Game-Labs Forum

Testing Studding Sails and Extra Staysails

It's quite hard to determine how exactly two in game modules Studding Sails and Extra Staysails effect speed of the ship.
I took out Bellona and tested both of these modules, results you can see on the video.

It would be interesting to see what effects these mods have on other ships, but mods are permanent and non-craftable.
Does anyone know how to find out exact degrees of the ship direction in battle besides inaccurate 15 degree increments?

Thanks Aphilas for help to translate from Russian to English.
====

В игре есть два модуля Studding Sails и Extra Staysails, но как они влияют на скорость трудно представить. Я взял Bellona и протестировал два этих модуля.

Было бы интересно посмотреть работу этих модулей на других кораблях, но модули перманентные да и еще не крафтятся.

Может кто-нибудь подскажет как точно узнать направление движения корабля в игре?
  • Like 27

It's very intresting.

I ready to test, but haven't modules. :(

Don't understand why ship with Extra Staysails is slower than without it in upwind (close hauled).

for me it looks like that the angle isnt always the same. So thats why you got some strange results.

But overall you can see:

Staysails = faster upwind

Studding sails = faster downwind + penalty upwind

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 1

Don't understand why ship with Extra Staysails is slower than without it in upwind (close hauled).

theoretically the flow of wind between the main sails is obstructed more (less wing effect) if you have more staysails. 

so could be explained by a lot less power to main sails but not enough bonus to push from staysails.

Really cool test....  one would however notice that studding sails would normally be taken down when close hauling and thus a ship should not have a speed debuff versus the base case.  As an upgrade, this one should not turn into a penalty.  Granted, it would take time to take down the yards and studding sails, so the speed debuff should be in effect for a transition time.

• Like 2

theoretically the flow of wind between the main sails is obstructed more (less wing effect) if you have more staysails. 

so could be explained by a lot less power to main sails but not enough bonus to push from staysails.

imho

If it's true then description of extra staysails module must have string "MAST_PHYSICS_MAIN_SAIL_FORCE_BONUS" with negative value.

gallery_14089_333_8924.jpg

Really cool test....  one would however notice that studding sails would normally be taken down when close hauling and thus a ship should not have a speed debuff versus the base case.  As an upgrade, this one should not turn into a penalty.  Granted, it would take time to take down the yards and studding sails, so the speed debuff should be in effect for a transition time.

Upgrades and perks are generally a big realism blindspot in this game, for better or for worse.

i think the gain of speed is to little (0.1 knots for all that extra sail) 

but that s just my opinion

1.5 knots would preferable for a full upgrade

That would be wowowowow hang yer mules son.... given we can already pump raiders flying over 16 knots at best wind and 11 at not so good wind... which is very much the result of stacking every single piece of gear and perks.

So with 1.5 on top... lololol

• Like 1

While I can understand studding sails would obstruct the flow to the staysails, I doubt the opposite is true for extra staysails. In the downwind courses where mainsails matter, the staysails whould hang limp anyway.

• Like 2

And there is one ship wich completely profits from studding sails:

the Santisima. Its stay- and jibsails are so worthless, you wont even feel the penalty for the force applied to them. Studding sails even help you tack a bit faster in a square rigger. :)

My usual testing without tedious spreadsheets:

optimal point of sail until max speed is reached - depower

beam reach until above - depower

If the speed loss is considerable on both points - staysails.

if not - studding sails.

Whats considerable or not, is for you to decide. Keep in mind, the effects apply in percent to ONE sail type only, you wont get barebones 10% more speed out of it. On beam reach your square sails still provide a considerable amount of propulsion.

• Like 1

Very interesting.  At least it explains why it is 10% and not 2.5%.

Maybe the description is not clear enough.  It is like a direct variable for the physics engine, hard for players to understand what they actually get from it.

In one way I like that it is vague, but maybe a bit too vague.  It is like, build 4 ships with the same stats, and test what are the benefits.  Then make the decision if you like or not.

Wiki should have 4 different sailing profiles, just to explain each upgrade.

What happens if you run both extra staysails and extra studding sails on your ship?

Your crew get arm ache pulling on all the extra lines, and are unable to make and hold a cup of Tea, there for, it is in fact a real nerf for the British Navy as the crew all work at 25% as no Tea to boost them, i call for a Tea Perk where a char lady comes round giving a good fresh cuppa to all the lads pulling on those extra ropes...! :)

Great vid thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just wondering why stay sails and studding sails need to be static as they are (either you do have the upgrade or you don't). It should be possible to raise/lower these sails as you like with any key. Stay sails shouldn't give a penalty downwind because you could just simply drop them. That would be more accurate in my opinion.

I'm just wondering why stay sails and studding sails need to be static as they are (either you do have the upgrade or you don't). It should be possible to raise/lower these sails as you like with any key. Stay sails shouldn't give a penalty downwind because you could just simply drop them. That would be more accurate in my opinion.

You can drop them staysails, it is called depowering. The problem is, that the spritsail will be depowered, too (what does not make sense to me because it isnt moving nor doing the same thing as a staysail). 

An additional studding sails reef button would be neat, tho.

Or even a take down square clothes upwind (per mast).

Edited by Tyrdael