Game-Labs Forum
Henry d'Esterre Darby

*Official* Dead Mans Chest Event Feedback - Heavily Moderated

So, 2500 weight chests was an improvement, but the ports listed were very, very poor information. In the future try to pick a number of ports that players can use to triangulate a position with. If you want to make the game 'for intelligent players' then don't give information that will mislead intelligent players who try to make the most of the offered information.

Two hour build up for a 10 minute chest frenzy. :rolleyes:

I'll say it again -- rare BPs and custom paint jobs should benefit exceptional crafters (and I am not one). Why are they handed out to people who just happen to be bobbing around in the correct grid square on a Saturday afternoon?

The port of departure and the intended destination port should be given, with wrecks and crippled ships (that can shoot back) scattered along the route. No markers -- just departure and arrival ports and let the route be guessed. And hand out gold and silver an the odd upgrade mod -- figure out a way to get the BPs and paintjobs to the crafters, not the winners of a crappy rasce.

• Like 8

3rd event and still no BP's. Going spend yet another Saturday pissed that the devs can't get this event right until I get back in the mood to go have some fun battles.

4 chests and no BP's. Nothing but paint and a few mods. Purple mods at that. Out of our whole clan with 20+ chests and not one bp. Now more than 2 weeks on pvp2 with only the US having the ability to build L'Oceans. If the devs don't make this right then people will leave the game. Too much frustration into someting that's suppose to be fun.

I still think that spawning in the treasure slowly over the course of several hours would be the way to create PvP, also anyone carrying a chest should be flagged. Then it turns into a game of King of the Hill instead of a race to see who loots the chests first.

• Like 1

I had no problem at all to figure where the event will pop. We know it is far from land, so there was only the Aves area, or north of Codrington/ Island Harbour. I was 99% sure it would be near Aves, because all nations had equal chances to reach the wrecks at the same time.

I wen't on site on time, but couldn't loot because i was...AFK. So nothing more to had about it. It seems that all the wrecks were looted as fast as thoe other times, but at least with BP drop.

3H waiting, and end with couple fish - this is reward for most players. Devs not learn anything from last time. Most ppl get angry, and even worse, after 3 frustration in row many even not write in chat, only logof for good. Now this game is on short road to death. This ..... event ust end now, and all event items go to ppl fast by normal means, and don't try make big group  event now, make more PvE and PvP content for smal group, and avialble all time, not 1 day in week on 1 time. Now in this game is no place for most players - no content for casual play, make this content, not idiotic event who only make situation worse. 

I had the chance to loot 2 chests, but nothing crazy inside (paints...). At lease some improvement as been done (heavier chests, slow wreck spawn), but it seems to be insufficient.

Moreover, I still don't get where is the fun in those events. Looting precious BP is actually too crucial for RvR to think about anything else, like PvP.

I will not consider next event as a priority. (witch is a good news for other players !)

Edited by Pelennor

Guys are getting them on our server and no one sees them one. GG Devs on making them super rare and the guys who play the game get zero. 

Bottles should be dropping this loot, as they drop real rare, im avergaing a bottle every 3-4 days now. They should drop paint or blueprints, that way everyone has a chance who is playing. 

• Like 7

Here is a theory which I thought of last week when I saw a note popping up with Terre-de-Bas on it.

Admin wants everything to be as fair as possible. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aequitas

So if the game should pick a location near Terre-de-Bas that would be fair to the most players as possible, how would he have implemented it?

Maybe he would implement it the same way I would implement it?

Hmm, might actually make for a bit of more interesting mechanic, so half the average of the three closest free towns.

I'm sure now somebody will figure out the perfect spot to pop a bottle. :D

With the number of Free Ports being a variable or different constant.

So I looked at http://www.navalactioncraft.com/mapand only looked at the Free Ports.

Thus I thought, near 64.37 and 17.23. To test out this theory I thought of spreading the rumor.

[2016-Sep-01 14:19:22.172834] sruPL>Everyone send Strange Notes to Global please, thank you.

