Game-Labs Forum

The 2 minute timer cannot stand!:

So I just lost my ship from a group of guys in an elite gank fleet right next to a port.  I am not salty or mad about it, but what I am is without a ship to even play the game.  I told them that I was new and was trying to get established by doing missions but they do not care.  They wanted blood, and of course they won easily as I was outnumbered 5 to 1.  

I just started a new faction on PvP1.  I have no ships and no gold and was given a starter 1 durability Bucentaure to try and get established by doing missions.  Well, I just got tagged right outside of a port before I could get my ship in, Guess I need to WIGGLE WIGGLE a little harder to get the option to join port to show up!  Now I am down to a basic cutter.  Because I lost this ship right outside a port that I couldn't get into before getting tagged and pulled into combat, I am no longer able to do missions to acquire money to get my economy rolling; I am down to a basic cutter.  Why this is a problem is that the 2 minute timer caters to the hard core well established player and is relentless, brutal and unforgiving to new players.  These gank fleets stalk waters that should be almost assured death if they sail in, instead, they get to gank with impunity with almost no risk.  Also, I was 1-2 ports away from my Nation's capital.  

Anyone who thinks the 2 minute timer is a good idea, your a fool, and this game will die.  If I an experienced level 50 crafter at max rank cannot get his economy rolling because of viscous and relentless gank fleets, no new player will stand a chance.

Now, I am probably not going to have much difficulty recovering from my lost ship because I have a clan that can easily replace the the lost ship.  But for the new players who finally just got their constitution, or 3rd rate, how long do you think their patients will last as gank fleets keep taking their ships from them that they are unable to replace over and over right outside ports that are literally a 2-5 minute sail away from the capital?  

Edited by Ultravis
  • Like 6

I agree; only giving other ships two minutes to come in and help is outrageous. No one should be able to get ganked within sight of their capitol... I've been watching various enemies of Great Britain ganking ships in sight of Port Royal; and even though I fly every bit of canvas, it closes so fast that no one can really respond.

The logic of having a timer is obvious. Of course, if all battles were open, then a single engagement could turn into a giant mob of ships. Timers mean that we can have single-ship actions more frequently as well. But, two minutes is simply too short; that's only enough time for those in the immediate area around the battle to get in and help. 

I would propose extending the timer to at least five minutes. That's enough time for closeby players to hear the cry for help and get in, but not too long enough that the battle is overpopulated, or that ganking other ships is impossible.

• Like 2

The 2 minutes RoE going away and new RoE to be tested with the new 2 circle idea ( search admin threads for details ). A huge area of combat. You choose if you want or not to participate.

I love the idea because - and read this aloud 3 times - you must be at sea. You must be deployed. You cannot be at port.

• Like 3

I love the idea because - and read this aloud 3 times - you must be at sea. You must be deployed. You cannot be at port.

And thus his and his kinds problem will never be fixed. You and i both know ( because we make a life of raiding) that if OPs friends or nation would simply SIT AT SEA instead of afking while they wait for him toget killed so they can gank he wouldn't get ganked.

The devs can do anything they want and nothing is ever going to keep sheep from being prey , wolves from being wolves and lazy port hugging cowards from being lazy port hugging cowards. But i do look forward to thier new demands and reasons they they can survive.

Edited by Mrdoomed
  • Like 5

Just take it as a learning experience, we all get ganked (repeatedly) at some point - never sail a ship you can't afford to lose :)

If you're looking to do solo missions it's best to do them well away from busy ports/capitals.

You see, that's the problem, there is no nowhere that is safe. There are enemy ships everywhere I sail.

I take missions that force me to venture out far from where I get them and I am always running into enemy ships.

Edited by Ultravis

You see, that's the problem, there is no nowhere that is safe. There are enemy ships everywhere I sail.

I take missions that force me to venture out far from where I get them and I am always running into enemy ships.

Your biggest problem is you are a pve player who keeps playing on a pvp server. Im guessing you like port battles because of the protection and ability to run away if you want but that dont make you a pvp player.

Sorry but after months of reading your problems with pvp it seems to just come down to youre not good at it and should do your little missions on a pve server.

Im sure you will get mad at me but im honestly trying to help you have fun.

Edited by Mrdoomed
  • Like 1

Like they said; We've been over timers so many times.

I like the sob story, tho. The lamentations of a high ranking player who is unable to farm missions in a second rate in total safety.

If you can make your way to La Mona I can set you up with a more appropriate solo ship. It does suck to be back in a cutter and I hope you've taken the lesson the gankers provided to heart.

• Like 4

Your biggest problem is you are a pve player who keeps playing on a pvp server. Im guessing you like port battles because of the protection and ability to run away if you want but that dont make you a pvp player.

