Game-Labs Forum

Forthcoming shipbuilding changes [Heavily Moderated]

Stop complaining about pixels. Wipe will happen and ALL players including MODs and Devs will get their ships wiped. We will be starting again, but keep our ranks and Craft XP. So, please prepare accordingly. Talking about color system, it really sucked. Devs heading in the right direction and by cleaning up the mess they making it more organized for new players and us. It could be expanded if needed with much less problems. Please realize that this game is under development and it will be changing constantly. You are here to test things and help them build the game for everyone. 

Than better prepare for ~300 players online in primetime

Would have to agree, there should be no special ships for event and other rare items, that's just a wrong idea, im actually happy that your finally changing out of ship and module quality, this is one thing that has annoyed me in game for along time, all ships should have the same slots and the only determining factor is wood type, trim, regional bonus and modules used to alter ships, i like the way POTBS worked their design structure to ship and module building aswell as their whole economic design, everything was craftable and had its uses, you never had a tough time trying to find things its just weather you wanted to sail a distance to save some money or buy it there and then, worked far better plus it got people out and about moving around the seas to gather and buy things which would only just enhance more OW sea battles hopefully.

Think long and hard about what exactly you are going to do and make it right!!!

You need more info to support what you are saying. By saying I don't want it won't change a thing. 

So starting from now on - no new ship will be build

Thanks I just doubled my production.  ;)

I have to say that I generally like the idea of weighting up pros and cons for shipbuilding and having a better accessibility to golden/player made ships

BUT (and this is a very big but!):

Special - events, rewards, tournament vessels, or maybe extremely rare and hard to craft (months of effort required)

Like others stated before imo anyone should have the chance to craft any ships in the game. Why? For one casual players will not be able to compete and

It sounds like another step in the grinding gamestyle

^this. If you make playing the game a grinding war instead of a war fought by ships count me out!

"Once this system is coded in all old ships and upgrades will become unusable due to database changes and will have to be removed from the game. "

Surely you could convert our ships...via redeemables rather than trash them !! I am actually good with a wipe when it comes but killing all the ships !!

^this. There has to be some kind of compensation!

One last thing. I get why you want to get rid of green,blue and purple ships but I dont get why you would want to do the same thing to upgrades. IMO it makes perfect sense to have increments in upgrades and it is not like they are not being used.

So all in all, not happy about this.

Edited by Sir Isaac Redwood

They won't be better, you will have regular ship crafting options similar by stats. You will only say ship is rare is because of it's look. Devs said it long time ago, you won't have Premium super powerful ships, you will only have new ship looks with similar stats. 

So, you will need to do an event if you want that particular ship (look). It will probably sail the same as others and might be weaker in armor.  

Thats the reason why paints got implemented right? What will happen to those painted ships? Are we going to get the paint back?

Thats the reason why paints got implemented right? What will happen to those painted ships? Are we going to get the paint back?

I don't think so. I thought you realized you are a tester before you paid for this game. Suck it up and help us make this game better.  :D You will have your permanent paint after release. 

• Like 6

Since we are going to lose our current ships on this change, I'm going to stop crafting ships and focus on repair kits and med kits. I'm already maxed on craft. Why waste my time crafting ships that will disappear?

How about balancing the idiotic fine wood requirements and availability?

there will be a lot more granularity in new system.

right now its yellow 3-5 or nothing

Because there's no premium for that yellow 3-5 compared to a purple 2-4. Its just one more crafting note, which are merely labor hours, which are free. You never addressed this. Now you are abandoning a proven element of MMO design because you never made getting an exceptional ship hard enough people would settle for a mastercraft.

• Like 1

Since we are going to lose our current ships on this change, I'm going to stop crafting ships and focus on repair kits and med kits. I'm already maxed on craft. Why waste my time crafting ships that will disappear?

How about balancing the idiotic fine wood requirements and availability?

Rare wood will be hard to find. It is a part of a great design. 

• Like 3

People will only buy Gold(the best), it's been tested. Why I should buy green or blue when I can save and get gold?

Gold will always be a better choice because of mods. I can have 7 mods vs yours 3. So, why would anyone pay for blue or green?

Because up until now the difference between a green/blue ships or a gold one has only been 2-3 crafting notes, there has been no point in stopping there because you've already put in 2/3 of the effort towards gold. If crafting a first rate takes 8000 hours in total, why would I care at all about another 500-750 hours for exceptional quality?

If the resource requirements are exponential, green or blue might be 1/6 (or even less) the price of a gold ship.

Same goes for the fine logs - I'd be a madman to stop at 80 logs for a mastercrafted ship if it only takes 10-20 more to get an exceptional one. Now if it took 80 logs to get a mastercrafted ship, and 80 more logs to get an exceptional one, would you still do it?

