Game-Labs Forum

US server connection issue

If PvP2 has mostly a north american playerbase I sincerely hope that there won't be a merger, because time and time again we are reminded that running a global server just doesn't work out.

Consider for example that at the moment the US on PvP1 is the second-largest nation, while also having one of - if not the - smallest population and barely even being active in RvR. Two geographically separated servers, even with smaller server pops, is still better than half of one server never fighting the other half because of timezones splits. I know I'd far sooner quit the game if it required you to be up at 6am to get some PB action than if it had a small playercount.

Time and time again myself and others have said this same thing. We'd just as soon quit than to play on a server where everything is dictated and decided while im sleeping or at work.

Time and time again myself and others have said this same thing. We'd just as soon quit than to play on a server where everything is dictated and decided while im sleeping or at work.

EVE online seems to be just fine and thriving with a world-wide server.  I think it is shortsighted to assume you will hate it without even giving it a chance.

• Like 1

Apples and oranges my friend.

Really? That's what your going with?

apples and oranges
phrase of apple
NORTH AMERICAN
(of two people or things) irreconcilably or fundamentally different.

So you are telling me that EVE and Naval Action are irreconcilably and fundamentally different?  Let's see if that holds water: they are both MMORPGs (check), have a word-wide community (check), involve players upgrading ships and their armaments (check), involve navigating around a vast open world in said ship (check) while interacting with other players and NPCs in their ships (check) and taking over other player-run ports (check), and are mainly composed of factions of players within each player race/nationality (check)...and that's just off the top of my head.  Sounds nothing like "fundamentally different" to me.  In fact, sounds to me like pretty much the same game, but one is in space and one is in the ocean, and one is much further along in development and contains more advanced RPG and economic factors.  I am not citing this as a reason of what should be done, but I am citing these facts as a support to the idea that a world-wide server for this type of game can work quite well.

Backing up your opinion with just your 'feelings on the issue' about how you wouldn't like it and quit is being closed-mided, dismissive, and is not productive.
Edited by gravenunatak

Eve doesn't have ports to capture, and their territory control mechanic is completely different.  

You are completely wrong.  EVE has systems, which have outposts, which can be destroyed and then the system captured.  Replace the words "system" with "port", and "outpost" with "tower" in the above sentence and you have Naval action.

Regarding your comment stating "comparing Naval Action to EVE is like comparing Hello Kitty to UFC" -  I will just direct you to the following link so you know the proper name of your argument style for next time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Edited by gravenunatak

If you bothered to read the rest of my statement, you would see why I stated what I did.. But you were to bothered by the amount of sarcasm in my first line that you took it personally and decided to google a wiki link.  

..perhaps you failed to read the rest of my post, where I indicate that in fact I did read the rest of your post, and addressed points from your post that you used to support your comparison, and which I thought were incorrect.  The other portions of your post do not pertain to your straw man argument, they pertain to you listing your gaming experience and how you personally just didn't like combined servers.  I fail to see what evidence for your claim "comparing EVE to Naval Action is like comparing UFC to Hello Kitty" I am missing.  

It seems I have touched a nerve, for that I am sorry.  But you can't set up straw man arguments, knock them down, then say 'see, I am right. You don't understand', and then get all pissy when someone calls you out.

Edited by gravenunatak

If some of you on PvP2 are so hot to merge with PvP1, just transfer over.  Don't force other good people to have to quit the game due to bad ping rates just because you're not happy.

I have been playing PVP1 from USA with ~100 ping for over 6 months.  Ping rates aren't an issue in a game with slow speed action like Naval Action.  If this was a 60 fps FPS, sure, but not this game.  Thus, Ping rates should not be cited as a fear for combining servers.  Stop speaking in gross generalities that are based on a false narrative.  

Edited by gravenunatak

I have been playing PVP1 from USA with ~100 ping for over 6 months. Ping rates aren't an issue in a game with slow speed action like Naval Action. If this was a 60 fps FPS, sure, but not this game. Thus, Ping rates should not be cited as a fear for combining servers.

Good, continue to enjoy that experience. Those of us on PVP2 are happy where we are, not sure why if you are having such a good time on PVP1 you keep arguing so strongly for a merge.

I don't understand why a performance issue on PVP2 turned into a debate about server merges anyway. Seems like PVP1 isn't the utopia you all claim it to be if you are constantly asking for a merge. PVP2 has a lower pop but we figured out to work with that pop and enjoy it, you don't see a bunch of people on PVP2 asking for a merge and there is a reason for that.

