Game-Labs Forum
admin

Response to a review

If I may, this is not a good way to handle things like this.

You're actively advertising for a negative review, while you could have just replied to the review in steam and let it be. This made it even worse. I would add steam is not a dictatorship, you can't force people to give positive review. There are a lot of  people with different minds and goals, some feel frustrated and just give bad reviews for whatever reason. Not a big deal seriously, if you make a good game then overall your ratings are going to be good enough for sales. Who cares about a single review ? Of course people care if this single review attract a lot of attention, particularly if devs pick it up....

You should really hire a native english speaker with experience in community management, that kind of mistake is going to cost you far more than a bad review.  You're a developer. It's not your job to handle the talking with users. Don't trashtalk, don't point specific user on public forums. Always stay calm and polite, even when users are not. People expect a studio to act like professionnals, not amateurs. If you have trouble with this, hire someone who can. 

Do you know how to deal with trade unions ? It's a bit the same thing than with customers. They might be insulting you each time you meet them, but you can't insult them back. This would be completely against your position as managers and you'd get fired. It's the same here. You're not a common guy paying for a game and voicing his opinion, whatever good or bad it is. You're developers of a game studio. You can't reply back like this. It is not fitting of your position. If a customer say "f** you", you can't say "f*** you". You say : "I am sorry we have not given you satisfaction, I will now ask you to leave our shop sir".

Welcome to the corporate world, Game Labs lads. This is not fair, but it is how it works.

Edited by Azzak

Instead of premium ships we should call them ships for the employee of the month. That shows that these people who got them put an huge amount of effort into the game to make it better. Therefore they get a special thanks. Furthermore it shows that everyone can get them if he shows a special amount of effort to make the game better.

the name premium ship is just misleading like grey ships have to suck.

So, I guess, rather than setting the record straight in a place where people that read the steam review might come and look you're going to bury your head in the sand and hope it goes away. That's not how online press works.

Rather than saying black on white 'micro-transactions are (not) going to happen' you're going to leave it to the reader of the review to decide whether or not it might happen based on your answers here, which have been ambiguous at best. 

The only thing you said in the OP was that ships for moderators won't happen. That leaves people wondering: 'So mods won't get special ships, but micro-transactions might still happen'

Why exactly were you so angry at the mention of micro-transactions then?

Anyway, good luck handling press in the future. I'd advise you to consider talking to an expert or even someone who has experience with this, as right now you're making one negative review into a very big mess.

Personal opinion from someone who's played a lot of betas over the years. Often times (and I personally believe it holds true for NA as well), early development is not a good place to say "we will never introduce premium ships/skins/insert microtransaction item here." The reason for this is that microtransactions are a business model just as much as an avenue to game content. At this point, Naval Action's business model is purely "buy once - play forever." No subscriptions, none of that recurring income that F2P/P2P games use to fund their own continued development.

The devs' attitude here reminds me a lot of the devs of Eugen Systems, who long ago said there would never be paid DLC, which in this comparison are one and the same for possible premium ships in Naval Action. However, two years after release of Wargame Red Dragon (third game in the Wargame franchise), the devs asked on the forums if players would be interested in paying for DLC. All DLC, new factions, units, etc. had been free in both Red Dragon's predecessor, and Red Dragon at that point. For the most part, the community was happy to pay for new content at that point to help fund continued development and updates to the game. That may happen with Naval Action as well, but it's far to early to tell seeing as the game isn't even released yet.

Ok, so moderators and volunteers will get special unique ships. So what? If someone spends his time doing something why shouldn't he be rewarded? It's not like they will get an invincible dreadnought with "I WIN" button built into it instead of guns.

Also, if they decide to put in game shop with different ships for real life currency, so what? Most of the online multiplayer games have that today and it didn't break the games.

I, as someone who works almost 10-12 hours every day would like to be able to buy a good looking ship without having to waste hours of my limited game time on sailing and grinding resources. Why would I be limited to grey ships or low quality common ships just because I have real life and have to work long hours? As long as all the ships are balanced what do you care if I bought it or crafted it?