Sorry but after months of reading your problems with pvp it seems to just come down to youre not good at it and should do your little missions on a pve server.

Im sure you will get mad at me but im honestly trying to help you have fun.

No I am a pvp player that is forced to do pve to get an economy going to build ships to pvp with. Now, I don't mind having to do a little pve to get money to buy recourses to build ships. But when I am forced to do pve to get recourses to craft I don't like getting ganked. I pvped all the time when I had stocks of ships to use. Edited by Ultravis
  • Like 1

No I am a pvp player that is forced to do pve to get an economy going to build ships to pvp with. Now, I don't mind having to do a little pve to get money to buy recourses to build ships. But when I am forced to do pve to get recourses to craft I don't like getting ganked. I pvped all the time when I had stocks of ships to use.

Not saying you are not trying to play pvp im saying its not for you obviously. I play pvp one 1 server since day 1 of ow where there was very little " protection " for me and so have thousands of others. We survived we made money we do fine.

You have problems on both servers. The problem is you are not good at this kind of pvp and you either need to start learning from someone or go to pve because it seems you are always at odds with all pvp unless its a battle of your making.

How you can find enemies everywhere to fight and harrass you and i have to sail around the world just to find one poor guy is unexplainable. Just start asking people to help you learn to pvp.

Also why are you forced to do pve ? You mean for gold ? Just sit near a port and attack ai ships. Zero danger.

Edited by Mrdoomed

Not saying you are not trying to play pvp im saying its not for you obviously. I play pvp one 1 server since day 1 of ow where there was very little " protection " for me and so have thousands of others. We survived we made money we do fine.

You have problems on both servers. The problem is you are not good at this kind of pvp and you either need to start learning from someone or go to pve because it seems you are always at odds with all pvp unless its a battle of your making.

How you can find enemies everywhere to fight and harrass you and i have to sail around the world just to find one poor guy is unexplainable. Just start asking people to help you learn to pvp.

I have logged 1300+ hours in this game all on a pvp server. On pvp2 I have so many ships and recourses. I can build any ship I want. I accumulated all this wealth mostly doing missions out of Tumbato and I lost a lot of ships in the process. But I didn't always lose because back then if I was in distress, a bunch from my nation could join the battle and help. The fact of the matter is, you got well established when it was much easier. No crew cost and no 2 minute timers.

Go ahead I challenge you. Delete your account and start from scratch on pvp1. You have no mods no money and a basic cutter. Once you get into a decent ship you will go out do a mission and then lose it to a gank squad with green and basic upgrades, 2/3 to half your crew, half your armor because you just got out of a mission and the gank crew comes along and takes your ship just outside port because they were there waiting for someone to gank all day.

I have logged 1300+ hours in this game all on a pvp server. On pvp2 I have so many ships and recourses. I can build any ship I want. I accumulated all this wealth mostly doing missions out of Tumbato and I lost a lot of ships in the process. But I didn't always lose because back then if I was in distress, a bunch from my nation could join the battle and help. The fact of the matter is, you got well established when it was much easier. No crew cost and no 2 minute timers.

Go ahead I challenge you. Delete your account and start from scratch on pvp1. You have no mods no money and a basic cutter. Once you get into a decent ship you will go out do a mission and then lose it to a gank squad with green and basic upgrades, 2/3 to half your crew, half your armor because you just got out of a mission and the gank crew comes along and takes your ship just outside port because they were there waiting for someone to gank all day.

You say two different things. You say how rich and powerful you are on pvp2 by doing missions (PVE) and calling for help when you needed but then you just told me you dont do pve unless you have to and just do pvp. So again my very first statement belongs to you. You are a pve mission fella who liked to do port battle.

You have 2 choices play pve where you should be or learn to play with the possibility of losing. How you find bad guys everywhere is a secret ide love to know cuz all i ever see is guys peeking outa port then running back in.

You have honestly said all we need to know. Youre simply not good at pvp and either ask to be taught (which you wont of course) or play pve (which of course you wont) or keep making posts on how unfair the game is to you and like 8 other people.

Good luck, hope you come back to pvp2.

Edit...oh i dont need to accept your challenge as my ship of choice is already one you would consider a joke and a low level scrub ship and i do have millions because i dont lose ships or crew like you and all my gold goes to profit sir.

Id offer to help you but i know youre much better than me and only need a fair game to shine.

Edited by Mrdoomed

You don't know that, and you're being rather rude.

Why would you say such a thing? Do you get off on being toxic?

