Game-Labs Forum

Artificial Artificial Intelligence - Player Enhanced PVE

I suggest adding an option for players to join PVE missions or battles and control an 'AI' ship in a battle.

When in Port players would have an additional Missions or Duel type lobby where they could join a PVE mission taking the role of one of the AI. Players doing this would have the following restrictions on them:

• They would be unable to use chat in battle
  • The AI they control would not be renamed to show who was controlling it
  • They would not be offered a place in battles either for or against the nation they belong to or one they are allied with
  • They would join the battles 'blind' not know who/where they would be fighting
  • They would not lose any officer lives or crew in these battles
  • They would not keep any ships they capture in battle
  • They would not gain XP

Players would be able to fight either as AI in hostility missions or AI in fleets attacked in the open world. They would never be able to control a players AI fleet. They also would be restricted to using the AI ship generated for the mission or open world fleet with no modifications or updates. They are simply filling the role of the AI.

Players opposing the player controller AI might receive slightly more XP for sinking a player controlled 'AI'.

I would not suggest enabling this on a PVE only server.

If it's not practical to have a player join an AI while the battle is in progress I would suggest having players be able to queue for the next available AI slot.

PVE invasion tickets/permits was considered but its a good feature in a short term but bad feature in a long term.

If it is implemented initially first users will have a lot of fun (and players fighting the bots will also have more challenge due to skilled player controlled bots) but eventually everyone will sit in port and invade, no-one will be left in the open sea and this feature will just kill itself. 

• Like 5

PVE invasion tickets/permits was considered but its a good feature in a short term but bad feature in a long term.

If it is implemented initially first users will have a lot of fun (and players fighting the bots will also have more challenge due to skilled player controlled bots) but eventually everyone will sit in port and invade, no-one will be left in the open sea and this feature will just kill itself. 

This ^^^

Well done! Suggestion responded to and laid to rest. I know this kind of interaction probably takes your attention away from other important duties but it is much appreciated.

That makes sense. I knew there was a downside to this idea but I couldn't quite noodle through what it was.

How about my next whacky variant on this idea...

Create a super simple version of Naval Action on mobile which is combat arena only *but* the mobile players are controlling the AI ships in the full PC game. Make the app free but monetize mobile with ads and use it to advertise the full game.