Game-Labs Forum

Please Restore the Social Perk

If anything, this idea will result in less ganking. You would have to wait 2 minutes to join a battle after leaving a free port, meaning the minimum distance from the battle you start when the battle starts is 1 KM away. The out of port ganking can be controlled by adjusting the no join timer, or by adjusting the distance you spawn away from the battle for every minute of time that passes in Open world. If the no join timer was upped to say 4 minutes, then you would be out 2 km on top of having to wait 4 minutes to join the battle.

Overall, ganking would be much more difficult with this type of battle timer because:

1) the 5 man fleet that attacks the solo guy would have limited time to get him

2) If reinforcements join the battle to where the ganking fleet knows that the odds are stacked against them, they can sail away from the reinforcements and most likely escape the battle with ease due to the vast distances away the ships would spawn.

This is nothing more than a troll comment and adds zero value to the discussion. I would greatly appreciate it if you would stop with these 1 liner smug comments. Just because someone has a different opinion than you do, does not make them a dishonest person. I have ganked in the past, but I do not go out of my way actively looking to gank players. 9 times out of 10, if I see a ship in open world that is easy prey, I let them go, unless it is someone who either has a bounty on their head or is someone who has irritated me previously.

Its hardly a troll comment. Its pretty much spot on. Sorry if you dont like to hear it or see it that way but its what it is.

this thread is loltastic

all this damn noobs cry they got ganked in their precious 2ndrate, alone,   inside "protected area" rofltmao, the moment you leave the green area you  are alone. deal with it.

Like eve online never leave with a ship you cant afford to lose and more important dont dick around with a ship that have 0 chance to escape.    

• Like 3

This is exactly why I stressed that giving infinite perk resets is a bad idea for testing, but to no avail because "more tests = more data".

In a 'normal' scenario - 3 levels lost when resetting the officer - you wouldn't face nearly as many players with the social perk, but instead we got to experience a case where everyone could swap to it on the fly - and they did.

Someone doing a quick trader run who wants guaranteed assistance, someone who just started acting as bait, someone who just swapped to a fast ship for tagging - all of whom would reconsider if it would be worth the 5 points in a normal scenario, and the fewer who have 'em the more likely it is that they're identified and avoided.

This is exactly why I stressed that giving infinite perk resets is a bad idea for testing, but to no avail because "more tests = more data".

In a 'normal' scenario - 3 levels lost when resetting the officer - you wouldn't face nearly as many players with the social perk, but instead we got to experience a case where everyone could swap to it on the fly - and they did.

Someone doing a quick trader run who wants guaranteed assistance, someone who just started acting as bait, someone who just swapped to a fast ship for tagging - all of whom would reconsider if it would be worth the 5 points in a normal scenario, and the fewer who have 'em the more likely it is that they're identified and avoided.

I suggested a 24h timer or less for perk reset for avoid ppl, setting perks on the moment for that particular pb, or situation. even a 4h timer is enought for avoid this situations

now ppl reset to pirate hunter vs pirate pb

crafting perks if he go sleep or craft

perk for hire crew if he need to replenish crew for cheaper cost etc etc

• Like 1

Well, I think we can agree on one thing, whether you support the 2 minute timer or the 5 minute timers, the timer system sucks and a new options is needed.  Preventing players to joining a battle should never be an acceptable solution to any open world game with realm battles.  This makes for a bad experience for players just looking to have some fun in battles out in open world.

I like this idea that has been proposed before; the later you join the battle, the farther you spawn from the action.  For every 1 minute in open world time that passes once a battle has started, the spawn point is moved 500 meters away from the center of where the action started.  If you arrive 10 minutes late, then you will be 5 kilometers out and the guy getting ganked will need to sail towards the friendly ships to guarantee that his help arrives in time to save him. 

This would create a race between the guy getting ganked and the gankers.  The gankers would need to kill the ship before the reinforcements get within range. 

Simple math:  If a ship joins 5 minute late, he will spawn 2.5 KM away from the battle.  If he is sailing 10 knots, it will take him 8 minutes to get to the point where the battle started.  Assuming he is sailing down wind and the player getting ganked is sailing upwind at 5 knots to get to his friends who are tying to get their to help, this would cut the time down to ~6 minutes.  So in total, it will take your reinforcements a minimum of 11 minutes to come to your aid, including the open world travel of 5 minutes.

Assuming battles never close, at some point, people will join battles and realize that they are just way too far away from the action to make any significant difference.  Sure, they could join, but if you are joining a battle that has been going on for 30 minutes, good luck getting there to make any meaningful impact, you will be 15 km out at sea in the battle realm.

This is best idea  :D

Yes... It it is... By far!

Yes as long as you are assuming the people engaged in the battle you wish to gank are both sailing good wind away from the spawm point and not manuevers and tacks, and raising lowering sail going in a circular direction as they fight for positions.

I realize you guys idea of a battle is the stupid ai who lets you fight like that or you do port battles that are ( at least the 30 or so ive been in) just a mess of blobss moving around shooting.

If YOU guys where to.fight some ow pvp you will see your idea is not great but you will also see that if your idea is used the battle becomes unwinnable by the attacker as long as people decide to.help.