[2016-Sep-01 14:20:06.091346] sruPL>That is what Devs want to see

[2016-Sep-01 14:20:25.038429] sruPL>Devs wanna see PvP, it won't be PvP if you keep Strange Notes secret

[2016-Sep-01 14:21:25.454885] Sporkster>devs want pvp, people in the game want the rare items, that means the people will hoard, and the devs will need to find a different system

[2016-Sep-01 14:22:10.006433] Sournois>How much do you offer for informations? :3

[2016-Sep-01 14:22:17.961888] sruPL>I offer Indian Tea

[2016-Sep-01 14:22:22.876169] sruPL><color=[item:16826816]><color=#ffa500ff>Indian Tea</color></color>

[2016-Sep-01 14:24:00.773769] Skully>lets cut the crap 64.37 17.23

[2016-Sep-01 14:24:46.270371] Skully>bring it on, bring it hard (sic: smile)

[2016-Sep-01 14:24:52.746741] sruPL>to [skully] Hmm?

[2016-Sep-01 14:25:03.578361] Tenakha Kan>to [skully] in front of fort royal?

[2016-Sep-01 14:25:37.144281] Skully>yes would seem so

[2016-Sep-01 14:26:19.591709] sruPL>Probably Frenchies begged Devs for it, because of L'Ocean bp xD

[2016-Sep-02 14:11:11.242036] StewieSWS>guys, do you know that tommorrow at 9 pm UTC there will be an event in british waters?

[2016-Sep-02 14:11:12.594114] Elvismolotov>next time with better timing mate (sic: smile)

[2016-Sep-02 14:11:17.713407] Puchu>yes

[2016-Sep-02 14:11:36.452478] StewieSWS>neat George town

[2016-Sep-02 14:11:47.307099] StewieSWS>everybody sail there tommorrow!

[2016-Sep-02 14:12:28.985483] StewieSWS>(sic: big smile)

[2016-Sep-02 14:14:01.476773] balticsailor>to [stewieSWS] nice try, drawing everyone away from the gulf of mexico (sic: wink)

[2016-Sep-02 14:14:23.632040] StewieSWS>to [balticsailor] How do you know??

[2016-Sep-02 14:14:46.468347] Skully>64.37 17.23

[2016-Sep-02 14:15:00.421145] balticsailor>strange man wispered to me

[2016-Sep-02 14:15:09.484663] Olav Van Deng>Obviously the event is going to be at the barmuda

[2016-Sep-02 14:15:11.651787] Olav Van Deng>/s

[2016-Sep-02 14:15:27.195676] Skully>(sic: smile)

[2016-Sep-02 14:15:36.167189] balticsailor>or is it near florida?

[2016-Sep-02 14:15:39.193362] Skully>and a wipe straight after (sic: big smile)

[2016-Sep-02 14:15:42.001523] StewieSWS>i thought it's near french capital

[2016-Sep-02 14:15:59.300512] balticsailor>na can't be

[2016-Sep-02 14:16:11.248196] StewieSWS>bermudas then

[2016-Sep-03 16:09:32.451763] Skully>64.37 17.23

[2016-Sep-03 16:09:54.841043] Skully>I won't be there to verify though I'm afraid (sic: smile)

[2016-Sep-03 16:10:32.954223] Robert Skomakare>sooner or later there's gonna be enough BPs going around, the prices will go into a nosedive, and then i'll get one...maybe. can't sail it now anyway :D

[2016-Sep-03 16:11:38.619979] Airwolf666>nor can i, but i can always cap one one day, maybe

[2016-Sep-03 16:12:40.650527] Alado>I wts the coordinates where the event will be released today

[2016-Sep-03 16:14:03.373259] Skully>64.37 17.23 ah crap just devalued your offer... (sic: tongue out)

[2016-Sep-03 16:16:19.425040] Alado>no

[2016-Sep-03 16:16:38.376124] Skully>cool, so I can buy another set of random coords from you then (sic: smile)

[2016-Sep-03 16:17:10.719974] Alado>no random, are the true coords

[2016-Sep-03 16:17:31.672173] Skully>well then, just sell the loot you are going to bring in then (sic: smile)

Now I'm looking back at the first and second mega wrecks and come to same conclusion.

So let the fourth event come to pass and see if my theory still holds.

