Game-Labs Forum

Admiraal de Ruyter - 1806

SteelSandwich

The Admiraal de Ruyter was a Dutch 80-gun ship-of-the-line, part of the Wreker Class (translation: Avenger).

7 ships would be build according to Pieter Glavimans' design which was approved by the admiralty in 1795. Supervising the build of the first two vessels, the class' leadship "Wreker" left the dockyard in 1798.

Including "Chatham" and "Admiral Zoutman" the first order of the wreker class' vessels was finished in 1800.

Impressed by the ships' overall performance another batch of four new vessels were approved by the admiralty.

In 1806 "Admiraal de Ruyter" left the dockyard.

-Wreker   1798 (Amsterdam)

-Chatham   1799 (Rotterdam)

-Admiraal Zoutman   1800 (Amsterdam)

-Admiraal de Ruyter   1806 (Rotterdam)

-De Leeuw   1806 (Amsterdam)

-Admiraal de Ruyter   1808 (Amsterdam)

-Admiraal Evertsen   1808 (Amsterdam)

The measurement of the class (amsterdamse voet):

195 ft x 51 ft x 22 ft

In meters:

55.2 x 14.4 x 6.2

Hereby the plans of the Ruyter:

2jffHC5.png

t6sEsv1.png

Originally the Class was destined to carry 80-gun (pounds are in dutch):

Lower gun deck: 36-pounders

Upper gun deck: 30-pounders

FC&QD: 12-pounders

Yet on the plan you can clearly see a flush top deck. For reference, underneath is a ship plan included of how the original 80-gun version looked like (Wreker's plan):

IteOKh6.png

zHu4L8F.png

The new 90-gun version had an improved armament. Besides the 12-pounder cannons, a series of 36-pounder carronades would be added along the gangways.

Excluding the added Carronades the ships' broadside weight was a respectable 1156 british pound (converted from dutch pd). Adding 9 Carronades the broadside weight is boosted by 352 (brit) pound resulting in a total of 1509 brit pound

To illustrate the ship a bit more:

Sidegallery +stern for both Admiraal de Ruyter as well as Admiraal Evertsen.

kzonf70.png

GyO9req.png

The stern for the Admiraal de Ruyter, after being renamed to Rotterdam.

CINhDCA.png

The bow for Admiraal de Ruyter herself:

GIaj3fV.png

Over her lifespan she would be renamed several times.

Admiraal de Ruyter whilst build

Admiraal Piet Hein from launch in 1806

Rotterdam from 1806 (late)

Koninklijke Hollander from 1808

(Royal) Hollandais from 1810 (french service)

Koninklijke Hollander from 1814 (return to dutch service

The reason why she changed names whilst being build is quite interesting. When arriving in the Netherlands, Louis Napoleon visited one of the 1808 ships in construction. In honor of the dutch nation's greatest admiral, he christened the ship Admiraal de Ruyter. Unknown to him at the time, there was already a ship being build who carried the same name, hence why she was immediately (and temporarily) renamed Admiraal Piet Hein.

An interesting characteristic of the ship class is that they all utilized a lateen yard instead of a spanker. A incredible model has been made of the Chatham pre-refit.

82j8toM.jpg

Additional models of the Chatham:

sKOiPcr.jpg

Initially it was hard to get a accurate grip on the internals of the ship, regardless of the above shown models. Luckily the Wreker actually has a full set on internals available.

Ywhuh4T.png

0iY0NPw.png

To top it off, there is a remarkable drawing of the Admiraal Zoutman in existence, truly gorgeous. Great for paintscheme reference.

jz9xQYP.jpg

Another ship designed and build by Pieter Glavimans at the same time which was turned into a model is the 1798 Neptunus(74), which is also great for paintscheme reference.

6373b365aa12aad26025e8a440cb13c6.png

• Like 26

And I thought the reply to my question was extensive, this is just impressive. Thank you for doing this, I should really ask more questions on ship threads if it gives results like this :D

They better put some dutch into the game now, its not like they don't have the resources.

• Like 2

And I thought the reply to my question was extensive, this is just impressive. Thank you for doing this, I should really ask more questions on ship threads if it gives results like this :D

They better put some dutch into the game now, its not like they don't have the resources.

If ever, just ask! Same goes for the black see shipwrecks for me, it's all a fun learning process. :)

• Like 2

Hi all

well...... we have it all......

.The many names        Admiraal de Ruyter= Admiraal de Ruiter

.The drawings

.The looks

.The paint

.The guns( dutch pounds)

.The community wants HER

.The 3d module makers are there

we have water and the sky,we have the game 

Do we have to vote on something ???

perhaps the dev s can tell us something on this matter

Edited by Thonys
Removed some white spacing, to help our mobile users.
  • Like 1

a lateen yard doubled as a reserve spar when other yards were shot down.

However such a lateen rig is by no means easier to use than a spanker. The opposite is here the case. the angle of the windforce is worse etcetc. Overall its a worse design speaking from the sailing ability

Images from the 1820s show dutch SoLs using a spanker.

As Olav said. We didnt come up with a satisfying answer but most likely it is coming down to tradition and narrow minded people in the admiralty..

(just think about the masts on early dreadnoughts -.-)

• Like 3

Hi all

well...... we have it all......

.The many names        Admiraal de Ruyter= Admiraal de Ruiter

.The drawings

.The looks

.The paint

.The guns( dutch pounds)

.The community wants HER

.The 3d module makers are there

we have water and the sky,we have the game 

Do we have to vote on something ???

perhaps the dev s can tell us something on this matter

I hear You! Motion seconded ;)

Fantastic post. IF (and I hope so) this will be the Dutch 1st rate, it will be very interesting to see how the announced leeway implementation will affect this ship sailing hull-down. 

I think that it would be a second rate.  It has less guns than all of the first rates in game, and has less broadside weight as well.

Bucentaure:

length of gundeck: 55.5m

breadth: 14.3m

draught (forw): 7m

draught (aft):  7.8m

Admiraal de Ruyter:

length of gundeck: 54.9m

breadth: 14.3m

draught (forw): 5.9m

draught (aft):  6.2m

Imo that comparisn is pretty amazing, even tho the admiral is listed in her 80 gun config.

They only added a few carronades on the weatherdecks. would not make too much of a difference.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Altho I would be more than happy to say: yes - its nothing but a rumor.

I build this vessel with the intention to send it in to the devs. But that didnt happen.

You will be most likely going to be able to vote on this vessel in the next ship poll. Wich is announced soon (TM) (-> end of january +/-)