Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Rookie regions feedback

I've heard on nation chat that a lot of newbies are attacking NPC ships or getting into missions... only to have other nations join in and proceed to sink them in record breaking time.

After one or two occurances they quickly port to mortimer town and proceed to level up that way.... with at least some protection by higher level pirates. Newbie zone is just a gank zone in disguise.

At the moment, and from tavern talk, the Bahamas are being stripped bare of resources by nationals not intending on playing there or promoting the gameplay there. With the very interesting prices in the stores for materials the area is a fat cow with a steady stream of smugglers pillaging what they can.

Hard to counter it but a Rank limit to use the shop could stem this effect.

Regarding the combat, most people have been reporting are Rear Admiral and equivalents and very few low ranks.

After one or two occurances they quickly port to mortimer town and proceed to level up that way.... with at least some protection by higher level pirates. Newbie zone is just a gank zone in disguise.

The new player ganking is nothing new introduced in the patch.

As I see it now the ganking is limited to player experience and  ships/upgrade quality so the intended victim can really have a fight earning him experience (points and real pvp one) ...... Previously the ganking was in hopeless BR outnumbered fights eliminating all fun from the ensuing battle

I think the normal tagging rules are better overall. Having it seems the newbie area is just getting all the new players in one place to get ganked. Just send them to their capitals and let open world PvP be open world.

I think the normal tagging rules are better overall. Having it seems the newbie area is just getting all the new players in one place to get ganked. Just send them to their capitals and let open world PvP be open world.

I knew and said this would happen as soon as it was announced. I haven't logged in for a few days because there isnt much happing outside of the rookie area on our server.

Gonna log on today or so to see if this patch helped.

IS there a map of what exactly is Newbie zone and what is not. I watch my screen and notice there are a lot of dead zones that go back to regular ROE and some areas that are suppose to be NEWBIE ROE like main ports in the regions that are suppose to be those zones aren't rookie zones.  Morgan Bluff was a prime example of this as it wasn't tagged as Newbie Zone and you get fights like this casue of all the AI abuse some nations done.

http://imgur.com/AHek3R7

Now all newbies stand alone. No help of experience players and we don't see them. The nation chat can help, but most new players don't use it. They try it alone or lost fun and leave. So it's difficult to say if it is a good idea, the rookie zone. The idea for the area is good, but we lost other thinks. For me the old way, or a rookie zone near the capitals is the better way.

Now all newbies stand alone. No help of experience players and we don't see them. The nation chat can help, but most new players don't use it. They try it alone or lost fun and leave. So it's difficult to say if it is a good idea, the rookie zone. The idea for the area is good, but we lost other thinks. For me the old way, or a rookie zone near the capitals is the better way.

I wonder why you are not there? 

I try. But it's hard to wait there. I saw no player near our port. So I decided to give up. But you are right... That's a way ????

I try. But it's hard to wait there. I saw no player near our port. So I decided to give up. But you are right... That's a way

rookie zone was an experiment

not enough data to make a decision yet.

I'm playing around it quite a lot, mostly because of shallow waters. I haven't seen many new players around tho.

Also i noticed some gaps in the ROE system; how does it work? Is it only around capitals and not in the whole region?

The concept itself seems good to limit BR difference to avoid ganking, but it still can happen since joining missions doesn't seem to be limited (i once joined a mission with a surprise, can't remember the exact BRs). Anyway this can be good, making missions a risky part has it should be and leaving some room to PVE and PVP that can be fun for newbies.

I almost forgot: having national capitals so close to each other creates a weird smuggling hub as someone else already said.

Edited by Diodo

rookie zone was an experiment

not enough data to make a decision yet.

Is it possible ( just code wise) to create a "rookie " server. ALl new players have the option to join it or regular server. THen the rookie server has only a small small map with 4 color faction to chose from.

Play normaly doing missions ,pvp etc but cant pass xxxx xp and level and only have ships to a cerb .

Once they are comfortable they can leave the server with thier stuff or stay there gaining no gold or xp or anything.

They are protected from us and us from them. There will always be the smart or more experienced players to Tudor the others.

Can this work?

Rookieregion should be limited to certain ranks. after you can sail a 5th rate you shouldnt be allowed to attack anyone or join a enemy mission in that area. that would reduce the high lvl ganking and send new players to nation capitals.

