base victory award of 100 points, adjusted by the BR difference. Defeating a ship with a 50% less BR only awards 50 points. Defeating a ship with 100% more BR awards 200 points (the maximum). This awards points for skill, not for who has the highest class ships or access to the overpowered BP restricted ships.

To address the alternating Alt kill issue, do not award VP's for defeating a ship you've already killed in this event. People with multiple Alts could still game the system, but listing the names of conquests for each winner would allow public review and quickly reveal anyone who kept beating the same opponents each time.

I make these suggestions to help balance the scales. Less emphasis on bankrolls and clans and make the events enjoyable for all on an individual basis.

There's my 2 cents.

Edited by Angus McGregor
Clarification that I was talking about the PvP Event system
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Havelock said:

I like the return of events!

I'm not sure about the top 10 player thing though. If you have 10 players who got 2 kills and 30 players who got 1 kill these 30 will get nothing even though they sank more ships. Maybe you should get a prize for every 5 or 10 event kills overall?

In your design I think assists and deaths should count too. Leaderboards should go least deaths > most kills > most assists. This way, if you know a player stacked up a lot of kills he will become a higher priority target for the rest to push him off the leaderboard. Said player can now choose to either leave the area and secure his score or stay and rack up more kills.

I agree than assists and deaths should also count. If people are hunting in group of 3-4 one should have the kill but the other should have assist as well if they do enough damage. Continue the good work of testing features, the game will continu to improve. 

4 hours ago, admin said:

• Ironman pve challenge: Player will be tested against constant stream of NPC reinforcements in the instance. 

Sounds like absolute madness, I love it.

How does this ironman challenge affect the player? Does he gain XP for this? Does he lose a ship dura, officer life, or crew?

4 hours ago, Chijohnaok said:

Dear Mr. Admin,

I like the concept.

It is now up to us the players,  to test it it out, see what works, and what does not work. And if there are exploits, to discover and expose them for further fine tuning.

^^^ This.

And maybe have the zone move around..or give everyone a freeport near the zone.

Couple of other things :

ROE rules ? as for tagging, battles stay open or just one non-stop instance ? and can allies attack allies ?

Assume reward is a redeemable.

Edited by Jeheil

37 minutes ago, sruPL said:

Only if someone does damage... Same problem with hostility. You surrender when battle starts, no one gets kill.

True, but would also be one of the most stupid things to do. Go on a long journey to the event area just to surrender at the start of the battle and respawn in your last port. But well, humans, everything is possible I guess :D 

At least someone who is fast enough to put some crew on it gets a new ship.

This is true, but getting better requires the ability to learn. Now you might not quite understand how the hell that surprise camped your backside off and stole your buccentare...but by getting involved you will know thats a problem...then you need to go seek the remediation.

Last night 3 surprises and a connie caught a L'Ocean. If the captain had been a muppet he would have lost his shiny ship. As it was he calmly and patiently demasted 3 of the ships and then snotted the 4th into submission.

• Like 2

Didn't like the ideas of arenas and pvp events before, this one doesn't sound any better. People will farm with Alts using grey ships till everyone gets what they want and admins will disable the event just like the last time. Devs are trying to fight fire with marshmallows.

Edited by Snoggy

There was talk, at one time, by some of the nation leaders about creating a player produced pvp zone. Every nation given a port in that zone so that all the pvp'ers could hunt. The idea fell by the wayside. What the admin is proposing is essentially the same thing. I have a few comments, questions and suggestions...

PvP events:

How long will these events last?

I assume alliances are still intact and that you can't attack you own nation in the event zone? I think that would be best even though making a free for all would expand pvp opportunities. I think the test needs to start with nation identities still in place.

Is this leading up to a shop that points earned in pvp by both the winner and loser can spend for unique items? I believe that was presented by you at one point as a future option. In my opinion there needs to be higher rewards for both the winner and loser of the fights during the events. The event may actually have the opposite effect on pvp. Noobs may be more reluctant to participate in that area because they will assume that all the vet pvp'ers will be there and they are more likely to lose than win. Therefore, an incentive in the form of spendable "points" or higher xp/money rewards could counter this effect.

