6. 7. Mast damage

• too low
    • just right
    • Too high
  7. 8. Raking (cannon loss + crew loss)

• Underpowered
    • Just right
    • Too strong

That is the reason why I suggested the one circle battle solution that is open for at least 15 minutes with BR balance Attacker 1.0 : Defender 1.3. It helps to avoid 6 vs 1 gank. You can organise your fellows to enter a pvp battle. Blanace helps to keep the battle almost equal and only a small risk for attacker. Currently If we try to attack players in enemy area we will get a lot of NPC. And NPC battle are absolutely not interesting for most of us. We should find a solution to create balanced open sea pvp battle where we can use our tactic skill and we also need a possibility to organize our available close players. That is the one circle solution, 15 minutes and BR balance. I am sure we will get proper pvp fights according to these changes. 

Sure, it is your view on it.

I don't mind taking on the players. And it would be a good 1v2. I like those and the present RoE gives much more of those than before as i've been experiencing it.

The bots however ( player fleets ) did unbalance things.

Mind you, and all, despite wearing a custom made #nofleets t-shirt I also understand their usefulness to the playerbase base on median time/proficiency.

We may think of way to fine tune them.

I shall repeat, I have no issues with the present RoE, for me it is the best compromise yet without benefit to any of the combatants and squadrons must sail tight if they want to spawn together, so nor more flying taggers and magical spawns.

Dear Devs,

The combat itself right now is just plain amazing!!!! 

Talking from a 1vs1 standpoint here, its near perfect!
Every approach, going for hull, for masts, for sail for crew, is viable. Doubleshot and doublecharge have a good place.
Carronades are devastating in close combat as they should be, but worthless in long range combat, just how it should be. 
Sterntanking and bowtanking are completely gone!
Angling is more important than ever.
Maneuverability is king, crewloss matters, gunloss matters, im loving it!
All ammo types have their place and their situation where you want to use them.

Good job! 

PS: Brace is fine, i expected it to be horrible, but it actually is fine. Even with brace on, you dont really want to sterntank, you will still loose a lot of crew and cannons and rudder. 

You see me very happy! 

PPS: (Groupfights still have issues with boucy bellpoules and carronadehugging "strategies" but we will find a way to sort that out.)

Thanks so much for the range increase on the duel room!!! (now only remoove the repair kit cost ;) )

Edited by Puchu

I like the actual combat a lot too. But that bots that player can bring to battle is a real pain. A player attacking in a warships would be imposible to bring bots in. Over all things when the other player have inferior ships and sail alone.

8 hours ago, Puchu said:

PPS: (Groupfights still have issues with boucy bellpoules and carronadehugging "strategies" but we will find a way to sort that out.)

I agree with you entirely that the combat model is in very good shape.  I also agree, however, that the above is a concern and is related to two minor problems in the model:

1. Incorrect conception of carronades that devalues heavy long guns.  See Lieste's many posts on this subject.

2. Exaggerated penetration model and inflated hull / mast thicknesses, especially 5th-6th rate hulls.

-penetration model gives relative thickness protection that exceeds straight line calculation of relative thickness.

-no partial penetrations leads to all or nothing results for integrity damage and bounces at absurd angles (e.g.bouncing almost straight back toward the firing ship).  Only all or nothing should be crew / gun damage behind the hull.  Richochets should be reserved for low-angle deflections, or shots that contact with energy "spent" at angles closer to normal.

-lighter long guns are almost completely non viable in combat as they deflect even from bulwarks.

Well, for 1vs1 combat the system is amazing atm and many of the factors you describe dont come into play in even duels.
(I personally think im too bad to properly beat lo strong hull ships with teak ships, but its definitely possible, although they seem very strong.)

But for group fights it seems like there is an issue with the feeling of equality and actual equality. 

Some of it imo is just a simple br issue, e.g. in the Small Battles, it currently is hard to judge if a fight is "even" or not. It was allways harder than ppl thought, but it seems it has become even harder now. 
If we look at some fight examples, this might become clear.

1vs1 connie vs bp: at long range the connie will win because it can just demast and kill the bp. easy fight for the connie
1vs1 connie vs bp: at short range the bp will just get and stay on the connies ass forever and the connie will just die (mostly bp's will run carronades imo) 
so in a 1vs1 situation this fight is totally fine.

But if you look at a groupfight 2vs1 it is alrdy hard for the connie to slow down 1 smaller ship enough to not get any of them on her ass, because, well we know that once someone is on her ass she just dies. 

if we scale the fight up, 2 connies vs 4 belle poules... the connies will get wrecked, since there is no way they can prevent all 4 of them from getting on their sterns. 

