Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SteelSandwich

Fort feedback OW

SteelSandwich    2,242

This topic is meant for feedback regarding Forts.

Post pictures/explanation if for example:

-You see a fort randomly in the seas.

-You see a large quantity of forts in too short of a piece of coast.

-General feedback regarding their utility in OW and battle.

Discuss

LeBoiteux    1,256

General feedback on the utility of OW forts

Forts has been the best OW combat feature since leaks. 

I like it very much !!

It creates realism and it livens up the OW.

Well done, devs.

About the firing range of the forts (?) 

During a battle instance, the fort of Roseau stopped firing at me after say 15 minutes.

Is it a matter of distance between the ships and the fort ? I didn't get the impression we've moved away much from the coast. But I might be mistaken.

From where we were, I would have imagined the fort still could fire some canon balls.

Or do forts have a limited supply of canon balls ?

If it is a feature implemented as intended, I think it great however as guns from the fort causes some nice damage on ships during the first minutes of fight.

Suggestion

I would really like to see enemy forts and bots attack players in OW in a coordinated way  !!

PS : AI aggressiveness (or the contrary) could be a perk for PvE-ers (or PvP-ers). 

huliotkd    37

i'm sorry i don't have pic to upload, maybe today i'll do.

PVP 2 - Florida coast - San Mateo has 2 forts and 4-5 towers...maybe too much for a non-regional capital port.

and distribution of defences is only 1 tower north to the port and the others, with 2 forts, all to south.

ajffighter86    497

The range of the forts is the only thing I really see that doesn't feel right, but if we extend their range maybe we should reduce their numbers.

Maybe a developer could chime in and tell us what the range of the forts engagement is set at?

Also, can we make them fire mortars?

Or special land-based rounds like hot-shot (just not every cannon firing them, lol, I don't want 10 fires at a time).

Edited by ajffighter86

Otto Kohl    2,035

There are FAR TO MANY of those. Coastline looks like Maginot Line ATM. IMHO only region capitals should have strong defences, other ports should have very small on none.

maturin    5,454

The range of the forts is the only thing I really see that doesn't feel right, but if we extend their range maybe we should reduce their numbers.

Maybe a developer could chime in and tell us what the range of the forts engagement is set at?

I tested it. Martello towers open fire over the hypotenuse of two map grid squares.

LeBoiteux    1,256

There are FAR TO MANY of those. Coastline looks like Maginot Line ATM.

On the single small island of Sainte-Marguerite (France, only 2,4 km2) in the Mediterranean, Napoleon decided to build 3 batteries in 1793, besides the canons of the fort.

He added 2 other batteries on the smaller island nearby, the island of Saint-Honorat...

Source : https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fours_à_boulets_des_îles_de_Lérins

IMHO only region capitals should have strong defences, other ports should have very small on none.

The number of coastal defence in NA is a matter of game design.

And IMHO, it adds fun near coasts. More risk, more fun.

But if the issue is just cosmetics, some towers could be replaced by coastal batteries, lighter structures more hidden from view :

batterie12.jpg

ajffighter86    497

So, each grid square being 500m, I'm coming up with a range of ~1100m for the tower defenses.

If that's true then some of the forts are either bugged or their gunners are sleeping, because I've had to get fairly close to some forts in order for them to open fire. Maybe the issue is the scaling of the fort graphic itself. Either it looks too big for that kind of range or too small or something.

Intrepido    2,182

Lack of forts in La Habana. Probably the weakest spanish ports in defenses right now ingame.

There are lots of historical references to look about its fortifications.

Mrdoomed    1,531

My biggest question /concern is just how much ow combat do you as devs wish to have ? Or are we trying to gear this as a port battle, trade simulator?

I say this because lets be honest, players for the most part (if they ever leave port) never venture far from the shore, ever. The long oversea voyages do not happen very often because freeport transportation and the fact that its just not needed since all resources can be got within just a few ports range thanks to all nations can smuggle.

So almost all players now have thier own ai fleets they control AND millions of friendly sols going up and down the coast and now towers and forts.

Yup two ships could maybe in rare instances bump into each other and just maybe there will be no ai fleets around and he wont acually make it to land/tower/port before you can tag him.

Other than that its getting hard to hunt or to just have a decent fight.

I think the forts need to be adjusted to fit the development teams goals for open world.

The Red Duke    6,298

Yes of course. We don't expect this to be final spread of forts. It remains the essential - the random seed for generation works so who knows, maybe with Lord Protectors the forts might become a player driven mechanic even.

I was surprised by an enemy Endymion commerce raider outside of Habana, sailing in my Indiaman. I managed to run into the bay, being pounded all along the way, and fled under the skirts of the fort there, which drove off the Endy.

= to me, this is a fun mechanic which will certainly encourage me to do more trading, as it diminishes the risk of being ganked.

Wesreidau    419

Bermuda's harbor has a terrible layout for forts to actually defend the bay. Kingston could use one of its square forts moved out to the sandbars.

All in all I think the Martello (Maginot, hah) towers need to be replaced with earthen gun batteries. These will be much less intrusive.

akd    2,622

If an enemy ship gets under the guns of a square fort, the fort will continue to attempt to target this nearby enemy rather than switching to other targets.  Consequently, a fort can be disabled simply by running a ship quickly up to its side.  I don't know if somehow square forts communicate on targets, but it was my impression that nearby Martello towers also stop firing on the same target, but remain focused on it.

Mrdoomed    1,531

Can forts be destroyed? Maybe keep forts on a 2 week cycle that the repair all destroyed forts every two weeks. Add some realisim.

Lord Vicious    1,438

imho too many and annoyngs

what about forts- and towers are an upgrades that clans/nations should pay for?  like for making them you need resources-cannons, gold?

and by default there is none beside original capital?

Edited by Lord Vicious

The Spud    593
1 hour ago, Lord Vicious said:

imho too many and annoyngs

what about forts- and towers are an upgrades that clans/nations should pay for?  like for making them you need resources-cannons, gold?

and by default there is none beside original capital?

I think I read somewhere that the devs said, it would only take some time before all ports would be fully "armed" with towers and fortresses, and the concept would be pointless in the end. I would keep the forts, and remove the towers or just not make them not fire.

Chijohnaok    475

I previously posted on the (lack of) fortifications at Wilmington in this thread:

I only just discovered this thread, so rather then recreate the same post, please refer to my post above regarding the lack of any fortifications at all for the regional capital port of Wilmington.  

Edited by Chijohnaok

Quineloe    1,135

Do towers run out of ammo?

This one here stopped shooting Moscalb.

iQ8qU6Q.jpg

Also very irritating that you can use forts to your advantage as the enemy by positioning yourself so the fort shoots down the masts of your opponent, which happens very fast with 42pd cannons.

Quineloe    1,135

on Moscalb's stream you could just observe a swedish fort sinking a swedish bellona, doing almost all of the damage and therefore denying his group both kill and assist.

Friendly fire needs to be greatly improved from forts.