Also, I wouldn't mind buying some good looking cool ship for real money if it keeps developers fed and more game content coming into the game. As long as things bought in the game shop are not giving unfair advantage to their owners, I couldn't care less for that.

Edited by Todbringer

Personal opinion from someone who's played a lot of betas over the years. Often times (and I personally believe it holds true for NA as well), early development is not a good place to say "we will never introduce premium ships/skins/insert microtransaction item here." The reason for this is that microtransactions are a business model just as much as an avenue to game content. At this point, Naval Action's business model is purely "buy once - play forever." No subscriptions, none of that recurring income that F2P/P2P games use to fund their own continued development.

The devs' attitude here reminds me a lot of the devs of Eugen Systems, who long ago said there would never be paid DLC, which in this comparison are one and the same for possible premium ships in Naval Action. However, two years after release of Wargame Red Dragon (third game in the Wargame franchise), the devs asked on the forums if players would be interested in paying for DLC. All DLC, new factions, units, etc. had been free in both Red Dragon's predecessor, and Red Dragon at that point. For the most part, the community was happy to pay for new content at that point to help fund continued development and updates to the game. That may happen with Naval Action as well, but it's far to early to tell seeing as the game isn't even released yet.

And that's my point. I wouldn't even mind micro-transactions if they help improve the game.

The problem is they made a post where they said they were going to implement them.

Someone makes a review calling them out on that and then they call that person a liar without ever having posted anything else about this, so that person used the information that was available to him and made a review about that.

The devs are way out of line here and they're actively destroying any chance this game has to attract new customers.

Ok, so moderators and volunteers will get special unique ships. So what? If someone spends his time doing something why shouldn't he be rewarded? It's not like they will get an invincible dreadnought with "I WIN" button built into it instead of guns.

Also, if they decide to put in game shop with different ships for real life currency, so what? Most of the online multiplayer games have that today and it didn't break the games.

I, as someone who works almost 10-12 hours every day would like to be able to buy a good looking ship without having to waste hours of my limited game time on sailing and grinding resources. Why would I be limited to grey ships or low quality common ships just because I have real life and have to work long hours? As long as all the ships are balanced what do you care if I bought it or crafted it?

Also, I wouldn't mind buying some good looking cool ship for real money if it keeps developers fed and more content coming into the game. As long as things bought in the game shop are not giving unfair advantage to their owners, I couldn't care less for that.

I never said I was opposed to the idea. I am opposed to the devs calling someone a liar for saying they would add it, whilst they actually did say they would add it.

And that's my point. I wouldn't even mind micro-transactions if they help improve the game.

The problem is they made a post where they said they were going to implement them.

Someone makes a review calling them out on that and then they call that person a liar without ever having posted anything else about this, so that person used the information that was available to him and made a review about that.

The devs are way out of line here and they're actively destroying any chance this game has to attract new customers.

I never said I was opposed to the idea. I am opposed to the devs calling someone a liar for saying they would add it, whilst they actually did say they would add it.

my post wasn't directed at you, but at people that talk as if it's a mortal sin for the developers to give someone unique or special ship or for them to sell premium special ships for real life currency. 

As for calling that reviewer a liar, I'd have more sympathy if that creep hadn't been blocking anyone who has a different opinion than him. He is basically maliciously trying to harm this game with his review which is filled with some true things, mixed with half-truth and out of context info and dangerously sprinkled with blatant lies in hope that people will give some credit to that review and those lies.

I bought this game and paid for it and i want to see it published and I want to play it and I want to see other players also playing it with me. So, if some unsatisfied inbred retard (pardon my French) decides he will vent his frustration and anger penned up in him ever since his mother spurned his sexual advances by ruining my investment (and yes, buying a video game is an investment where I invest certain amount of money expecting entertainment in return), then I fail epicly at sympathy and his free speach human rights nonsense department.