The point is, that in larger fights the side with more players and with the more maneuverable ships is strongly favored to win, whereas in 1vs1 situations it might be entirely different. Again im not complaining about the mechanics themselves, although i think even a slight numerical advantage is more significant now than it was ever before, im just saying that what people and br thinks are "even fights" mostly are not and need to be reevaluated. 

Many people claim to only fight "even fights" but fighting with a numerical advantage no matter how small it is, and no matter if your ships are lower br, is nowhere near an even fight. Same goes for the perception that smaller ships are inferior. Due to the new crew damage model smaller, more maneuverable ships have become way stronger in comparison to their former state. Especially once you reach a quantity of them where they cannot all be slowed down enough. 

Basically +1 player in a fight is alrdy a massive massive advantage and smaller ships are not necessarily inferior to bigger ships. The 2nd is a really good thing imo, the 1st... well ... we know that issue and it will never get solved, its just part of the game and human nature, but we really really need to reevaluate our own perception of "equal fights" (and some br needs to be adjusted if it's to be a balance factor.)

(I dont think lighter guns are non viable. In a small ship all you need to do is survive utill you get on someones ass. If you manage to do that you repair and you are golden. The lighter guns can shoot massive amounts of chain and on the sternrake they dont care about the bouncing, i think lighter long guns are totally fine.) 

pps: I forgot: #Noaifleets but i will add "above cerberus rank" because i think they are fine for noobs. Once you get to the surprise a captain should be able to handle himself. The Ai ships you get dont add anything to the combat, they wont make it more interesting, since for pvp players, beating ai is not even worth the time spent. I will come up with another suggestion for the AI fleets: I really dont know why the Ai is there, but if it is there to prevent ganks, why doesnt the game calculate br and equalize it with the AI fleet? That way if you get attacked by 1 player, you will get a 1vs1. If you get attacked by 3 player ships, you will get 2 fleet ships. That way the AI would be "potential reinforcements" and not just default running helpers. They would help someone if he gets ganked but they would not interfere with even fights. (And there once was the idea of putting captains on defense duty, so they could take command of the ai ships. Thaaaat feature would be amazing! Prioritize group members, clan members and then the rest of the nation. You could sign up for defence duty and if someone with an ai fleet gets attacked, you get a message: "[OCEAN]Ellis is being attacked and asking for your help. Do you want to take command of his "Trincomalee" Yes - No" If noone is on defence duty you get ai, if someone takes your offer, you will immediately take command of the ship the player has brought into his fleet and will join your friend in battle. Crewloss and such ofc will be payed by the initial ship and crew owner, in this case Ellis. ;) )

Edited by Puchu

Dismasting is too easy at the moment. Yesterday I needed not a full broadside of my frigates longs to kill the foremast of a brig. Either the masts are too easy to hit, not strong enough or the dismasting damage model should be reworked (e.g. taking shrouds and stays into account).

1 hour ago, Hodo said:

The foremast on a brig is pretty weak, but I think it has the the same hp as the bow of the ship.  The armor (thickness) of the foremast is less than the main mast on any ship.  So yeah it is easy to take the mast off of a brig with a 18lb frigate.  Seeing as that ship can almost sink a brig in 2 passes.

and not to mention the two ships he's talking about.  Your talking about a light ship and a frigate.  I would hope it would be easy to demast one or even sink.   I really havne't seen much problems with demasting it's all the dang idiots that shoot nothing more than sail shot that is annoying.    They shoot it at you sails, your broad side, your water line, air. They shoot it at every thing while you blow there broad side out and than wonder why they sink and think we are OP.  Well while your shooting my sail I'm putting leaks into your water line.  I can fix those sails later, you can't fix those leaks once you sink.

I think combat start to become close to finished, apart from recent masts changes, the combat seems to be close to finalised.

I've been advocating for crew morale and rigging damages but i can understand that it would add more problem than what it could solve at this stage of développement.

What i can imagine as last tuning to combat mechanics is to greatly reduce chain shots accuracy/range and maybe limit the number of chain shots per battle the same way you do for the perkshot (i don't ask you to make chain shots a perk) In exchange, sails damages should be also linked to the sails manoeuvering speed (raising sails/turning masts) and to mast hp. And maybe battles sails could grant a little bit more protection from shots to the sails

This is to emulate the damages to the riggings, a ships who took enought chain-shots to the sails to be reduced to 20-40% have a great chance to suffer a lot of damages to the riggings, weakening the masts and reducing the possibility to manoeuver. Right now manoeuvering is only affected by crew loss, my suggestion could rebalance this.

