Game-Labs Forum

Allow steam screenshots

Errrr...how to embelish...oh yeh...allow steam screenshots...why not...tis; a steamie after all :)

you have to upload them to imgur and post here as forum prepared links

as far as i remember steam screens are jpg and also can be posted here

(...)

as far as i remember steam screens are jpg and also can be posted here

Proof:

Nope, just tried.

The steam screenie gets correctly shown in the preview, but when I try to post I get greeted with->

"An error occurred

You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community."

Yes, it is a jpg, but due the steam cloud system the given link is a direct link to the cloud (very efficient) but has no extension at all.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/255965188091045177/55B6E1CB8010B049C88784D3709E8B4BC01E74F3/

Even when manually editing the BB code it is still not allowed due to the forum settings.

Sorry, but 'lol', the for the users most natural and easiest way to share screenies didn't get the needed exception in the website logic.

Maybe worth to bring up during a team meeting?

Edited by Ragor

Proof:

Nope, just tried.

The steam screenie gets correctly shown in the preview, but when I try to post I get greeted with->

"An error occurred

You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community."

Yes, it is a jpg, but due the steam cloud system the given link is a direct link to the cloud (very efficient) but has no extension at all.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/255965188091045177/55B6E1CB8010B049C88784D3709E8B4BC01E74F3/

Even when manually editing the BB code it is still not allowed due to the forum settings.

Sorry, but 'lol', the for the users most natural and easiest way to share screenies didn't get the needed exception in the website logic.

Maybe worth to bring up during a team meeting?

What he originally meant was, save the steam screenshot to your PC, then go to to an image hosting site like Imgur  and upload it there, then directly link it back here to show on site.

Example, this is a steam screenshot:

N3mBpXb.jpg

Screenshots can't be linked back to due not have .jpg, .png, .gif, ect. in the URL to the image, as you so found out. Hope this helps.

If u post such a big screen shot directly from steam, it will blow up whole forum

BS²

"Rescale to (set your parameters here)" is one of the basic features of any forum client to keep the formatting.

Or how do you think does ANY preview function work?

Native resolution is an option, but only very adventurous or unexperienced sys admins would allow it.

Edited by Ragor
  • Like 1

The extension helps to keep people from creating links to malicious software/scripts in the forums. Since steam images do not have an extension, the current forum software can't tell if it's a script, executable, word doc, or whatever, so the image is blocked.

You'd be better off petitioning Steam to add extensions (or a linkable address) to their image system. :)

• Like 1