It would mean however that clues and riddles no longer have meaning or bearing.

In which case it might make sense to "unbalance" the event a bit more. :P

(too many smileys error, so I to make some adjustments ehr ... lol)

My feedback on my first event yesterday.

Log on and read in chat there is going to be an event. Great I think, gather the information and sail to the rough area (1 1/2 hours), wait for event to kick off ( 1 1/2 hours), event kicks off and sail to area (30 min), get to event area and sail around searching empty wrecks ( 1hour), get bored and frustrated, sail back home (1 hour).

All in all I like the idea of events but what's the point in an event if it is only leading in boredom and frustration? I thought the idea of taking part in events was to have a fun time and get some kind of reward not to sail around for hours search some wrecks and leave with nothing.

When I logged off yesterday I was bored, frustrated and thinking that was a complete waste of my time.

Possible solutions, as other people have been saying maybe have the crates spawn in over time or if you want to have a race type event why not have big crates with nice rewards for the first group of ships to get there and then lesser crates so that slower people at least get something for taking part.

I didn't bother with the event as it was pretty obvious to me that my prediction would be pretty close to the outcome.

I have an idea for the build up to the event that will get players to the event without just giving them a grid ref......

The concept would be that the departure port and time of departure, intended course and approximate speed of the treasure fleet  would be clearly identified.

Based on this, the current window of opportunity (Event timing) could be based on say 1 hours of gameplay travelling, meaning the event could take place between 15:30 hrs and 16:30 hrs, players could then depart from or near the departure point at around the treasure fleet departure time and sail the course looking for the treasure fleet (Waiting for the devs to spawn the event). Then when the event is spawned in, anyone who wanted to take part in the event should be relatively close to the event location.

I doubt much combat would take place during this travel time but the players would pretty quickly congregate around the actual shipwreck site and then the human nature of greed would prevail.

If the current event model was used this would create a blood bath, which is what the devs are after, however this would not be very fair on lower ranked players who can not crew the heavier ships.

So to take you back to my earlier post which had an alternate model for the event..and a much fairer system to all players who took part in the event.

You might wanna read this again to refresh the old grey matter and regrasp the concept.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/16108-official-dead-mans-chest-event-feedback-heavily-moderated/page-13#entry304291'>http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/16108-official-dead-mans-chest-event-feedback-heavily-moderated/page-13#entry304291

For those who cant be bothered to read the earlier post, In a nutshell

1. Each shipwreck is actually a Battle, so you enter like any other battle
  2. Each player is auto slotted to a side (Blue or red) and fly's the respective flag colour (Fleets are spawned on the same side) maybe 25 v 25 battles ?
  3. Access to the battle is based on the rate of the ship wreck in relation to the rate of the players ship (eg 5th rate shipwreck , 4th, 5th rates can enter or some other auto-balancing algorithm (See below for some options)
  4. Everyone gets some form of reward for getting involved with the battle/event
  5. Winning side gets the better loot
  6. Special prizes given to the players on each side who inflict the most damage
  7. Top prize given to the player on the winning side who inflicts the most damage (Not who sunk the most ships !)
  8. Special award also given to the player who's ship is the most damaged but was able to survive to the end of the battle
  9. Battle has a timer limit so it doesn't end up being a death match (randonly between 30 - 45 mins from start perhaps)
    1. (This may reduce battle spawn camping waiting for the event to finish)
  10. Battle entry timer is reasonable, say 15 minutes to allow enough players to join, battle doesn't start until this 15 minutes is up then battle is then locked so later comers cannot join
  11. Possibly respawn the battle an hour later so that players who didn't get much the 1st time can battle again later
    1. (Players who did get some decent loot during the initial battle would probably not hang around and would want to get back to port)
  12. Because the battle timer is limited (make sure the length of the battle is not a set time (randomly selected between 2 extremes) to prevent spawn camping

Further to my suggestion of

• RED forces (Identified by Red Flags)
  • BLUE Forces (Identfied by Blue flags)

as stated on the above link

Instead of auto-matching players regardless of their side, you could auto-match based on current alliances