Overview:  I love the idea. I like hunting so don't make the event area to small or out to sea. I would also like to see where I stand against others. Please let the leader boards contain a list of at least the top 25 guys but give a player number ranking to any player involved. That would show how many we are competing against and allow us to track are pvp growth. It will be frustrating for those like me that may not make the top ten player list, to not know if I'm in the top 15 or the top 250. My number doesn't need to be made public or put on a website but I'd like to know.

PvE:

The time-trial sounds like loads of fun. The ironman I have concerns about. It sounds enjoyable but eventually you will sink won't you? With only one repair it is only a matter of time till you go down. How will this be addressed?

Other challenges: Run the gauntlet - a special map with a bay full of nasty towers. Ships must make it to the far side. Outclassed - ships start by facing a ship one size larger. After completion they can accept one that will match them against a ship 2 sizes higher, and then three, and then four, etc. 

Leader boards: I would like to see a global leader board. It sound as if you are saying the leader boards will expire at the end of an event. Is that right? If it is then I request a global leader board that tracks successes over a long period of time.

7 hours ago, admin said:

If no-one comes to such designated pvp areas with good rewards then we all can finally agree that this game is PVE and nothing can make people to come out and fight ;). This will also answer the question why people don't pvp. 

YOU ALREADY KNOW WHY THERE IS LESS PvP! You just don't listen. There is less PvP because (a) quality ships are too valuable at present to risk, because (b) crafting them is too laborious and / or costly, because (c) getting resources and materials has become an almighty grind.

This aside, it seems like a good new element to the game.

Edited by Lannes
  • Like 3

Its hard to say he doesn't listen when he has already admitted that the crafting caused an unacceptable pve grind and that the plans are to change it.

Ship cost isn't that bad especially in the lower tier ships. If I loose all 5 dura of my ship in pvp I will make enough money to buy a new one.

I think If I wanted a game with leader boards and pvp arenas, or in this case "zones" I'd go start playing World of Warships or spend more time on Overwatch.  The appeal to this game has and always will be the hunt.  The cost vs risk in moving goods along the coast.  The risk of going out to grind solo missions knowing rats couple pop out of the free town at anytime.  Also thie risk of sailing for an hour and seeing nothing but AI fleet.    

A designated area where pvp zones will be spawning a couple times a day sounds like gods gift to traders everywhere.  Hey move your goods in 30mins, everyone will be down by Jamaica.......

The zones will be amusing for the first couple days until the really good guys keep farming them out and get all the loot.  And of course there will be the exploiters sinking alts.  Maybe we'll see a population spike for a couple days, but it'll settle back down to it's most recent low points because the devs fail to grasp the aspects of this game that truly make it great.  This is a bandaid.  Please fix the the other aspects of the game that keep driving your players away first.

• Like 6

First impression, it sounds like another arena. Which it essentially is.  But if it keeps people happy I don't much care. I can't say I'll bother to participate. I like the old event where you had to solve the puzzle of where, devise a strategy to get a chest and PvP your way in and out.  I like events with a bit of mental challenge and goal that could possibly be achieved without having the biggest ships and most men.  This new one seems very simplistic. Go here, PvP, collect reward.  

FYI- Won't take long for players to adopt a tactic of using large groups with several battleships and everyone else assisting. This will concentrate the kill points on the few key players resulting in shifting the odds of getting the rewards for your team. A sort of tweaked Zerg for the win.

I am hopeful for more challenging versions of game events in the future.

Edited by Bach
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Anne Wildcat said:

Probably will not take part in PVP events as I prefer to find PVP on the OW.  Just seems too arena-ish. It's nice though that people can't use their fleets in the events. Is there still going to be a store for points gained through PVP battles elsewhere?    I can also see the pull circles being problematic, pulling in people who don't want in.

The choice is yours. Folks have been bleating about lack of PVP.    Well here its is...PVP zones with high rewards is a guarantee to get all the PVP your heart desires.

Unless don't like Fair Fight PVP and you may prefer to Log Out or hide in Battle Result Screen in front of Enemy Capital and wait for the all clear from your Spy/Alt to give you your risk free Gangman Style Gank fix.  Like the Devs have said if this doesn't work then this game isn't really a PVP game. Unequal ganking isn't PVP. Like I said: The choice is yours.