Game-Labs Forum

Losing Control in Melee

Thonar

Heyho,

I would just like to ask if you have the same experience and what you think about it: When a unit is fighting in melee it usually becomes impossible to regain control back over the unit before the melee has ended.

That is fine to a certain amount as of the crazyness and brutalness of the melee in itself. But in some cases it ends up with a unit fleeing deep into enemy territory with a blinking white flag (no they haven't surrendered) without any chance to get back control over the unit to get it out of its misery of bad wayfinding.

So Melee should be at least abortable (fall back) and units should always flee in the direction of the closest allied unit.

• Like 2

Agreed. I don't mind seeing melee being a loss of control but we are lacking a bugler to at least give a general fallback order and the moral loss needs to be separated as it is annoying as hell to see them fight for 30secs and suddenly either group runs away from one another as both units moral just kept dropping.

As you  say, it is imposible to control.... And I have tried frantically to pull them back ......  but in perspective I  prefer it to be as it is,   Anyway  if fallback is allowed it should automatically rout.

Edited by JJPettigrew

I am not 100 percent against this feature, for reasons that during the actual conflict there are stories of commanders loosing control of their troops as they flee to the rear.  I hate seeing it happen, especially to my troops, I'd rather see it happen more frequently to my enemies. :)

That said, I would rather breaking and routed troops not leave the map entirely either.  Whether or not a commander could get them reactivated, and re-engaged, I'm still a bit up in the air about.  Some troops did flee to the extreme of the battlefield, and yet many times after they caught their breath, and regained their stamina and courage, they could be found advancing back into the fray in most cases.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Don't Escrow Taxes said:

Yes I agree, it is troubling that a totally broken / shattered unit disappears entirely from your order of battle.  At the very least the men should be redeposited into your recruitment pool.  

It is indeed strange , ok for captured units , but shattered ones should retain a cadre , an empty unit with no weapons and 0/10 men plus  its commanding officer if not lost.... on the other hand most men being gone as stragglers never to be seem again seems appropiate.

Edited by JJPettigrew

When a unit shatters, the core components NCOs, officers, but also, the some big well-known guys of the unit that give such a impression to the recruits have fallen. When all these human beings that made the spirit of the unit are out, then the unit does not "live" anymore. This is the way I see it, and I'm perfectly ok with this feature.

In MP campaign, shattering a very elite unit of your opponent should be key to victory. This could be very funny, interesting and RP in the same time.

2 hours ago, James Cornelius said:

I guess my issue is that the AI should be smarter about where it routs or automatically falls back. I have seen numerous occasions where the brigade routs or retreats TOWARDS the enemy's main force. Maybe a semi-hard code that if defaults to running in the direction of the corps commander unit?

Yeah, I've had units get captured/shattered because they got charged in melee directly from the front, lost, then retreated into the enemy units and got tangled up with more stuff and surrendered. Kinda dumb that that can happen. Had to basically sacrifice a brigade of cavalry to rescue them once the AI had retreated the captured brigade all the way through their lines.

12 hours ago, Hitorishizuka said:

Yeah, I've had units get captured/shattered because they got charged in melee directly from the front, lost, then retreated into the enemy units and got tangled up with more stuff and surrendered. Kinda dumb that that can happen. Had to basically sacrifice a brigade of cavalry to rescue them once the AI had retreated the captured brigade all the way through their lines.

That's also my main concern with melee currently.

I had something really annoying happening to me at 1st Bull Run. I counter charged the Union that was trying to cross the bridge. I won, but my unit would not obey retreating. Fine. I'm ok with this. BUT THEN : this unit got stuck on the bridge forever !!! Never rallied, just got shot to death for hours...

Anyone noticed it ?