If we truly get to test 1 dura ships, mods suddenly wont matter nearly as much. Hell, for the current 1st rates I dont care about upgrade slots as it is, if it wasn't for the dramatic loss from the reduced build strength bonus from making them non-exceptional I'd be happy with just 1 perm upgrade slot for extra planking and nothing else at all.

Edited by Guest

From the perspective of a crafter who built primarily for himself and gratis for clanmates, and a primarily PVP sailor, I like the proposed changes. Now instead of having X yellow ships whose only differences are the upgrades installed on them, I have much more room for customization that isn't dependent on RNG. Both good for me and good for the recipients of my crafted ships, since now I'm not eating loss after loss when the requested exceptional 3/5 LO + speed build comes out once or more as 2/4 stiffness and the recipients don't have to wait weeks or more for me to slowly and painfully do my econ.

So starting from now on - no new ship will be build

As long as people keep losing ships, ships will need to be built :)

• Like 7

Once this system is coded in all old ships and some upgrades will become unusable due to database changes and will have to be removed from the game. 

ETA Dec-Jan

Discuss

So, you do realize that if you do this, you will have every Captain on the beach without a ship to sail? Or, are you going to put everyone in cutters? Of course, those of us with materials and crafting level will own the game because for the first few days, we will be crafting and selling ships for ungodly amounts of gold.

in my ideal NA  all ships would be built to the same standard ..with the only difference been what wood they were built from and where they were built ....ie the current wood speed / strength / Armour characteristics  apply .. and also the regional build bonuses which are a good idea ..

what should change is each captains experience in sailing and what he chooses ..so the upgrades should be based on game experience rewards ...so the current xp in crafting and rank stay the same ...but depending on what you do in the game reflects the upgrades  to your ship .

my idea would be that each action either fighting or trading earns a reward lets call them for example pieces of 8 .... a pvp battle  earns a player x amount of pieces of 8 that can then be used to purchase fighting upgrades such as powder monkeys / marines ...and different qualities of these upgrades would be reflected in number of pieces of 8  needed to buy

different upgrades would need different  actions to allow the qualities to be bought ...ie sailing qualities / rigging upgrades ..might be earned by sailing  distance in game

trading upgrades such as huill space earned by the amount of trading

these upgrades then belong to the player not the ship ... the idea being two players can sail identical ships and each ship will react different due to their captains experience upgrades ...

people that mostly trade will not be able to jump into a gold 3/5 victory they have purchased with all the gold mods they have also purchased through trading as they do now ..and have equal fighting mods as the player who has done a lot of pvp 

and on the other hand the guy who only pvps and teleports around the map ..will find his ship does not have the sailing qualities or trading mods such as hold space or turning ability as the guy who sails everywhere trading

pve will earn less than pvp in pieces of 8

Edited by Grundgemunkey
  • Like 1

there will be a lot more granularity in new system.

right now its yellow 3-5 or nothing

Yep, I cannot agree more. Currently, at least for the very competitive guilds, it's gold 3/5s or you're in an inferior ship. 2/4, 3/4, or 2/5 are just unacceptable in their eyes. And don't get me started if it's not gold. This will add soooooo much more to choosing what you give a ship and what it loses.

• Like 2

PLEASE GOD NO!

Am unsure of crafting changes regarding class of ships personally I've spent alot of hours playing and crafting and until recently it was gold ships or nothing because it was easy to do so now with the introduction of fine woods it is not so easy (unless you have a alt or two which I don't) end result have been thinking of building blue ships from Mahog and saving live oak etc for pb ships.

However I do not agree with exclusive ships or blueprints for ships from special events I feel it is unfair to punish players for not being able to take part in a special event which the player has no control over I.e. timezones, real life this is a game and not my job(my time is precious/valuable to me the last events you ran was every sat afternoon the time I spend with my kids so couldn't attend a single one) Brilliant idea!

Let's use the L'ocean as a example so I don't know anyone who can build me one I doubt the enemy will build me one so I can try and capture a player one or go without however if France want a victory no problem just craft one. If only 1 or 2 players have a bp and they stop playing effectively that ship is no longer in the game. P.S I really like the game and most of the work devs have done however I do feel a real gap is developing making it much harder for a casual gamer to enjoy your game..

Im willing to test this it could be good imo. In the past the devs implemented more stuff which created a discussion like this and in the end in turned out great.

