Game-Labs Forum

'Friderichsdahl' Danish Trader Frigate, 1781 (plans and model)

Niels Terkildsen

ktf0mgE.jpg

From M/S Museet for Søfart (Maritime Museum of Elsinore): "Fregat og Vestindienfarer FREDERICHSDAHL. Bygget: 1780-82 i Flensborg. 129½ kommercelæst. Reder: Etatsråd P. v. Hemmert & Sønner, København. I 1799 solgt til Norge."

Trader Frigate, Friderichsdahl (a.k.a. Frederichsdahl / Frederiksdal et.al.) built for the West Indies 1780-82 in Flensborg (modern day Germany). 129½ kommercelæst (Danish tonnage). Shipowner: P. v. Hemmert & Sønner, Copenhagen. Sold for Norway in 1799.

From the Danish National Archives:

Dv20RIs.jpg

Ship plans (click on them for higher resolution):

0LjYehz.jpg

JyP8sDx.jpg

ai5O2Ge.jpg

bUTfmhO.jpg

Model:

Model in the scale 1:48 built by A. Nissen, Varde, Denmark, and given to the Maritime Museum in Elsinore by Venneselskabet and Otto Mønsteds Fond.

My own pictures from the museum (unfortunately it was hard to get proper pictures with the lack of light due to the exhibition being closed):

http://imgur.com/a/RkGWq

EDIT:

Took some better pictures when the lights were on in the museum:

http://imgur.com/a/J1YI2

More information:

http://www.jmarcussen.dk/maritim/skibsliste/side.php?id=10181

Edited by Niels Terkildsen
  • Like 6

"The 'Frederiksdal', an armed frigate, which like many West Indiamen was built in Flensborg, 1780-82. Its first owner was the very big Copenhagen commercial firm of van Hemert, headed by two half brothers Pieter van Hemert and Gysbert Behagen. They belonged to the influential patrician set centred round the German reformed church. Later the ship passed into the possession of lieutenant commander Diderich von Holstein, who was Behagen's son-in-law. On the trading voyage mentioned in the article the 'Frederiksdal' also functioned as a training ship for six naval lieutenants and a number of cadets. In 1794 and 1795 the vessel made voyages to the West Indies for another owner, von Holstein's brother-in-law Thøger Abo, adjutant general. Thereafter it sailed between Denmark and Norway until it was sold to Norway in 1799 after Abo's bankruptcy."

- Gøbel, Erik: ”Dansk sejlads på Vestindien og Guinea 1671-1807 (Danish voyages to the West Indies and Guinea)” i Hendriksen, Johnna; Jeppesen, Hans & Poulsen, Hanne (red.): Årbog 1982, p.37, Handels- og Søfartsmuseet på Kronborg, Helsingør, 1982.

Edited by Niels Terkildsen

The plans are excellent and pleasing to look at, yet there is something that looks strange about this ship.

I can't put my finger on it, but somethings looks odd.

(EDIT: i might be just me who thinks/feels that way :P)

Short masts and bowsprit. Also, that garbage in the middle of the ship needs to go.  :D