About the crew, i've read somewhere that hull hp bar is to emulate a combination of damages to the structure and crew morale (in a way). I can live with that but what cause me a problem is that this force sinkings even without leaks to force the victor/looser scheme if the one who loose choose to fight till the end. In exchange, and because now we have to pay for crew, i think after each battle, a % a crew loss should return for free, like a kind of doctor perk for all situations (less crew saved if battle lost and ship sunk, more if you surrender or survive and your team win) to emulate crew rescued, recovering morale or from injuries. The doctor perk giving just a small bonus on top of it if the ship don't sink.

Hull can be actively defended by sailing well.

Mast damage, not that much.  Sail damage, not that much.  Grape damage, not that much.  Rake damage (crew, cannons), not that much especially if you are in a bigger ship.

I like skill based games to be honest.  The game has this kind of 1 trick pony "tactics".  For example purely and just focus to take out masts or rake.  I do not like this to be honest.

Masts, sails, crew(grape/rake) -> Should be balanced so that those are in line with Hull damage.

edit.

Hull could have slightly less HP.

It is probably possible to stack a bit too much stiffness atm.

Edited by Cmdr RideZ

Stiffness will probably be changed with the shipbuilding/perk/upgrades redux.

Hull, i've not tested yet but i understand that's what they try to achieve with the tested structure healthbar, making hull damages potentially more damaging and viable.

I am not sure if I am playing the same game with everyone else...

Demasting is extremely fast on live :(  Like ridiculously fast.

If someone thinks that demasting is about skill, please give me a break.  It is way too easy to hit those masts.

Devs, seriously, fix this already.

On 2017-05-03 at 1:28 AM, Cmdr RideZ said:

I am not sure if I am playing the same game with everyone else...

Demasting is extremely fast on live :(  Like ridiculously fast.

If someone thinks that demasting is about skill, please give me a break.  It is way too easy to hit those masts.

Devs, seriously, fix this already.

Consider that all the above posts are from pre-wipe and went through a few variations of general damage. What we have currently is a pretty different system. I actually think an entirely new thread might be needed not to mix data from both systems, making the poll entirely irrelevant and the thread confusing.

1 hour ago, admin said:

Captains. 

The balance in the world is threatened. 3 nations invaded the Caribbean. Prussian, Russian and Commonwealth Navy was spotted in the Bahamas in the vicinity of Shroud Cay. 

Other news

• Battle experience can be received for damage even if you did not kill the target. Prize money will remain on the traditional privateering "No prey No pay"
  • Tow to port added - players will be able to transport one ship per day instantly.
  • Hostility missions can be taken in free ports
  • Reinforcement zone slightly reduced
  • Improved national descriptions on the map
  • Tuned damage caused by ramming (almost removed it due to bugs with unity 5 physics)
  • Added surgeon button during boarding - surgeons could work during boarding and invisible button was unfair to those who did not know that. 
  • Fixed the bug causing incorrect number of resources produced in buildings
  • Fixed bugs with sails on Wasa

Enjoy and Discuss

Nice patch. It will definitely boos population for a bit. UI and more content is what we need next asap. 

One request, is it possible to add a button that would auto lock opposite dun decks+ reload and call crew to the one you are aiming with. What happens now is we have to spin around hit F1-F2-F3-F4 and then switch back to aiming. We are loosing time and aim here. In real life all this could be done with one Captain order.

So, please add a button that would auto lock all opposite gun decks + reload and move crew to the live one. Button can be called "Reinforced Gundecks'. ex. if I am firing only with one side and there are no enemies on the other side, I simply would use "Reinforce Gundecks" button without moving from my aim position. 

Thanks. 

Edited by George Washington

1 minute ago, George Washington said:

Nice patch. It will definitely boos population for a bit. UI and more content is what we need next asap. 

One request, is it possible to add a button that would auto lock opposite dun decks and call crew to the one you are aiming with. What happens now is we have to spin around hit F1-F2-F3-F4 and then switch back to aiming. We are loosing time and aim here. In real life all this could be done with one Captain order.

So, please add a button that would auto lock all opposite gun decks and move crew to the live one. Button can be called "Reinforced Gundecks'. 

Thanks. 

1. look into direction you want cannons to load after the other broadside

2. press F5 twice

3. be happy that crew loads the broadside you want

With F1-F4 you only lock for shooting, not for reloading.

Just now, rediii said:

1. look into direction you want cannons to load after the other broadside

2. press F5 twice

3. be happy that crew loads the broadside you want

With F1-F4 you only lock for shooting, not for reloading.

