Game-Labs Forum
admin

Response to a review

admin    28,100

"Another situation came about because the developers decided to add a feature called the "pray button" in their monthly "content" patch, players logged into the game, with no information in the patch notes as to what the pray button did, leading people to speculate on the forums, because people were speculating wrongly, the developers called these players trolls and called for them to be banned"

so his statement is correct.

Please read my explanation in the first post. And it will answer your question.

Or better answer me this. If someone tells your kid that he can jump from the window and become an angel would you keep this someone in your house? 

Black Spawn    441

Please read my explanation in the first post. And it will answer your question.

Or better answer me this. If someone tells your kid that he can jump from the window and become an angel would you keep this someone in your house? 

I didnt want to offend nor am i saying he is right in all points.

but you have to consider that american players are rather pessimistic and you shoulnd't take every sentence to literal. to be honest  most of his points i can relate to with my 2000+ hrs ingame even if they are somewhat exaggerated.

At this point i still cant figure out why you added the "pray button"  in the first place - which if NOT - would render all arguments unnecessary. but thats not the place to argue.

I can understand that this issue and the popular negative review bothers you, but i from an objective standpoint i would say this issue will resolve itself with coming content and passing time. you are giving him a stage each time you try to do good.

Edited by Black Spawn

maturin    5,454

At this point i still cant figure out why you added the "pray button"  in the first place - which if NOT - would render all arguments unnecessary. but thats not the place to argue.

The devs catastrophically miscalculated by supposing that the playerbase had a sense of humor.

admin    28,100

I didnt want to offend nor am i saying he is right in all points.

but you have to consider that american players are rather pessimistic and you shoulnd't take every sentence to literal. to be honest  most of his points i can relate to with my 2000+ hrs ingame even if they are somewhat exaggerated.

The review does not bother us. Lies bother us.

There are more points in his review than we replied to. We only replied to lies or misrepresentations. Our response is not to him but to those who read his review and might want to see another view. The only reason we responded is that he did not let community respond to him. He deletes all the comments that contradict him.

Overall

We might make strong statements here and there but we are honest and straightforward.

But he positions us as scumbags like some lying AAA developers and we are not like that at all. And it seems people like you agree with him.

The devs catastrophically miscalculated by supposing that the playerbase had a sense of humor.

we miscalculated that players value direct non stop contact with devs too :)

Louis Garneray    580

That's what I thought from the beginning... They were trolling us with that Pray button :D :D :D and I still think it's funny.

I assumed the prayer was a psychological test to see how many times individuals would click a button just because it's there.

OlavDeng2    1,500

Honestly, my personall opinion on this, i dont mind negative reviews and such. What i do mind however is when the review gets called out or gets corrected the reviewer deletes the comments... At that point you know its not about being a constructive review any more but rather it is pushing some agenda, personal or other wise. All i have to say is keep up the good work devs!

The Red Duke    6,298

There are some software houses that will get my attention whenever they announce a new project. Many are very old in the business, others are fairly recent. Interesting enough both products from GL give me enough confidence to look forward to more of their work.

Honesty, consistency and above all a solid product and communication with fan base are important to any artistic venture, like music, theatre and cinema, and Games.

A critique ( feedback ) by a customer / fan requires the same honesty. Only then will communication starts to function properly.

Chimera    533

This Discussion is a waste of valuable development time. You guys shouldn't even get coughs up with dumb reviews like this. Concentrate on the game and your work will speak volumes over some narrow minded BS on steam.

Devs, I only ask that you take a look at "Amy's Baking Company". They responded to (bad) online reviews and got even more hate for their responses.

I can understand where you're coming from, but this is not the way to handle it.

admin    28,100

Devs, I only ask that you take a look at "Amy's Baking Company". They responded to (bad) online reviews and got even more hate for their responses.

I can understand where you're coming from, but this is not the way to handle it.

Tabby i would better look at your channel  :).

We are not responding to bad reviews at all. We only responded to ONE false review because community could not.

Previously community took action in this by flagging false reviews (and they were actually removed by valve)

Like this time http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/8708-could-we-downvote-this-review/

The problem is that community wanted to respond (while being nice) but this guy censors the steam and gl community voice deleting all comments. Keeping misleading people.