Edited by Todbringer

Moderators won't get special ships that a normal player could not get. If a ship exist in game any player can get by making, or buying or capturing from another player. You can screen this :)

Somewhere in the end of 2015 eventually on the position that some players (including moderators) will be given new ships earlier for testing (to avoid angry posts and bug reports that a ships is broken or does not sail properly). It worked perfectly.

Players should not use random forum comments from 2014- 2015 to judge what game is now. For example damage model itself passed 5 iterations already, and exploration for birds and spiders was abandoned.

The reviewer himself (his name is Captain Seven) is dishonest with review readers even in terms of exclusive ships only available to a select few. He complained several times on forums that he hates the fact that he cannot get the unique ship and it makes the game bad for him.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/1814-will-we-need-to-pay-actual-money-for-ships-in-game/page-3#entry285462

But based on his ship transactions he actually acquired the pre-order yacht from Captain Atreides this summer for in game currency.  

Yet he claims in public that exclusive ships cannot be received by a normal player using in game tools for example by boarding. 

The reviewer himself (Captain Seven) is dishonest with review readers even in terms of a special pre-order yacht. He complained several times on forums that he hates the fact that he cannot get the unique ship and it makes the game bad for him.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/1814-will-we-need-to-pay-actual-money-for-ships-in-game/page-3#entry285462

But based on his ship transactions he actually acquired the pre-order yacht from Captain Atreides this summer for in game currency.  

Yet he claims in public that exclusive ships cannot be received by a normal player.

Do you think we need to add Wall of Shame? :D

The post being used as "evidence" was taken out of context at a much earlier stage in development, and the reviewer was using that post to insinuate that these would be mystical pay2win premium ships. And then the reviewer turns his comment section into an echo-chamber hating on the devs instead of informing players about the game, removing any comments that offer a counterpoint. That's out of line, and I have no issues with admin or other staff calling them on their bullshit. The customer is not always right, and when they deliberately misrepresent things like this it hurts the rest of us by driving away players who might have tried and liked the game.

The reviewer himself (his name is Captain Seven) is dishonest with review readers even in terms of exclusive ships only available to a select few. He complained several times on forums that he hates the fact that he cannot get the unique ship and it makes the game bad for him.

Yet he claims in public that exclusive ships cannot be received by a normal player using in game tools for example by boarding. 

If anybody wants a yacht for free on PVP1 contact me. I can give one every other day.

If poor user reviews = less revenue = less artist time = less ships I think a good thing to do would be to add a micro transaction store.  I'd happily pay money to paint my ship or color my sails or make a custom flag to fly above my nation flag.  I also agree that it's probably a good idea to get someone who is a native English speaker to help with community relations.  I'd also love to see bi-weekly or monthly live streams just so people can get to know the Game Labs team and put faces to the people making this awesome game.

tbh ill always support the admin and his game (even tho there as it currently stands isent much to do on long afk sails id suggest making npcs attack ya again) but even if they did one day add a preme shop for just rare and amazing looking paints you can bet yer arse id buy em (so long as id have the ship) sure iv also been someone who would secretly like all ships to be droped via crafting so i can eventualy get me hands on em to test em but hey here we are now past the sea trial age where i began thinking "holy shit how am i gunna kill this snow in my brig) i also remember you guys calling the snow at that time a mini first rate pretty much because it was at the time

iv seen the good and the bad but ill stay here till the end that will not change new ships or not so long as we get to keep the awesome admin and his crew even if we dont get anymore ships hell thats fine by me 

if they where to ask me could i make it better id say hell no i dont know what im doin even if i did my first ship would prob look like a potato with sails and cannons LOL

keep up the amazing work guys you and your amazing artists dev team and everyone else

~wolfy

looks around multipal times-..............maybe

I think that kind of anoying reviews should be accepted, ignored and this kind of threads avoided. It is not helping you devs at all.

If you consider a review is offtopic, unfair and/or break any kind of rule you can report them IN STEAM and that should be all. I had had to do it myself several times.

You have to deal with the negative as well as the positive.