Still complicated, should be done by one key without looking and camera positioning. 

Still complicated, should be done by one key without looking and camera positioning. 

Your proposal would get another button into the game that locks fhe other side instead of the side you are looking at. instead of moving your mouse to the other side you only press the new button 2 times ... :D

13 minutes ago, rediii said:

Your proposal would get another button into the game that locks fhe other side instead of the side you are looking at. instead of moving your mouse to the other side you only press the new button 2 times ... :D

Well, we need a button that locks decks/reload and moves crew to the side that you are using. How in the world new guys would know this? Do you even realize how important it is in pvp? All that switching BS can cost player life and if he doesn't know this trick he is done. People who know it will always have upper hand in every fight. Unfair imho. I am surprised Devs are ok with this. It would be the first thing that I would fix. 

10 minutes ago, George Washington said:

Well, we need a button that locks decks and moves crew to the side you are using. How in the world new guys would know this? Do you even realize how important it is in pvp? All that switching BS can cost you life. I am surprised Devs are ok with this. It would be my first thing that I would fix. 

You move your mouse VERY slow if that costs your life. naval action is a realy slow game

You can also just f5 the side you dont need all the time. I wouldnt give your request a high priority but well, devs probably read your request so no need to discuss it. :)

New players have way more problems than locking the reload on the side they dont need ;)

I see a problem with this patch if not 200+ join NA again for some reason. Right now there is no RvR fleet left except the swedish. Denmark (sorry guys) is super weak now and russia will not even have 25 players I guess. If they have they will soon not have them anymore due to constant ganking.

I would have welcomed the BR limitation in PBs and alliances together with this patch but like this ... nations seperated more and became more unable to do simple things sadly

So in my oppinion if these new nations fail its probably because their supporting mechanics are not in the game yet ... just saying

5 minutes ago, rediii said:

You move your mouse VERY slow if that costs your life. naval action is a realy slow game

You can also just f5 the side you dont need all the time. I wouldnt give your request a high priority but well, devs probably read your request so no need to discuss it. :)

New players have way more problems than locking the reload on the side they dont need ;)

I see a problem with this patch if not 200+ join NA again for some reason. Right now there is no RvR fleet left except the swedish. Denmark (sorry guys) is super weak now and russia will not even have 25 players I guess. If they have they will soon not have them anymore due to constant ganking.

I would have welcomed the BR limitation in PBs and alliances together with this patch but like this ... nations seperated more and became more unable to do simple things sadly

So in my oppinion if these new nations fail its probably because their supporting mechanics are not in the game yet ... just saying

Well ,they talked about unfair things that effect game play for new guys. Well there is one big one that would make Vets always better in pvp fights resulting in even more population loss in long term. I also, agree that we do need more people and they will come if Developers pay attention to small details that still cause massive problems and cutbacks. 

36 minutes ago, George Washington said:

Well, we need a button that locks decks/reload and moves crew to the side that you are using. How in the world new guys would know this? Do you even realize how important it is in pvp? All that switching BS can cost player life and if he doesn't know this trick he is done. People who know it will always have upper hand in every fight. Unfair imho. I am surprised Devs are ok with this. It would be the first thing that I would fix. 

I never really made use of F5. Never put me at a disadvantage in battle so i dare say it really isn't as important in PvP as you think.

And besides that, with a tutorial explaining how it works, everyone will know. 

Edited by TommyShelby

9 minutes ago, TommyShelby said:

I never really made us of F5. Never put me at a disadvantage in battle so i dare say it really isn't as important in PvP as you think.

Moving from aim position, hitting keys, moving back will undoubtedly mess up new player firing arc. I want to hear less from you Vets since you do have years of gameplay under your belt. Using this knowledge against new guys is unfair and Devs should fix it. No tutorial and hidden key combinations will result in players leaving game. Just so you know. No one will go pvp knowing there are hidden tricks that Vets use in order to be more efficient in battle. So, go figure the damage.  

8 minutes ago, TommyShelby said:

I never really made use of F5. Never put me at a disadvantage in battle so i dare say it really isn't as important in PvP as you think.

F5 is very important, but not in the way players think it is. It does not reduce reload time.

Moving from aim position, hitting keys, moving back will undoubtedly mess up new player firing arc. I want to hear less from you Vets since you do have years of gameplay under your belt. Using this knowledge against new guys is unfair and Devs should fix it. No tutorial and hidden key combinations will result in players leaving game. Just so you know. 

Players won't leave due to a function they don't know exists.