What I think is more important know is a little more detail about this wipe so we can prevent players from wasting their time:

ETA - days weeks months would be a start
Removed ships - what do we get in return? LBHs, materials , resource, nothing?
If we get nothing, people will only build materials and labor contract and when this rolls out they will build 20 ships in 1 day. Or will you also wipe all materials labor contracts?
If we get materials, resources or lbhrs in return, people will still build ships and the game can continue

Im happy to test this, but please let us know what to expect

Edited by Paulus de Boskabouter

People will only buy Gold(the best), it's been tested. Why I should buy green or blue when I can save and get gold?

Gold will always be a better choice because of mods. I can have 7 mods vs yours 3. So, why would anyone pay for blue or green?

Then maybe what should go away is number of mods depending on ship quality. I will be perfectly OK with color system where quality only affects base stats but the number of upgrades is always 5-3(or 2-4 or even 1-1)  for all ships of the same tier (1st rate can have more mods than 3rd rate)..

The idea of tying number of upgrades to ship quality is the only bad (and unrealistic) thing in current crafting system. Whether I can place a toolbox in my ship depends on the quality of the ship not on the free space in the hull...

Edited by Vaan De Vries

If they put ammunition limits into this game, I'm out. 

Not a crafter, so the rest doesn't really concern me. Ships are ships, doesn't matter what type it is as long as it bloody sails.

Edited by Henry d'Esterre Darby
Removed response to moderated content.

Hello Сaptains!

We will abandon the 5 color grades for upgrades and ships. Fine (blue), Mastercraft (purple), Common (green) are not used and thus are useless. Nobody makes them and nobody buys them.

As a result of testing the final ship quality and shipbuilding system will look like this.

• Captured - captured (grey) will be assigned to all ships captured (except for ships captured from player fleets)
  • Сrafted (yellow) - ships built by players
  • Special - events, rewards, tournament vessels, or maybe extremely rare and hard to craft (months of effort required)
Instead of quality (who would try to make a bad ship) players will select things they want they their ship to have sacrificing other elements if they want to improve one of the characteristics

Definitely will be done

• For example if a shipbuilder wants to increase speed it will increase ship cost AND will have to sacrifice the hull quality
  • If they want to have additional slots for upgrades they will have to sacrifice space or increase weight
  • If you take more crew you might need to reduce hold
  • Cannons and ammo and powder supply will affect cargo hold and will reduce ship performance if you overgun it
Under consideration
  • If you want to take 200 shots per gun instead of normal supply to battle you might need to sacrifice some space (this will solve cases of light ships unloading 10000 rounds in a battle into a first rate)
  • You can determine the number of repair kits you can take for the vessel and affect the weight.
  • Unstable designs - add to much sails (to increase speed) your ship might capsize in some cases
  • Other experimental ideas like 1 durability ships and other changes
Same treatment will be applied to upgrades.

Once this system is coded in all old ships and some upgrades will become unusable due to database changes and will have to be removed from the game.

ETA Dec-Jan

Discuss

I like it. More ship customization and less "got to have that 1 wood type!", and in truth, everything should be a trade off.

Way to many gold first rates, they should be extremely rare. Think of top tear 40 man raid rare... To that point, they should also be hard to take out.

• Special - events, rewards, tournament vessels, or maybe extremely rare and hard to craft (months of effort required)
This is awesome, please follow though with the MAYBE!... crafters would have something to work to.

As it is, once you hit level 50 crafter you can craft anything (with the exception of a few ships and BPs, most of you can't get anymore anyways).

I find it kinda stupid that 1 player can craft a the best ship of the line in only a hand full of days (or 1 if you have the contracts). And hours... Really it takes 20 guys 43 days to build a L'Ocean from start to finish (based on 8 hour days and 6,845 hours start to finish)...

Come on, the Victory was laid down in 1759 and launched 6 years later in 1765. So in game it would be like 1 guy spending just under 3 hours a day working on it. So if you are going to leave hours, make it harder to get the mats/bp/or what ever else to make the ship!

Also please consider bringing back and expanding on shipyards (foundry, wood-shop, textile mill). You could expand on this so much, wood types impact not just the ship but the parts on the ship. Each ship would be unique(like real life). More traders on the OW, and so more PVP.

Building ships should be a clan effort, not one players alt!

#LifeAfterWipe

Edited by Daguse
  • Like 1

I'm interested in testing out these changes, the one that really worries me though is ammunition, I understand in real life these ships had limited availability of shot and powder and that occasionally that led to one ship winning over another. But in this game i think limited ammunition would just over complicate things and depending on how it was implemented open it up for abuse. I.E. in a system where ammo is replenished after battle, a lone frigate tagging and letting go a SoL over and over again to eventually get the kill, an extreme example but still possible. and if we had to go back to port, that'd be one more trip i just wouldn't want to take. especially since  single battle atm would consume an entire shot supply 

Edited by 3rdguards
  • Like 2