This Discussion is a waste of valuable development time. You guys shouldn't even get coughs up with dumb reviews like this. Concentrate on the game and your work will speak volumes over some narrow minded BS on steam.

We would prefer our community to respond to our statements in the first post or on the the review because guests come here to read if that review is true or not

To your comments

If some jerk calls your mother a whore or sister a twat he will be banned from chat. If someone threatens you and bring your real life to game he will be eventually banned from game and reported to valve and police.

We have 2 people spending hours on this every friday clearing all reports and banning the bastards. Yet we are called racist for this policies in the reviews like this http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198015271039/recommended/311310/(62% found it helpful).

We concentrate on making the game AND making your life in game somewhat nicer and absolutely safe.

Maybe you can (as an active community member) help weed out false reviews and upvote helpful ones (which also could be negative), so we can concentrate on the game.

Public false statements have legs and mislead if you don't stop lies they spread. The review does not talk about the game much he actually says its somewhat good and beautiful.. He just bashes the devs and searches the forums for minuscule pieces of information with one goal - to show that we are bad people, He does not care about the game in the review,

But no-one likes bad people, and no-one likes to buy things from bad people.  This review itself have already robbed the community of at least 1 new first rate or 2 third rates, just based on the number of upvotes. 

Fastidius    305

I think his review is a bit over the top however i don't think you are completely honest about this...

1. You can be very dismissive in forums at times.

2. You don't really deliver in priority order which means that bugs cause delays in higher priority stuff

3. you have had 6 months of patches that have moved away from combat and have lost a lot of testers/players due to this.   some will come back some won't

I am certainly happy with the value i got out of the game but the first 300 hours were far better than the last 700+ due to the fact the player base reduced and the development changes didn't really address the issues before adding features that compounded them.

I will be back sometime but i have to admit i do feel a bit negative towards development choices over the last few months.

I wont put a negative review or even talk down the actual game as when your in combat or actually interacting it is great but the 30 minutes it takes to get on and go to somewhere to fight is an absolute pain in the ass and the UI is as ugly as it was 7 months ago.  your priorities seem flawed to me since i thought penetration and leaks etc were good enough to run with in February.....not perfect but not worth the time developing further with other issues SCREAMING to be fixed.

Honestly i thin you have a great skeleton and all the stuff just needs to be tied together....i havent played for 2 months nearly so i can;t talk about the recent patches however pirates haven't changed yet and you haven't wiped assets so i already know economy/crafting & gameplay is still broken in my case.

logging in to have look 8)

Edited by Fastidius

koltes    1,982

Well this is my Steam review intended as reply to this review mentioned in the OP.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198095251025/recommended/311310/

As long as devs keep listening to the community and working on improving the game we are moving in the right direction.

Edited by koltes

As I said some time ago, Devs, you should learn to ignore such reviews, don't let them put you out of your nerves and you should learn to read their review with the correct criticism, every review has a certain amount of facts. That review is pointing out a lot of facts and bad practices you make... it would be **** ignore those facts just because you don't like the review or/and it's not positive.

Then, creating this thread where you just "complain" about a specific review is just out of place. You have steam tools to manage those review and it should have ended there.

bdreview.jpg

Honestly, I don't think you are driving all this topics in a proper professional way.

Edited by CeltiberoCaesar

Fastidius    305

Please post a screenshot of a tester or a mod sailing a premium ship, or post any other proof that shows that there will be premium ships for moderators. The reviewer claimed it in the micro transaction topic and said we have premium vessels planned for mods or maybe even have them.. 

Heavy rattlesnake is not a premium ship you can buy it in game for in game money or steal it from another player. Its widely available for a good price.

Same with tournament ships - everyone had a chance to get them AND tournament was a community driven event. Multiple other ships were given, replaced or just presented to everyone as gifts. Bucentaure second rate for example (which a reviewer called no-content ship)

Many ships appear for people over time before it was craftable.  you yourself gave everyone 2nd rates before they were release.  santaC and Hrattler were around before release to general public. 

Things like paint and non craftable mods and rare ships scream microtransactions in the future......it isn't a big leap.  as far as i know the events are not in everyones timeslots...so therefore access is likely to come in other ways like microtrans.

