Game-Labs Forum
Prater

Perk - Extra Repair kits in battle is overpowered

Prater    5,325

The perk that allows extra repair kits in battle is way too overpowered, even though it is expensive and has speed penalties.  Extra hull and extra sail repair?  Combine that with all the repair modules (such as carpenters) and you get a brand new ship in battle.

A lot of perks are good perks, but some, such as this one, are way too gamey and remove skill from the game.  Remember long ago when it was said that there wouldn't be levels and that every thing would be down to skill?  But now you have to level up your officers and get modules, gear and level is extremely important.

If people don't take this in the tournament, they can't win.  Think about it, if you face a team who all has the repair mods and perks, you essentially have to fight 6 ships instead of 3.

The Red Duke    6,298

Combos are killers. Perk and modules exacerbate and result in unbalanced situations.

As I was talking on TS yesterday, all these perks and modules should be a bonus and NOT a necessity.

Devs need a step back down the road and assess this :) but so far so good.

My favorite was when there was no hull repair kit, this was before Early Access. Think about it, you can plug leaks in battle but you cannot undo the damage of broadsides on your planking, frame timbers and knees. With these combos you now have a floating shipyard.

Cragger    275

That many of the perks flat out out perform mods or even several mods (such as pirate beating out copper plating and speed trim) shows there was not enough thought given to their implementation. 

The Red Duke    6,298

That many of the perks flat out out perform mods or even several mods (such as pirate beating out copper plating and speed trim) shows there was not enough thought given to their implementation. 

Bigger issue is when you combine them...

Blackjack Morgan    1,026

I'm not weighing in too much on this because I have not encountered anyone using it in OW battles to be fair. For obvious reasons I could see it being completely OP in this tournament you guys have coming up...won't argue that one bit. However, I know when I looked at it myself I said the exact same thing...."Damn that's pretty OP" but did not take it. The speed debuff in OW was just too much for me to justify. So, I guess I'm genuinely curious to hear from people who are running into it, or using it themselves, on OW PVP and more about their style of play....solo, group etc.

victor    690

Frankly speaking for once I fully support devs' choices to add new and particular perks.

Basically perks enhance specialization. The more the perks, the more the specialization options. Provedied that you have limited slots, so you have limited possiblity of speccing your gamplay., this will make the game more various and, then, more funny.

You'll never know what you will find and, what's more important, you will never able to tell in advance if you are in advantage or not on the adversary. That's simply good for a game that suffers to a certain degree the problem of repetitive gameplay and a certain lack of content. Specialization - after all - is a player created content.

My impression is that who complains is the player that always picks the fights he knows in advance he can win. 

On the contrary I prefer unpredictability in combat since it adds spice to the gameplay.

PS: as far as the tournament is concerned, I do not think that a feature of the game shall change due to a player created event.

Alado    212

i think that we dont need perks, maybe we could craft cannons, ammo, that all can have. But magics perks are irreal.

Intrepido    2,180

I think we should have perks but they should gives us only small bonus. This way the game remains skill based and no gear check or combo-perk-winner based.

AP514    115

Are there not Exclusive testers still in this game ?  Guys that get to test out the Devs new ideas before they get thrown out into the game ?

This one should have been sidelined before it got out into OW..Because this one is so so OP    the dev's will have to Nurf it .

and as others have stated you don't need skill anymore    Just MoDs and Perks

NickAbbottt    10

Are there not Exclusive testers still in this game ?  Guys that get to test out the Devs new ideas before they get thrown out into the game ?

This one should have been sidelined before it got out into OW..Because this one is so so OP    the dev's will have to Nurf it .

and as others have stated you don't need skill anymore    Just MoDs and Perks

We are all testers, as the game is in alpha. So feedback from all players on topics such as this is important.

I agree that the perks can be overpowered and definitely makes it a "Higher level beats lower level player" game. That's not to say that players with high level officers can't be beaten, it just makes it much harder.

Perks need to be reworked/rethought and repair kits for the hull limited to the OW and not battles. Repairing sails (rigging) in battle is fine as crews did repair rigging and jury rig in order to keep the vessel moving and fighting. However, repairs to the hull would be done over the course of weeks/months in port or at anchor.

I also agree that modules are unfortunately a necessity for PVP (they don't guarantee a win though), although, unpopular as it may initially be, having all ships as 1 dura would certainly make people really think about taking modules at all and if they do, which ones they want to install. But that is ultimately a decision for the Devs.

Regards

Nick

Pagan Pete    943

Naval Action project manager has been making seriously short sighted, and questionable decisions...

Pagan Pete would drown him/her on sight.

Snoopy    1,150

Difficult to both spot and enforce that.

Well not really. It may slip through but the opponent team will certainly be looking for it and the amount of hp this gives back is unmistakeable.

It will get iffy proving it, I'll grant you that.

roxanne    4

For the normal game i think its not OP but for the tournament i think maybe yes,but how to fix this .If they deside no one should be using this perk than will be the players with this perk on disadvantage because they have the perk witch they can not use and its consumes 7 points on the officer and by the way did the devs changed the points restrictions for that perk or what..when i was made my officer storage master had only 4 points and expert carpenter had 7 and last time i checked its vise versa ..lol..my perks on officer are triming expert-1 point, storage master 7 points and line ship master-5 points so i have a officer with 13 points now ...xD..now thats OP ..lol...i will reset my officer i ques...i really think this perk should cost all 10 points...yeah.. and Prater good luck with solution of this problem till 10th this month .

post-20651-0-36351100-1470587312_thumb.jpg

Prater    5,325

I don't know.  Even in the normal game it is definitely OP, especially when combined with expert carpenters and steel toolbox.  I recently beat a full crewed player coni in my surprise.  I defeated him by destroying all his armor except for the bow, I didn't kill his crew until I could board him.  If he had this perk plus the modules, I would have had to destroy two conis?

roxanne    4

I don't know.  Even in the normal game it is definitely OP, especially when combined with expert carpenters and steel toolbox.  I recently beat a full crewed player coni in my surprise.  I defeated him by destroying all his armor except for the bow, I didn't kill his crew until I could board him.  If he had this perk plus the modules, I would have had to destroy two conis?

No you will just use different tactic than,aka demast,but nevermind you right and im sure they gona change that..

Pagan Pete    943

Welcome back, Pete!!!!

Arrrrrrrrrrr!  Can you bring some sanity to these pirate friends of yours, mate!

I'm not back… Im just skulking about and lurking here n there on the forums.

I likely won't be back until sanity is restored at Game Labs