Game-Labs Forum

As a clan leader of over 10 years I have been looking for a multiplayer game like this for some time. I have a couple of questions regarding the feasibility building a long term clan or club around this gaming software. I understand this game is early in its development and there are no plans to add a first person avatar ....however in the future adding the ability to move throughout the ship and even moving yourself onto someone else's ship would be quite attractive to clans...example: sending a flag order to have all ship captains meet the admiral in his state room at 5 bells . The ability to be in first person while commanding your ship, interacting with your crew (a few real players ,maybe officers only) studying battle plans in your

Officers quarters would really make you feel like you were actually on the ship and give the player more of a real world feel IE hornblower or master and commander....just some food for thought

• Like 8

Hello CaptMiles

We are definitely thinking adding an avatar of the player (but at a much later stage). Captain quarters - we also thought about this - it depends on the number of ships we will have in the final game. The more ships we have the less chance for a unique captain cabin for every ship. 

One solution could be to have them unique for the class of the ship (but not for every ship).

but of course - these are all very long term plans

• Like 5

May I suggest for captains quarters, you just make one for each Captain and make it a place we could display mission rewards, medals, trophies or other such items awarded throughout the game.  

I am imagining something like the houses you can buy in Skyrim.  Weapons racks, uniform/clothing display mannequins, etc.

The cabin size would not have to match the ship, but just be a generic cabin.  

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does that mean at first we cannot defeat ships with boarding action ? Or will there be an dice roll effect for boarding action dependent on certain stats. In fact is there boarding action implemented at all ?

There will be 3 iterations of boarding due to current focus on only graphics, combat and optimization

1) simple brute force stat based boarding (he who is stronger and have more people wins)

2) combat tactics mini-game - you will give commands to your crew, enemy will give commands (he who is stronger AND smarter wins)

3) once we have avatars in game (they will be developed last) we will implement (maybe) last iteration - avatar based boarding. 

• Like 3

There will be 3 iterations of boarding due to current focus on only graphics, combat and optimization

1) simple brute force stat based boarding (he who is stronger and have more people wins)

2) combat tactics mini-game - you will give commands to your crew, enemy will give commands (he who is stronger AND smarter wins)

3) once we have avatars in game (they will be developed last) we will implement (maybe) last iteration - avatar based boarding. 

Excellent to hear thanks for the prompt reply. I understand you have lots of dev time to get things up and running so forgive my kid in a sweet shop mentality my eyes are wide O.O

I hear you have some dev's from S.T.A.L.K.E.R on board that makes me happy to know I loved the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series and still play CoP (with MISERY 2.1 beta mod) today ! I can imagine AVCOM STALKER style with 15th century weapons that would be brutal  :D

• 8 months later...

Well its pretty sad than developers not got in plans make our characters avatars. I know this game is mainly sea combat but...i think many of us - players would be more than happy to see actually own character in game. My question for devs: how you see this at the moment and why you choose to not put avatars into game?

• Like 1

as far i understood it will come very later since you have to do clothes and so on and a new control sheme then the habours you walk in.

it would be enough for me if i can walk around in a basic town without sword combat.

just walking the dock while your ship is docked on the pier will be great.

more is not needed imo no need to overcomplicate things.

as far i understood it will come very later since you have to do clothes and so on and a new control sheme then the habours you walk in.

it would be enough for me if i can walk around in a basic town without sword combat.

just walking the dock while your ship is docked on the pier will be great.

more is not needed imo no need to overcomplicate things.

It would be neat to expand to the ground game somewhat. Though I understand naval combat is the greatest priority.

I'm rather hoping for a deep RTS aspect implemented for the ground game so you can hire workers to build up the port, repair ships, press crew, and the moving of supplies and stuff. Also would make good use of the marines on board which can probably be used to attack or defend the forts that the developers have planned.

• Like 1

tbh Matt that for me is the very last thing I want the devs spending time on....this is "Naval Action", all of that supporting stuff, whilst an important aspect ought to be done IMO from the comfort of the Captain's Cabin and in a short space of time. I would also point you in the direction of Eve where it took them years to get to Avatars and Walking in Stations and only then because of Dust 514 coming along and wanting the tie in, or I doubt they would have done it at all.

Lets get some of the more basic and important stuff nailed down and working properly....if this all goes right we will all still be here in 5 years time, still making suggestion to the devs and that may just be the time to ask about Avatars wandering around the Taverns of Old Portsmouth pressing men into His Majesty's Service.

• Like 2

well maybe in 1 to 1 1/2 years we might see something like that even if it would only be in 1 Captial per Nation and only with limited space to walk around.

and when i think about how fast you are making new ships and in wich quality in therms of almost none-existing bugs i think that we will have in in a year 20-30 Ships in game.

It would be more easy if u can make all your desired buisness in port with single mouse click on kind of icon or pictures, without wasting time running around in avatar mode and looking wheres the door to entern tavern for a mug of beer or something. ...I wont miss avatars in game, simple game profile picture would work fine for me.

I would love to see Avatars in game at some point later on, perhaps not for combat necessarily, more for the functions mentioned above, but agree it should be restricted until we get the 'Naval' side of things down pat, which it looks like the devs are very well on their way to! 

I'd really just love to see how my character looks in a dashing Commander's uniform  :D

I would love to see Avatars in game at some point later on, perhaps not for combat necessarily, more for the functions mentioned above, but agree it should be restricted until we get the 'Naval' side of things down pat, which it looks like the devs are very well on their way to! 

I'd really just love to see how my character looks in a dashing Commander's uniform  :D

Thats what i was thinking about...but IF devs get time later and have good idea about how possibly avatar combat could look like that would be great ! Boarding was main aspect of sea combat until improvement of gunnery...