Game-Labs Forum

Let the people chose their language forums moderators at least. That's something very easy to do and I think it's very easy. 

Let people step up and then a simple poll in which all the users in that forum can vote for their candidate.

First of all, bad opinions of the game are NEVER hidden.  Ever.  People who are jerks are sometimes hidden, but people are highly critical of the game and features on these forums every day, and to claim that criticism of the game or its features are hidden is completely unfounded.

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that. What I meant is that not because something is not polite means it has to be ignored, even in the worst post there is some truth.

Let the people chose their language forums moderators at least. That's something very easy to do and I think it's very easy. 

Let people step up and then a simple poll in which all the users in that forum can vote for their candidate.

And what was so hard about just saying that? why did you feel the need to have a go at Henry?

I don't think that request is too far fetched, yet if you pack it with hostility i hope you understand that im less inclined to fight for your idea.

Ok, this is something i don't understand though. There is a lot of hostility towards a moderator whom tries here to explain his motives and wants feedback on our moderating as a whole.

Instead of utilizing that, you just blur out a statement that is lacking of sense as much as it is rude.

Well, not against him, against those moderators that abuse of their power to interpret rules in their favor or whenever they feel, against that "admin abuse" that we have seen again and again. I'm pissed off and I might went too far with him, Henry, forgive me. Edited by CeltiberoCaesar

Moderating is not a popularity contest.  It is not something that you give to someone who can have their clan vote for them.  The job requires good behavior, the ability to coordinate and communicate with others, the ability to keep secrets, etc.  Most of all, it requires that the person can, effectively, behave in a manner that positively reflects upon Game Labs as a company.  "Voting" doesn't provide a review process for this.

There are currently two active Spanish Language moderators.  One of whom has been doing most of the moderating in your forums lately (it hasn't been me for the most part, despite your accusations).  Perhaps if those utilizing the Spanish forums were more respectful of their fellow Spanish speakers, we wouldn't be seeing reported posts for rules violations coming out of your forums.

First of all, bad opinions of the game are NEVER hidden.  Ever.  People who are jerks are sometimes hidden, but people are highly critical of the game and features on these forums every day, and to claim that criticism of the game or its features are hidden is completely unfounded.

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that. What I meant is that not because something is not polite means it has to be ignored, even in the worst post there is some truth.

I develop business related software for a living.  I've been doing it for nearly 20 years.  We're all human.  The difference between a customer getting in my face and yelling "that was a horrible feature, what were you thinking you stupid f***" (and yes, I've gladly hidden posts that were WORSE than that) and someone saying "hey, when you changed that feature, it really messed up a way I used your software" is immense.  The first guy likely won't get anything out of me.  I'm going to sit in my office and rage for a minute or three, and then ignore everything he just said because the way he said it angered me to the point that I couldn't give a rat's ass what his problem is.  Given it happening enough times, I'm going to go work elsewhere - there's tons of great software jobs out there, and not enough qualified people to fill them.  The devs aren't required to work on the game.  They can walk off and find gainful, profitable employment anywhere, any time, without losing a minute of sleep (hell, they might get MORE sleep not having to work so much overtime).  

The developers are human.  They work hard, long hours on the game.  There is NOTHING on this planet worse, as a manager, than when someone starts saying rude things to my team, who are already emotionally messed up from spending nights and weekends pounding out the code to make the product work.  I personally have refused to pick up the phone over the weekend at a job or two when people outside our department effectively broke my morale by being rude jerks to me.  I was never even sanctioned for it, because I had managers that understood my value to the company, understood that I'd been putting in 20-30 hours a week or more of overtime over months to get the feature put out in time, and understood that their choice was to either let me quit (I had a box packed up on my desk, ready to go, before leaving the office that weekend) or to tell the jerk to take a hike.

If you don't like something in the game, you can come here and state it without being rude, without insulting the people that are working very hard on the game.  I will happily hide such posts, every time, because I care about the game and I care about the development staff.  Further, Admin cares very much about his people, and he's going to yell at me if he feels we're letting people abuse the developers that are working so hard for him.

The folks that work on this game do it because they LOVE the idea of this game.  Users who are abusive to them damage that love.  Damage the love enough, and it becomes hatred, and the game is static, left to die on the vine.  We can ALL treat each other with respect and dignity here.  Paying someone some money doesn't give you license to abuse them or treat them poorly.  The maid cleaning your hotel room deserves just as much (if not MORE) respect than your boss, co workers, mother, or even the people you run into on the street.

