Game-Labs Forum

I like the avatar but the thing whit the boarding is and was in potbs. It was ping based the closer you are to the server the bettrr ping and bla bka bla. I love boarding but it is exploited to easy by players do not get me wrong i was a desent border till the fantasy amazingly weird swords and stuff i think the wave thing not work great death is death. And you got swords of course. I just want a fair system no advantages I would love to help develop maybe the avatar should be used to look treu the spyglass and on land in the town.

Could still use a boarding animation, and the crew modification will make it much more interesting but at least it satisfies the required boarding mechanic. It does lack the immersive qualities that rest of the gameplay offers though but the devs probably have higher priority issues at the moment.

Personally i dont like current boarding system and i want see something different and more accurate. I want see fight on decks. And got message for all those hardcore simulation fans - at the end its a game and games should bring some fun instead frustration.There are some ship simulation games already;-) I think it could be balanced well. I want see avatars in NA, i want see my crew fighting on decks, i want fight myself as a captain.I want possibility to go sometimes on land, visit nice looking towns and nice taverns beteween my buissneses

I prefer the boarding system as is. I imagine that the visual effects shall be incorporated in due course. The devs have already requested different marines uniforms et cetera. I personally would be happy with the boarding staying as it is then run the risk of the Potbs avatar boarding which is something that you should completely avoid.

Not sure what could be best option here: and agree no potbs "ping-win" combat where one guy with magic sword kill all crew with "op" skills:) We need this feature as boarding was very common tactic during age of sails era.

Here are some examples of nice uniforms of era:

di-SAAIW25Y.jpg

di-L80V710V.jpg

di-XZQJ59NS.jpg

di-G049E43I.jpg

di-EW7BLNPT.jpg

di-ZLT6ZAPC.png

di-BV4R60D8.png

Would be great to get as well user content like flags, sails maybe (but this could not historical accurate most of sails was plain) but more important customize uniforms for your society would be great feature in my opinion - something like easy editor  for example:

di-9N3TSW9C.jpg

di-HO6ZTDP6.jpg

• Like 1

Personally i dont like current boarding system and i want see something different and more accurate. I want see fight on decks. And got message for all those hardcore simulation fans - at the end its a game and games should bring some fun instead frustration.There are some ship simulation games already;-) I think it could be balanced well. I want see avatars in NA, i want see my crew fighting on decks, i want fight myself as a captain.I want possibility to go sometimes on land, visit nice looking towns and nice taverns beteween my buissneses

Well 

It took football manager (formerly known as championship manager) 15 years to get from the excellent text engine to the 3d engine. We know its possible but there need to finish basics first. Better to under promise and over deliver.

Well 

It took football manager (formerly known as championship manager) 15 years to get from the excellent text engine to the 3d engine. We know its possible but there need to finish basics first. Better to under promise and over deliver.

Good to know you guys thinking about it:) 

When he said football manager, he meant football manager :-)

http://www.footballmanager.com

This is one of the oldest, active series of computer games. Apparently so good that used by real managers and trainers.

Football is for men - soccer for laidies:)

• Like 1

I think avatars are a necessity at some point (not yet obviously) for this to truly feel like a MMO. Even if it just boils down to an avatar you can walk around a port with or walk around your ship with etc. 

It should by no means be a development priority but it would certainly help the game feel complete one day far in the future.

The technical issues of having avatars in Unity in a MMO setting is big though... no ones made a MMO in unity before =/

• Like 1

I have played Football Manager for years, nice to see it mentioned. It's graphics are still pretty basic, but for as little as something like that would be used in this game, it would be perfect for boarding.

I don't care about walking on shore, but moving about the cabin to manage navigation, supplies and missions, or exploring the whole ship, interacting with crew during a long voyage etc, would be cool to see one day.

May I suggest for captains quarters, you just make one for each Captain and make it a place we could display mission rewards, medals, trophies or other such items awarded throughout the game.  

Yeah, and when you get raked by the stern you lose all your mission rewards, medals, trophies and whatnot. Good plan. Realistic. I like. :D

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not even under development. Switching focus before delivering one finished block of content is bad for business. 

• avatar combat wasted a lot of resources for Potbs
  • Avcom will waste even more resources for Star citizen

We are 10x smaller than Star citizen dev team and delivered more stable product with more content per developer than their 300 people with millions of dollars. Its because we focus. 

No Avcom is planned for Naval Action in the foreseeable future. 

ps. We discussed that we might be able to run around ports some day in the future or sit in your captains cabin. 

• Like 9

I stand corrected, although I was referring to the way boarding is handled at large.  Good, as far as I'm concerned.  I'm here for ship combat.  Quite frankly, avatar combat in PotBS was clunky as hell.  Then you had all the magic little items.  Steel is steel, if it pokes a hole in you then you're in trouble.

• Like 2

... Quite frankly, avatar combat in PotBS was clunky as hell.  Then you had all the magic little items.  Steel is steel, if it pokes a hole in you then you're in trouble.

I couldn't agree more. IF avcom were to ever find its way into Naval Action, it should follow its open-sea counterpart's design: skill wins the day, not equipment or "magic skills"

However, I do believe avatars will be imperative to the MMO design of the game, whether it is running around a port or on the deck of you own or another's ship (I would like to show my ship off to my peers should I get the chance, nothing like a bit of friendly boasting)  or even just sitting in a pre-battle lobby, an avatar will provide a face to put with a name, as well as (hopefully) customizable uniforms and clothing to match. 

Non-combat interactions between players in ports, on decks, in lobbies, etc. with avatars would be paramount in order to keep the air of the MMO from going stale and to hopefully ensure that players do not see enemies or friends as simply another ship on the horizon. In my opinion at least.

• Like 3

I couldn't agree more. IF avcom were to ever find its way into Naval Action, it should follow its open-sea counterpart's design: skill wins the day, not equipment or "magic skills"

However, I do believe avatars will be imperative to the MMO design of the game, whether it is running around a port or on the deck of you own or another's ship (I would like to show my ship off to my peers should I get the chance, nothing like a bit of friendly boasting)  or even just sitting in a pre-battle lobby, an avatar will provide a face to put with a name, as well as (hopefully) customizable uniforms and clothing to match. 

Non-combat interactions between players in ports, on decks, in lobbies, etc. with avatars would be paramount in order to keep the air of the MMO from going stale and to hopefully ensure that players do not see enemies or friends as simply another ship on the horizon. In my opinion at least.

100% agreeing with you, we need avatars,avatar combat,and clothing.For the sake of boarding.

We need it but not now , you guys at the dev team are doing a fine work  with concentration, but this shouldnt denie the thing that avatars will matter as time goes.

I say devote the resources to ships and the world first. Although i would like to see detailed towns, not to run around in, but simply to make each town different from the others as you sail into port. Some historical buildings would be nice, as would historical layouts of the ports themselves. A picture or two to show what I mean. First Oslo (smallish town at the time, i believe), then Hamburg.Harbour_of_Christiania_%28JW_Edy_plate_5Hamburg_Braun-Hogenberg.jpg