Maybe give them a popup window as soon as they reached the said rank that its recommended to teleport to the capital because they cant attack anyone in that area anymore

I don't know how much time you've spent in the rookie zone recently but there aren't any rookies left in the game. Just a few vet alts leveling up and collecting war supply materials. So I say club away.

Edited by Wraith

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 6:18 AM, stormridersp said:

IMO, these rookie regions are completely flawed. They are just easy snacks for the americans to conquer; and then what?

No the US conquered the shallow regions next to the rookie zone. Rookie ports (capitols) cannot be captured.

3 hours ago, DeRuyter said:

No the US conquered the shallow regions next to the rookie zone. Rookie ports (capitols) cannot be captured.

Thank you for opening my eyes. Now that you enlightened me with your wisdom, I feel like opening an outpost in Marsh Harbour.

2016-11-16.png

Edited by stormridersp

19 hours ago, stormridersp said:

Thank you for opening my eyes. Now that you enlightened me with your wisdom, I feel like opening an outpost in Marsh Harbour.

2016-11-16.png

Why you are very welcome. ;) With an outpost at Marsh Harbour you can hunt US trade ships.

You forget that the US Rookie Capitol, Turtle Cay was in the same situation you now complain about, surrounded by Pirate ports, "snacks for the Pirates". The pirates choose not to defend that area so here we are. That region was captured because of certain resources and the regional bonus, not because of the rookie zone.

Who controls the regions around the Rookie zone is really irrelevant to whether the rookie zone is working as intended.

3 hours ago, DeRuyter said:

Why you are very welcome. ;) With an outpost at Marsh Harbour you can hunt US trade ships.

You forget that the US Rookie Capitol, Turtle Cay was in the same situation you now complain about, surrounded by Pirate ports, "snacks for the Pirates". The pirates choose not to defend that area so here we are. That region was captured because of certain resources and the regional bonus, not because of the rookie zone.

Who controls the regions around the Rookie zone is really irrelevant to whether the rookie zone is working as intended.

Exactly as I said. Easy snack for the americans. Glad you now agree.

Rookie PVE server experience: I deliberately created a new account to experience Naval Action as a new player. This is my feedback.......

Well done guys! 

The crew losses from cannon fire work well at this level. That allows you to reduce crew on a trader much more efficiently, allowing boarding. Chain, ball and grape all work well at this level.

The cargo traders carry is more valuable than it used to be, meaning you are not as short of cash early in as you used to be.

I tried a mission ( only one so far) and was surprised to see I had some AI help. This is wonderful. First missions used to be quite fraught with many people being sunk outright and wondering what just happened. A little AI help early on goes a long way to alleviate early mission mismatch as skills are developed. 

All in all starting as a rookie is a much more pleasant experience than it was when I first started. 

My few recommendations would be to increase the numbers of trading vessels but alternatively if you wish to encourage sailing further to hunt you are doing well. 

Also crafting is negatively affected by the current resource distribution. Not so much at low level for higher quality ships but for the associated blueprint drop chance. You may like to revisit blueprint drop chance in general now that quality ships are hard to build. 

Overall impression: Excellent.

I have an outpost in the American held islands, for the regional bonus.  I have happened on several new enemy players and do NOT attack them.  Some I chat with and answer questions and others never respond and either attack me or run.  

Just earlier today the was a Spanish guard marine in a trader cutter trying to get into a us port as I was coming in to dock after picking up a wreck.  I tried to talk to him and he just dropped sails and sat there. I told him he needed a smuggler flag to get into enemy port.  He never responded so I wished him well, docked up and logged off to go to work.

It is up to us, the vets, to care for our new players, regardless the nation.  Seal clubbing helps no one, tending to the young little captains helps us to grow allies to help, or enemies to give us good fights later.

Lads, it's been quite some time sense I have seen any new comments to this topic, but I feel I must chime in anyway.  In my opinion the Rookie Area is still a good idea for new players coming into the war.  I still maintain a small shallow draft fleet at Marsh and I do patrol the area.  I can't tell you how many times I have engaged new players (not to sink or board them) but to train them on the many aspects of Naval Action.  And the many thank you's I get form these new captains is heart warming.