Edit - When I say "You", I'm not saying "you Caesar" or anyone in particular.  I'm simply addressing the reader of the post, whomever it may be.

Edited by Henry d'Esterre Darby
  • Like 9

Well, not against him, against those moderators that abuse of their power to interpretable rules in their favor or whenever they feel, against that "admin abuse" that we have seen again and again. I'm pissed off and I might went too far with him, Henry, forgive me. 

There's nothing to forgive.  I'm not here to hold a grudge or to screw people over, I'm here because I love Naval Action and I can provide some help to the Development staff by letting them focus more on the game than on keeping the forums civil, on topic, and under control.

• Like 2

Moderating is not a popularity contest.  It is not something that you give to someone who can have their clan vote for them.  The job requires good behavior, the ability to coordinate and communicate with others, the ability to keep secrets, etc.  Most of all, it requires that the person can, effectively, behave in a manner that positively reflects upon Game Labs as a company.  "Voting" doesn't provide a review process for this.

There are currently two active Spanish Language moderators.  One of whom has been doing most of the moderating in your forums lately (it hasn't been me for the most part, despite your accusations).  Perhaps if those utilizing the Spanish forums were more respectful of their fellow Spanish speakers, we wouldn't be seeing reported posts for rules violations coming out of your forums.

I develop business related software for a living.  I've been doing it for nearly 20 years.  We're all human.  The difference between a customer getting in my face and yelling "that was a horrible feature, what were you thinking you stupid f***" (and yes, I've gladly hidden posts that were WORSE than that) and someone saying "hey, when you changed that feature, it really messed up a way I used your software" is immense.  The first guy likely won't get anything out of me.  I'm going to sit in my office and rage for a minute or three, and then ignore everything he just said because the way he said it angered me to the point that I couldn't give a rat's ass what his problem is.  Given it happening enough times, I'm going to go work elsewhere - there's tons of great software jobs out there, and not enough qualified people to fill them.  The devs aren't required to work on the game.  They can walk off and find gainful, profitable employment anywhere, any time, without losing a minute of sleep (hell, they might get MORE sleep not having to work so much overtime).  

The developers are human.  They work hard, long hours on the game.  There is NOTHING on this planet worse, as a manager, than when someone starts saying rude things to my team, who are already emotionally messed up from spending nights and weekends pounding out the code to make the product work.  I personally have refused to pick up the phone over the weekend at a job or two when people outside our department effectively broke my morale by being rude jerks to me.  I was never even sanctioned for it, because I had managers that understood my value to the company, understood that I'd been putting in 20-30 hours a week or more of overtime over months to get the feature put out in time, and understood that their choice was to either let me quit (I had a box packed up on my desk, ready to go, before leaving the office that weekend) or to tell the jerk to take a hike.

If you don't like something in the game, you can come here and state it without being rude, without insulting the people that are working very hard on the game.  I will happily hide such posts, every time, because I care about the game and I care about the development staff.  Further, Admin cares very much about his people, and he's going to yell at me if he feels we're letting people abuse the developers that are working so hard for him.

The folks that work on this game do it because they LOVE the idea of this game.  Users who are abusive to them damage that love.  Damage the love enough, and it becomes hatred, and the game is static, left to die on the vine.  We can ALL treat each other with respect and dignity here.  Paying someone some money doesn't give you license to abuse them or treat them poorly.  The maid cleaning your hotel room deserves just as much (if not MORE) respect than your boss, co workers, mother, or even the people you run into on the street.

Thats something we all know, a polite post is always welcomed while a rude one make us rage... but that's moving from what I said. I have developed a game like them, I have had to give the community support by my self without any "volunteer" and I know how all that feel... and we never stopped reading all the posts because even those rude post has something to add to the game. It was intended to be a constructive opinion about "not ignoring those post because they can be pointing out things to improve about your game". Just that.

Edited by CeltiberoCaesar

I had a post removed in which I wrote to a fellow Spanish player that the word "Grave" in Spanish is written with V instead of B. 

I don't know if that post was deleted by you or not, but I think it shouldn't have been deleted. 

And to be honest, you are very quick locking certain posts in this forum and I guess you know what I mean......

That was not me, that was a native Spanish speaker.

The posts in question involved a multi-page trolling of the original poster.  It's possible your post got caught up in removing the insults and other repeatedly negative statements being made about that OP - it seemed to be rising to the level of bullying in my opinion.