But again, making sure the "rate" size of the ships allowed in to a specific shipwreck is based around the size of the ship that is wrecked

so you could have a mixture of

1. 2nd rate wreck (1st and 2nd rates can enter)
  2. 4th rate wreck (3rd and 4th rates can enter)
  3. 6nd rate wreck (5th rates and below can enter)

or you could just have a cap on the max strength of ship that can enter the battle

1. 1st rate wreck (any rate can enter)
  2. 2nd rate shipwreck (2nd rate or below) (Meaning 2,3,4,5,6,7 rates allowed)
  3. 3rd rate shipwreck (3rd rates or below can enter)
  4. etc. etc.

or you could just allows 1rate above to 1 rate below to enter the battle

1. 2nd rate wreck (1st, 2nd and 3rd rates can enter)
  2. 3rd rate shipwreck (2nd, 3rd, 4th rates can enter)
  3. 4th rate shipwreck (3rd, 4th and 5th rates can enter)
  4. etc. etc.
Edited by Terox

The only thing i like in this event is the letters with clues.

I can see 2 type of versions of this event:

What i would do is to send letters to a nation's players about chests to take at an allied town far from the capital at a certain hour a certain day. Multiple chests (or a defined number told in the letters) are in this town, each 2500 weight. Mission is to carry them to your capital. All the others nations can get mysterious letters about rumour about chests in certain town or about the destination like the actual event letters so ennemies can try to intercept the chests. Chests appear in the town at the specific hour for  a small time and can only be seen by the targeted nation's players, they have a certain time to bring the chests to their capital.

The second version would be to send letters about deadman's chest somewhere on the map. The deadman's chest spawn either on land  or in an uncharted island/sandbank. To get them you need to stop and send some men in expedition where the event is, leaving you vulnerable and in need for cover. If you manage to take one chest, you have a flag on your ship until you reach a port where you can open the chest. (more like a sealed bottle event with no clear indication of location and with no auto-rewards as you need to carry your loot to the nearest port to open it while marked as a target.)

• Like 1

So its NO Agamemnon again .... great, we have short 2 month for full wipe , and cant play with :(

I got one crafted. Surprise on steroids.

We can only hope event drops spread over 12 hours to allow all timezones access to event.

Guys are getting them on our server and no one sees them one. GG Devs on making them super rare and the guys who play the game get zero. 

Bottles should be dropping this loot, as they drop real rare, im avergaing a bottle every 3-4 days now. They should drop paint or blueprints, that way everyone has a chance who is playing. 

I really think it's rare players or guys from PvP2 that pop in to get them with alts and than they sit on them.  Cause if the rumors are right each event was suppose to drop 4 Blue Prints of each of the ships.  This last event we haven't heard any one that got a BP other than the gunboat.  So we don't even know if some one got them or they just hiding the fact they did.

So its NO Agamemmnon again .... great, we have short 2 month for full wipe , and cant play with :(

I know on the first two event we know that the US got them with Denmark I believe.  The US got the Rattlers and L'Ocean.   Not sure if any other nation has these BP's yet as the US is the only one we have seen with all three BPs' on the server.  The Pirates gotten a few ships thorugh deallings or just plan capture of them in fights.   We been breaking down every captured ship for the BP and nothing yet from them.  Hell we might not even be able to get the BP's through break down.  Though we did get a copy of the Gunboat this way.  Took the guy a good number of them before the BP dropped.

As som eon else said RvR ships should not be given out this way.  They need to drop from other means like the rare seal bottles or something.   So this gives active players more of a means to get them.  The paint jobs should prob drop this way too until they are craft able. I think if you get a paint job it should unlock a BP for you to be able to craft that paint job.

BP's for L'Ocean, Heavy Rattle and Agamemmnon is not obtainable through breaking them up. Admin stated this in another post.

BP's for L'Ocean, Heavy Rattle and Agamemmnon is not obtainable through breaking them up. Admin stated this in another post.

what a load of crap!  Why cant I learn the blueprint from breaking down ships?

I have gone through the trouble of boarding and capping 2 heavy rattlesnakes so I can break them down with the chance of learning the blueprint.  These ships are already rare and its total BS that I cant learn these blueprints from breaking down these ships. 