I think you will find that many of us think of ships as things you get when the rest of a patch isnt ready......then also some of us think that half the stuff you have as deployed in the dev thread is only partially deployed but only in broad strokes.with a bit more love could be effective...

I can see their side of things but i also have taken a break because i got frustrated....I think the reviewer got frustrated and posted rather than a break.....mine involved bali and many bintangs.

also when i tried to ask how to get more involved and had more to say on things there was very very limited discussion and mostly being deflected.  that part of things pissed me off the most so i took my break....

Edited by Fastidius

The Spud    593

The devs are very dedicated to their game, and you can clearly see that this is made out of love for the age of sail and not out of love for money, otherwise they would be spending their time developing something more "mainstream". I can understand if you've spend months and months developing a game, are occupied by it 24/7 I understand someone talking this negative nonsence about your game is like someone talking negative about your child, you just have to respond.

This Ant guy sounds like one of these conspiricy people, i'm speaking the truth, but "they" don't want the truth out here, they "pay" people to tell you guys its not the truth, what you read out there "in the media" are all lies payed for by "them". Its just sad.

The pure core mechanics of this game are so good, that regardless of how the game is fine tuned in the future, it will give a good amount of playtime to any player. And I think that if the devs do a "free weekend" at the right time, you'll be pulling in all these people who are doubting this game because of that review.

victor    690

Besides - legitimately - reproaching to the excessive (or ungrounded) public criticism of a single player (or tester if you prefer), if I was in the shoes of Devs I would first check constantly the variation of average player number of the game after last patch (maybe comparing it with the playerbase variation right after the former patch).

I have the impression that we are loosing - day after day - a lot of players (or testers if you prefer), but maybe it's just an impression. That's why I'm asking.

Edited by victor

Black Spawn    441

I too think this will resolve itself and this is not necessarily the way to go.

This game is in Early Access and is definitely not suitable for all players. But opinions change regarding content especially in Early Acess development - which is a good thing. 

But the more attention it gets the worse the matter gets - its like the reviews on amazon. Most of them are written because folks are NOT pleased, the fewest customers come back after they got their delivery. Thats just how people are...

I for myself always try to stay objective on those terms, even if that means i have to write new reviews. Just recently i switched to not recomended just based on the the new patch:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/DerOkon/recommended/311310/

But other than the said review imo those should get the attention and not the dev-bashing ones.

Edited by Black Spawn

Ratline    283

This review itself have already robbed the community of at least 1 new first rate or 2 third rates, just based on the number of upvotes. 

What are you saying here, that because people (not necessarily even members of the game's community) upvoted this you are holding back content? If not that what, exactly, do you mean and do you never fucking learn? Seriously.. given the context of this thread and the review you are just shooting yourself in the face typing things like that. *facepalm*

Edited by Ratline

Custard    139

What are you saying here, that because people (not necessarily even members of the game's community) upvoted this you are holding back content? If not that what, exactly, do you mean and do you never fucking learn? Seriously.. given the context of this thread and the review you are just shooting yourself in the face typing things like that. *facepalm*

I think Admin means a couple of players will not be playing because of the review take a pill mate, too funny

Ratline    283

I think Admin means a couple of players will not be playing because of the review take a pill mate, too funny

What you 'think' is irrelevant and in this case doesn't even make sense. If you can't see that it is exactly that type of comment which has caused a lot of this crap then you need to have a little think about it rather than posting snide, condescending comments.

Edited by Ratline

Pigafetta    68

It is not the bad reviews or the passion (or dis-passion)  someone has for this game that bothers me. 

What really I do not understand is why people are upset about a game-in-progress. Everything is up for discussion, because everything can be removed or added at this stage.

I have been playing a lot of games but here, for once, I feel that our opinion (players' opinion) is considered, and sometimes we see our suggestions in the game itself.

And, above all, I respect a dev who takes time and answer a disgruntled player. Again I think it is because of their passion for the game they are building.

I said it long time ago in this forum. I love the game and I am here for the long journey... just cannot wait to see what this game can become.

Respectfully,

"Pig" Pigafetta