Edited by Helbent
  • Like 1

Hardware provider reported that network attack was handled and protection setup was already improved, and they will continue to do further improvements.

Please post if you will have further disconnects during game, in case of massive disconnect outages will continue server will be migrated to alternative infrastructure.

• Like 1

In fact the numbers will absolutely go up; adding two numbers together makes a sum that is larger than both numbers, provided one is not negative.

As mentioned before by many US players, they will quit the game if they move the PvP2 server to Europe, as the lag spikes on a 400 ping is unplayable. So, no, the numbers would not go up. 

I played on pvp2 from Europe for months without issue. Why would it be so bad the other way round? I don't really care if the two servers get merged or not. It would be nice to be able to transfer my stuff from pvp2 to pvp1. In the end I doubt they will merge until after the game goes live. They will hope to get a load of new players, just like happened when the game went into early access, requiring multiple pvp servers.

trtc_sig.png

I don't know what kind of potato you run the game on, but I can get 60FPS in game if I turn down settings.

About that strawman you like to bring up.....

Just because your ping is give or take 100ms.  It isn't the same for everyone.  Some people may have over a 300ms ping if they are in some areas of the world connecting to a EU server vs the 100-200ms ping while connecting to a US based server. 

I am on the east coast of the USofA and I get a 40-70ms ping to the US server, and a 160-230ms ping to the EU server.   The fact that I can click and stuff happen WHEN I click,  I like that.   I have played on other PvP games, Mortal Online, where the server was in Molmo Sweden, and my ping was well north of 230ms.   I would swing at someone who is sitting in Germany, with a ping of 40ms, and they had already left the area at that point.

While it doesn't seem like much to you, but to others a fifth of a second is a LONG time to have to guestimate differences. 

Makes me wonder how man of these guys actually PvP or do port battles?  My FPS doesn't change cause of the server I'm on, it's my ping that does. I get about 50-60 on the US server cause I'm central US.  I get around 135-160 on the EU server and I started playing there.  Though when I started to finaly get into PvP and Port Battles I noticed big diffrence of my game performance going out the window and I'm not on some potatoe....it's the ping goes out the window and you don't see shots when they happen, you fire to late or to early and miss constantly.  You shoot into the water when there use to be a ship there or the waves change your aim.  There are a lot of issues when playing with really bad ping and I'm not even one of them poor ASIAN or AUSSIE players.  That and lets not get into the issue of player friendly ness on the much bigger server population.  

• Like 1

As mentioned before by many US players, they will quit the game if they move the PvP2 server to Europe, as the lag spikes on a 400 ping is unplayable. So, no, the numbers would not go up. 

There are zero "lag spikes".  I play on PVP1 from USA every day and have never experienced lag.  If this were a game that required millisecond reaction times (i.e. a 60 fps FPS like COD) then this might be a problem.  But this game is slow paced so the difference between a 50ms ping and a 100ms ping is not even able to be detected.  

There are zero "lag spikes".  I play on PVP1 from USA every day and have never experienced lag.  If this were a game that required millisecond reaction times (i.e. a 60 fps FPS like COD) then this might be a problem.  But this game is slow paced so the difference between a 50ms ping and a 100ms ping is not even able to be detected.  

IF that is you location that than might be why.  I live Central (TEXAS) and I started on PvP1 and I do get lag spikes a lot and my ping will go from 130 to 400 at times specially in big battles.   So not every one has the nice close routed connection to across the sea.   Even worse for the Asian and Aussie players.

IF that is you location that than might be why. I live Central (TEXAS) and I started on PvP1 and I do get lag spikes a lot and my ping will go from 130 to 400 at times specially in big battles. So not every one has the nice close routed connection to across the sea. Even worse for the Asian and Aussie players.

I know right. It almost feels like they simply dont want people fromthe Americas playing the game. Or at least thats how it feels.

I know..i saw and read it. Its not a whine its simply stating a fact. Sorry if that bothers you.

Again i dont think many of us care if we play this or another game. Its only you and your friends that since day one have wanted the US server shit down. Seems more of a issue for you than me or many of us.

Again dont see how its a whine but so be it it really dont matter. If i or most others cant play on a server with massive lag spikes and shit ping we have like 3000000 games to choose from lol. Sorry you have such a issue with US players.

Maybe one of my US friends here that also cant connect well to your perfect server csn explain how wanting a good stable equal and competitive serverbis a whine.