I want to be able to craft the L'Ocean and the heavy rattlesnake without doing your horrible PvE events.

I am on a PvP server, I want PvP events, not PvE events with a sprinkle of PvP if someone decides to attack someone they think has a chest. 

• Like 1

The event is just frustrating for me, I have real life commitments that stop me from being online during the times the wrecks drop. It saddens me because I really wish to play with Agamemnon, I would really like the blueprint so I can craft it for myself. The idea that it is so rare doesn't make me feel happier about the ship. It just makes it feel out of reach and that it should be something that is available towards anyone.

The scarcity of the event just frustrates me. I don't want to have to waste an afternoon of my life that I can't really commit to despite it being something I id really like to achieve for myself. To me its a lose lose situation, commit the time and get frustrated or don't commit the time and go forever wanting a ship you cannot have.

There could be some major improvements to the whole event. Preferably to do with the time it actually spawns.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by Fluffy Fishy
  • Like 4

1) Has it been considered to simply let EACH of the Wreck ships actually SINK, after the last chest has been removed from it? (Like sealed bottle wrecks.)

At least this might deter, or even reduce the amount of wasted time, for late comers to go from one shipwreck to another, only to find that every wreck has the "Wreck Empty" tag on it.

2) additionally, can a color (ie, Red, Blue, Orange, Black ..etc...)  be attested to the Map icon to indicate that the event is OVER (All chests found) - instead of the constant white symbol?

- at least then folks would know that there are no longer chests available - and those enroute could alter their course accordingly.

3) Just for the sake of confirmation - The # of ship wrecks is 8, correct? with 16 Chests in each? or is that number wrong?  Wasn't the first event closer to 250 Chests?

Is there any way to increase the number of wrecks/chests by 50%? Say - 12 wrecks, instead of 8?  and, and in doing so, up to 192-200 chests?

- I can only vouch for the PVE server, but at the event time (or 30 minutes prior to) the population jumps up to around 200+. Which means at present availability, that out of 128 chests --- and the fact that now most of the players are sporting Indiamans, (Some commanded by midshipman, thiefs, etc...) that most chests are gone after the arrival of the FIRST 64 players.

I do like the event ... it brings an uncertainty ... and a bit of "whats in it?"/mystique -- to the normal parameters of the game. Just would like to see more folks able to  benefit from it. Even if that meant capping the # of chests a player could get, to a max of 2 - I would be good with that.

Cheers!

-Yank

Edited by yankyaeger
  • Like 3

If sunken chests respawn inside the wrecks, or if chests spawn over time, then removing the wrecks prematurely isn't a good option.

The event is just frustrating for me, I have real life commitments that stop me from being online during the times the wrecks drop. It saddens me because I really wish to play with Agamemnon, I would really like the blueprint so I can craft it for myself. The idea that it is so rare doesn't make me feel happier about the ship. It just makes it feel out of reach and that it should be something that is available towards anyone.

The scarcity of the event just frustrates me. I don't want to have to waste an afternoon of my life that I can't really commit to despite it being something I id really like to achieve for myself. To me its a lose lose situation, commit the time and get frustrated or don't commit the time and go forever wanting a ship you cannot have.

There could be some major improvements to the whole event. Preferably to do with the time it actually spawns.

Hope this helps :)

I don't mind, and actually want some of the blueprints to be rare, but I believe the best solution is to let people who manage to capture a players ship who is piloting these rare ships have a chance to get the blueprint from breaking down the ship. 

The chances of getting the blueprint from breaking down a normal non-rare ship is already pretty low. 

• Like 1

If sunken chests respawn inside the wrecks, or if chests spawn over time, then removing the wrecks prematurely isn't a good option.

But they are NOT respawning over time ... they are gone in 25 minutes. and if the chests are respawning after each chest is taken, then once the magical Number of chests for that boat is reached .. let it sink. It seems to work fine for the indicator to come on about "Wreck Empty" .. so why not simply at that point, let it return to Davy Jones' locker?

Or was the "respawning over time" a suggestion I missed? I am just seeing all chests gone in the first 20-25 minutes of event start. Then the inevitable endless questions throughout the day "Hey!, what is this last known location of lost fleet icon"? --- constantly.