Game-Labs Forum

French frigate Aréthuse (1792) - 3D Model

T1ckL35

Got the 3D print of the simplified version and have managed to zoom in enough to see how it went. It was printed out at a length of 50mm (around 1:1200 gaming size) and at 50 micron vertical layers (0.05mm) with a minimum width of 0.5mm for vertical thickness such as the sides etc.

Next job is to get some paints and paint it up and then add some masts and rigging :)

top.png

1.png

2.png

3.png

8.png

9.png

• Like 1

Thank you Rikard :)

On this scale it has made me realise that the eyesight isn't as good as it used to be though!

It's taken a while to get here from the original thought of going from a 3D model to a real one but has definitely been worth it

Not quite finished but masts made from paperclips and tied with cotton, and sails added (cheated a little by printing some out). Needs some ratlines and might consider some rigging and then just needs a final paint on the new bits :)

arethuse-sails-1-small.jpg

arethuse-sails-2-small.jpg

arethuse-sails-3-small.jpg

Edited by T1ckL35
  • Like 1

Ah, good idea Lieste - didnt think of fine plastic rod. I searched on the internet for some help but there was very limited detailed information/pictures about doing the rigging stage at a small scale.

I have dabbed the tied up ends with superglue to hold it but you are right, it would make it look and be easier to deal with rather than looping and knotting :)

Finally found some material to use as lower ratlines. Needed a bit of thread running around it to control it but it works fairly well :)

Oh, forgot to dry brush the shrouds and upwards to bring out some detail (as they are just plain black at the minute)

rigging-ratlines-1.jpg

rigging-ratlines-3.jpg

rigging-ratlines-4.jpg

rigging-ratlines-5.jpg

Edited by T1ckL35

Was going to upload an updated image with the mizzen ratlines added but it looks like the forum only allows you to upload 10 meg in total of attachments :(

Might have to go back and resize some of the older ones - unless an admin can increase the quota?

Thanks Hethwill :)

Had a few games with the 'Fire as she bears' ruleset with a friend but would like to give Sails of Glory a try too. Unfortunately it was with some lower quality models and some paper ones I made from a template online. Then again it should make this model stand out somewhat ;)

Hehe, thanks A. P. Hill

I'd love to get my own 3D printer and use it but it sounds like it can be a whole heap of configuration pain and can be costly.
I ended up using a UK company http://objectform.co.uk/ and the guy there called Scott was super helpful - taking the original and running checks and offering advice on how to improve it and fix it so it would print out ok. He said it didn't come out too bad but I was happy, it being the first print :)

A friend suggested doing one and printing it to 28mm (another wargaming size). That would be rather cool but huge and very expensive and would definitely need to be printed in pieces.

• 6 months later...
On 11/27/2016 at 11:04 PM, Alex Connor said:

Been trying to work out how Arethuse's bow looks. Quite different from usual french style, not least because the deck plans make it look like the platform of the head is at the same level as the weather deck. Seems to have a rail running from deckheight and attaching to the eagles wings that could be supporting the platform.

Most french frigates would look something like this...

Headrails1.png

From plans though, Arethuse's bow might be much higher and completely planked up, something like this.

Headrails2.png

Alternatively, might have the platform on the middle rail, a more conventional bow although I'm not sure what the upper rail is for then...

Headrails3.png

Anyway, hope this helps visualize what the bow looks like, probably one of the hardest parts to get right when you start building ships ;)

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but I can´t help myself :P

The reason the bow looks so unusual is that L' Aréthuse was designed/built by Pierre Ozanne, usually better known as a naval artist than as a naval architect (his most famous drawing probably is that of Ambuscade vs. La Bayonnaise).

Alex, I think your second drawing is spot on if compared to Ozanne´s sketches below:

Btw, I want a SoL with a bow like that:

:P

Edited by Malachi