I know in this day and age telling someone who cant throw a ball or catch one isnt going to be a good ball player is rude. I took the chance he was mature enough to see that there is help if he wants to get better instead of bitching everydsy that the game is rigged against him.

You are right though. Im not going to bother with him again.

Truth does not equal toxic fyi.

I know in this day and age telling someone who cant throw a ball or catch one isnt going to be a good ball player is rude. I took the chance he was mature enough to see that there is help if he wants to get better instead of bitching everydsy that the game is rigged against him.

You are right though. Im not going to bother with him again.

Truth does not equal toxic fyi.

You play on a care bear server (PvP2) with no player pop and you accumulated your wealth with care bear 5 minute + timers and no crew costs.  Come to PvP1 and try to build yourself up.  There will be an enemy sitting in every free port you travel by just licking their chops to take your ship as soon as you sail close by, 4 more guys will pop out and happily take your ship from you.  

Edited by Ultravis

You play on a care bare server (PvP2) with no player pop and you accumulated your wealth with care bare 5 minute + timers and no crew costs. Come to PvP1 and try to build yourself up. There will be an enemy sitting in every free port you travel by just licking their chops to take your ship as soon as you sail close by, 4 more guys will pop out and happily take your ship from you.

At my prime time the servers are the same . Stop making excuses PLUS you LEFT the carebear server cuz you couldn't hack it.

Ive already been told im to mean to.you and are hurting your feeling so like i said inwont keep telling you how to pown.

Funny I did something like that.  And I found it not that hard to survive.  I made a fresh pirate character on PvP1EU.  And in an hour I had enough crew to crew the ship I wanted.   I went out and got a Pickle... put some carronades on it and started working on pvp.

Now I have 3 Pickles in a fleet, and I still haven't lost a ship in PvP to anyone there, I haven't had much issue avoiding fights I cant win, and getting away form those that jump me in a bad situation.   So perhaps it could come down to a matter of knowing how to sail.

Oh Hodo, you big boy you, you are so OP.

Ultravis, i get where you are coming from as I am a casual gamer too and like to switch from pve to pvp when i feel like it. There are lot's of big boy pvp'rs who will criticize you for having that option though. Lets hope the new game mechanics are great for everyone, be it hard core pvp'rs and carebears and all in between.

• Like 1

I'd be a bit mad if I gave someone a 2nd rate to get them started and the first thing they did was take it out solo and get captured.

And yet hes the victom and needs no advice and anyone offering him advice on how to improve is the bad guy.

This = career victim, needs instant gratification.

Edited by Mrdoomed

I never understood this mentality. Why would anyone give someone new an item they cant fully use in any game no matter how powerful it is, when they are more likely to lose it than use it.

Not saying anything to you personally ajffighter86 by that.

I craft, and I craft ships I use mostly.

I don't understand the need to give new players ships above their rank so they can have something big to play with.

2 words.

Instant

Gratification

Sorry Hodo, I was typing these posts from a phone.  I edited it for you so it says bear now.

In my humble opinion, the 2 minute timers is the number one worst thing to happen to this game.  It has made ganking far worse than I have ever seen before.

I do not like the 2 minute timers and cannot stand this game with them.  I want 5 minute timers.  I expect a certain level of safety sailing off the coast of my nations capital.  

I used to do missions with my St. Pavel all the time solo with no problems before 2 minute timers were introduced before the buc ever existed.

I am sorry you guys are too shortsighted to see why the 2 minute timers are really really bad for this game.

Edited by Ultravis
  • Like 1

When it was no timer it was called to long and game breaking, 5 minutes was catered to help gankers and was game breaking now 2 minutes is geared to gankers and game breaking.

This damn game keeps breaking itself.

People that cant navigate an open world have issues gankers the rest dont.

Edited by Mrdoomed

I am sorry you guys are too shortsighted to see why the 2 minute timers are really really bad for this game.

lel

We played a very long time with eternal join timers, they were incrementally shortened to 5 min times. Gameplay still suffered. You'll be pleased to know we fought for 1 min timers, you could call 2 min timers a compromise ;)

lel

We played a very long time with eternal join timers, they were incrementally shortened to 5 min times. Gameplay still suffered. You'll be pleased to know we fought for 1 min timers, you could call 2 min timers a compromise ;)

well, you fought for something that ruins the game for the majority of the games player base.  Blocking people from joining battles in a game like this is a recipe for a fail game.  People play this game to fight in battles, 2 minute timers take that away for most players.  whats left for your average player is a gankfest for them.  I never had a problem with 5 minute timers I was able to play the game just fine, sometimes I manage to get to battles, sometimes I didnt, but 2 minutes is absurdly low and it really should be rolled back at the very least to 3 or 4 minutes.

• Like 2