Edited by Mrdoomed
  • Like 1

Your reading comprehension must be very poor since you missed the fact that I'm a physically-based U.S. player that started out on PVP2. Add to that it doesn't bother me at all that you'd rather quit than move servers. I personally would love it if you left before bringing your crap attitude to PVP1. As it stands PVP1 has plenty of pleasant players, a nice collegial atmosphere, and we don't need the well poisoned by salty players moving over from PVP2.

That said, once a merge happens we'll welcome the added population in all nations, especially during US timezone operations, from those players that enjoy the game, enjoy a larger community, and want to play in a competitive, multiplayer environment.

I think you are holding two separate conversations. One in your head and one in real life. Everyone knows your disdain for pvp2 players so im not even sure why you keep talking.

Its like youre the little kid who won tje game but still bitches that hes better and he won lol. By all means keep going on with your hopes and dreams little guy.

• Like 1

Hell I may go back to WWII Online, at least that server is in Texas.

Yes anything would be better than playing with people like Wraith and a 400 ping with 3000 ping spikes.

I almost hope they find a way to stabilize the servers on a neutral setting for all players just so us unruly pvp2 players can ruin his " Collegial " atmosphere lmao. I mean really he loves his collegial server lol. Pretty much sums it up for me ha ha ha ha

Edited by Mrdoomed
  • Like 1

Almost makes me want to join PvP1 and form a clan of us unruly PVP2 players just to perform a rolling brownout on his parade. (Google it, and I am sorry)

Noni totally would be up for that. Have talked to others abut making a massive pvp2 former players ( would have to be pirates or outlaws to work ) and just hunt mad college bros like wraithy lol.

I can just envision how mad our uncouth manors would make all the bros.

I have no disdain at all for PVP2 players in general, and would welcome you to find posts of mine where I express that? I've only ever expressed disdain for people who make baseless claims about the importance of ping, phantom lag spikes, denigrating those of us who play on PVP1 and our pvp skills, and who have pretty poor trolling skills. It's all lolz for me in any case and I hope you do come over to PVP1 to try some real pvp and see exactly how little that 100ms difference makes. :) I'll see you on the high seas for a good fight and will welcome your chat bans when you attempt your piss-poor trolling. ;)

Troll on mad college brah. I love how you boast over your mad pvp1 battle skills brah that you get cuz youre a mad brah from pvp1.

You are seriously delusional. Im just gonna ignore you now and let you get back to that college life you never escaped brah. Happy trolling mad brah. Lol

Maybe the reason why pop has been down is there has been a publicly stated wipe coming. Folks don't understand it and have wandered off, or maybe they don't want to spend time fighting over things that don't matter soon, or they are tired of having to move stuff. Sometimes you just need a break. Who knows. 

Any speculation as to why people are not playing, without contacting folks who were regulars who are no longer and asking, is just specualtion. I have a hard time believe oldcrankyman left because the PVP2 numbers were down. 

I left because everybody went pirate.  I'll see how things work after the patch, but the way it sits, it's not enjoyable.  If the new mechanics work the way I think they will, the pirates will be essentially untouchable.   Oh well, X^*$ 2 is fun.

• Like 2

I am really surprised how simplistic some make out about the ping rate between PvP1 and PvP2 from outside of the European theater. I am even more surprised of those in the U.S. that because they haven't any problems with PvP1 then nobody else in the U.S. should be experiencing any problems.

Let me provide an example:

Coeur D'Alene Idaho, Frontier Communications, I had a ping about 130 for PvP1

L3 communication, I had a ping of about 210 for PvP1.

Same city, two different providers, one has its POP in Spokane Washington while the other had its POP in Honolulu Hawaii.

When in Honolulu I had a ping rate of about 140-150 on most days to PvP1.

From Salem Oregon ping rate was about 180

From Stockton California ping rate was about 130

From Gonzales Louisiana ping rate was about 190 yet from Baton Rouge Lousiana I get 150

PvP2 in these locations 《100

I could go on but I believe you get the point that no matter where you are no everyone is going to have a good connection and as more people are involved in a battle, this becomes critical.

Merging the two servers does not help everybody. Keeping two active allows everyone an opportunity to play the game.

Why anyone would think that merging the two servers would be a good idea if it has the potential of eliminating players. The only thing this has a potential for in possible allowing those who like this game swing to the PvE server because it is less intense on the connection. The largest group that can be affected is the Asian/Aussie market. I don't think that is a direction anyone wants.

• Like 2