Game-Labs Forum

'Named' ships for pirates

So far we've got a lot of naval ships in the game, but with a pirate faction, the question arises: "Where are the named pirate ships?" There's some awesome pirate vessels from history and their unique makeup with huge crew complements for their size, usually lighter, mismatched cannon loads, and even reasonable cargo space they could be awesome platforms for players who like boarding to build from, and give some much needed variety to the 'Mercury or Rattlesnake' shallow port battles.

Besides, how cool would it be to sail in Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge, Vane's Ranger, the Whydah, Adventure Galley, Good Fortune or Satisfaction or more fitting with the timeline of the game, Benito de Soto's Black Joke or Surcouf's Revenant. To be honest I'd happily trade any of my rated vessels to sail in those little ships, if for nothing else than name alone!

Edited by saltiestraccoon

So far we've got a lot of naval ships in the game, but with a pirate faction, the question arises: "Where are the named pirate ships?" There's some awesome pirate vessels from history and their unique makeup with huge crew complements for their size, usually lighter, mismatched cannon loads, and even reasonable cargo space they could be awesome platforms for players who like boarding to build from, and give some much needed variety to the 'Mercury or Rattlesnake' shallow port battles.

Besides, how cool would it be to sail in Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge, Vane's Ranger, the Whydah, Adventure Galley, Good Fortune or Satisfaction or more fitting with the timeline of the game, Benito de Soto's Black Joke or Surcouf's Revenant. To be honest I'd happily trade any of my rated vessels to sail in those little ships, if for nothing else than name alone!

You need to provide veritable proof of these vessels (draughts/line drawings).  Models and paintings won't cut it, nor would fanciful Hollywood representations.

• Like 2

You need to provide veritable proof of these vessels (draughts/line drawings).  Models and paintings won't cut it, nor would fanciful Hollywood representations.

I'm not looking for fanciful Hollywood representations. Honestly that suggestion feels a little insulting. See any number of my other posts, I'm interested in a grounded and realistic game. I could go on to mention that many of the ships in the game were sunk and we have no reference but for paintings and such. Besides, the crew has made a few creative choices that definitely err on the side of the fanciful already. Pretty sure the rattlesnake didn't have that figurehead. 

Several wrecks have been discovered and suspected reconstructions are available particularly for the Queen Anne's revenge. I see no reason why including ships like that would be any more 'fanciful' than including other ships with little credible reference material.

I'm not looking for fanciful Hollywood representations. Honestly that suggestion feels a little insulting. See any number of my other posts, I'm interested in a grounded and realistic game. I could go on to mention that many of the ships in the game were sunk and we have no reference but for paintings and such. Besides, the crew has made a few creative choices that definitely err on the side of the fanciful already. Pretty sure the rattlesnake didn't have that figurehead. 

Several wrecks have been discovered and suspected reconstructions are available particularly for the Queen Anne's revenge. I see no reason why including ships like that would be any more 'fanciful' than including other ships with little credible reference material.

I don't know you, so bear with me when I say I mean no insult, but when the majority of posts about named pirate vessels ARE about the fanciful Hollywood representations, they tend to irk those of us who don't hold with such things.

I'm all for seeing such historical vessels ingame, but there's only so many liberties that can be taken with history before it becomes a problem.  If and when historical pirate ships can be ingame, it would certainly be a sight to see, but until then, I'll continue to champion vessels of which plans already exist.