The way I read it is players testing get ships that us outer players do not.

So as to test them for the main game.

What is wrong with that.

Once the game is in full swing all will get the ships that are in the game.

If I have this wrong, then I will be taken out and shot. B)

Good day Gentlemen.

I totally get the fact that the devs get frustrated over something that isn't true in a review. I would be, if something I worked on was dismissed on unfair grounds I would be pissed off as well!

One of the things I found refreshing about this game, was that the developer would post in threads himself, rather than using a PR/media hireling to do it for him.

This gives a level of honesty and openess that was a change from all the silky tongued PR bullshiz that most seem to spout, with paragraph after paragraph of words but all of them devoid of any solid meaning.

Honest jack-tar, rather than effete dilletante.

I appreciate the candour.

PS: If one thing this thread has achieved, it is to remind me that I have not bothered to write a review for the game and that if Steam ratings are the be all and end all of early access projects, that considering how many hours of gametime I had for my money, I should really get on with it and post one.

Well said Spam.  Review away, I even refreshed mine that I posted after just 5 hours of in game fun.

You can only review a game on its current state, Its state is still in testing, so many reviews seem to miss that the game is still being developed.

The only issue I had with the review posted was that other posts could be deleted by the OP, but thats Steam's issue not ours and Game Labs off topic flag appears to have prevented further tampering. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I'm still in game from time to time, but basically like many others I am waiting the launch proper. See you all then o7

Edited by Crankey

I really dont want to be the killjoy here

On 31.10.2016 at 3:50 PM, admin said:

To the community: we will not take action on that review and will let community decide on what to do with it. You can be our guides as you always did before

the reviewer recently posted:

After the developers of this game flagged my review as "off topic" and "abusive" they were reported to steam.[...]

which contradicts the devs statement. But he continues with:

[...]Steam took a look at the evidence I provided them and read my review, they decided the review was NOT "off topic" or "abusive" and removed the flag and censorship put in place by the developers, thank-you to steam, and those of you with kind comments.

Funny how he is talking about "censorship" and deleting constructive criticism posts below his review on the other hand - which is still a ******* joke by steam <_<

is he talking BS to screw you guys or is this actually a thing? - i honestly have no clue how reviews work if you are on the other side of the pond.

That guy is just trolling.

Don't worry, I have played every sailing game there is and yours, even in its current state, is hands down the best ever. And you continue to go in the right direction with regard to changes as promised.

The primary difficulty with certain reviewers is you are building a sandbox game (as promised) and they understand not what that means. This will frustrate certain player types, but only the myopic who cannot see the depth this style of game brings.

Well said sir, i to understand the mech of the game and one day when game is out those who are really interested in sailing will too.

Having got to the dizzy hight's of Master and Commander,( Under the name foxscroft) in game I understand now what the Devs are trying to do, I congratulate them on what will be a fantastic sailing/battling game.

Good day Gentlemen.

Edited by frankling

On 11/22/2016 at 0:18 PM, Horror said:

That guy is just trolling.

Don't worry, I have played every sailing game there is and yours, even in its current state, is hands down the best ever. And you continue to go in the right direction with regard to changes as promised.

The primary difficulty with certain reviewers is you are building a sandbox game (as promised) and they understand not what that means. This will frustrate certain player types, but only the myopic who cannot see the depth this style of game brings.

It's interesting to note that this thread on the Steam forums has been locked.

The responses were not nearly as positive as they have been here.

The Steam forums can't be policed and censored as they are here, the contrast makes your intent pretty apparent. Almost as much as your recent silence in the threads that were to be "heavily moderated"

What have you to say to this?

1 hour ago, TheGreatWar said:

It's interesting to note that this thread on the Steam forums has been locked.

The responses were not nearly as positive as they have been here.

The Steam forums can't be policed and censored as they are here, the contrast makes your intent pretty apparent. Almost as much as your recent silence in the threads that were to be "heavily moderated"

What have you to say to this?

And you registered only to post this message?

I guess you have time to waist. :D:D