"Posted Today, 04:57 PM

*Eliminado por comentarios sobre moderacion*

Edited by Eishen, Today, 07:41 PM. 
Los mensajes han sido eliminados por offtopic e insultantes"

So, I can't post if I agree with what the moderator did or not?

Why? 

You know Spanish so I guess you don't need translation.

Edited by _Alucard_

Discussing moderation that has occurred inside of a topic has always been forbidden.  At the very least, it's completely off topic and derails the entire thread.

If you'd like to find out why something was removed, you can either PM the moderator removing it directly, or PM another moderator to ask why.  Asking why in the middle of someone else's thread is rude and distracts from the purpose of the thread.  :)

So shocked... call it like it is... get a warning and my post deleted.  just more reason to stay off these forums.  abusive moderators that can not handle the truth.  have fun with yourselves.  soon there will be no one left on these forums at this rate.

now what rule am I violating....

Edited by randommexi
  • Like 1

So shocked... call it like it is... get a warning and my post deleted.  just more reason to stay off these forums.  abusive moderators that can not handle the truth.  have fun with yourselves.  soon there will be no one left on these forums at this rate.

Everyone can post their feedback and opinions there. However, calling the moderators a bunch of Nazi's is just a clear lack of respect and plain profanity.

Therefore in violation of rule 1 & 5.

Hence why your post got removed and a warning was issued.

So shocked... call it like it is... get a warning and my post deleted.  just more reason to stay off these forums.

Call the moderators nazis, get warned, call them nazis again?

If it's best to stay off the forums, I'm sure a ban could be arranged. If you ask nicely.

• Like 1

I am going to raise a question i hope is OK here:

I on occasion have (I think) posted a post and a day or so later come back and I can't even find the thread by using my history. When this happens I am left wondering "WTF did I really post there or was I on another forum?" ---- would it be at all possible to leave a place marker so we at least can see "oh, that thread got clipped and is on the cutting room floor"?

As an aside: I think Henry gave me my warning point - but it was well earned and I earned it not someone else, Henry (or whoever) was just doing a thankless job, er thanks.

Some of us have our moderator tags here and in game.  Some in one, and some in the other.  It's just based on where people would like to contribute.

The only difference is in where we have moderation abilities and what those abilities are.  Since we're in communication behind the scenes, it's pretty easy for us to point out something that needs attention.

I am going to raise a question i hope is OK here:

I on occasion have (I think) posted a post and a day or so later come back and I can't even find the thread by using my history. When this happens I am left wondering "WTF did I really post there or was I on another forum?" ---- would it be at all possible to leave a place marker so we at least can see "oh, that thread got clipped and is on the cutting room floor"?

As an aside: I think Henry gave me my warning point - but it was well earned and I earned it not someone else, Henry (or whoever) was just doing a thankless job, er thanks.

Your question is perfectly ok, thanks for asking it.  Your statement leads me to believe that you'd rather see the post edited to remove the offending content (e.g. ***Please treat your fellow Captains with respect. - H. Darby***) rather than just hidden.  Is that correct?

Your question is perfectly ok, thanks for asking it.  Your statement leads me to believe that you'd rather see the post edited to remove the offending content (e.g. ***Please treat your fellow Captains with respect. - H. Darby***) rather than just hidden.  Is that correct?

Yea, I prefer that, it lets an offending captain know what part is over the line and which line. Also the rest of us aren't left wondering what ever happened to that thread.

• Like 1

I agree with a lot of you they shouldn't have the power to such things like magnums post that is a clear sign of moderator problems i say hang the rules and cage there power give some of it to the people who populate the forum or is that too much for there ego to handle.

All of the moderators are members of the forums. Without being a member of the forum it is impossible to be a forum moderator.

Me for example i believe i had approaching 1000 posts and made(well at least started) the wiki before i was approached. My point is, we are players and forum goers just like you guys. We are just like you guys with just a "little" extra work attatched.

What are you even talking about?  These are Game Labs private forums, not a US government controlled/funded property.  There are no free speech rights on private property - these forums.  The owner of the property can ask that you stop or be removed at any time.

If you want to use the forums, you have to agree to follow the rules.

People never read forum rules and EULA of things.   Oh and last I check the 1st Admid doesn't mean crap when it's dealing with a company from another country and well this is like many have said a private forum with there own rules.

• Like 2

I'd prefer if moderators didn't have clan/unit signatures.

I know, I know, moderators are players too and all that, but it just reeks of bias. Though probably unfounded, it does have that air about it.....

• Like 2