Game-Labs Forum

Alliances - final design

Hmm, pirates have no interest in making allies, as they attack each one they want. This is a big advantage, isn't it? Just sail out and look what poor target crosses your way ....

Its GREAT that we pirates dont have to follow any silly rules set by fat kings and queens !

The pirates who want allies and enemies probably would be better served being nationals.

• Like 3

Its GREAT that we pirates dont have to follow any silly rules set by fat kings and queens !

The pirates who want allies and enemies probably would be better served being nationals.

I heard Pirate dedicated patch will come after and we don't what to expect yet.  :D

• Like 3

I understand, but that challenge is not good enough. I want to see they spend required amount of hours per week if they want to be able to vote. They can spend 10 hours in Spain and then go and spend 10 hours in France. Such time investment will make sure they know why they are voting.

Ehrm, some alts I know off have 45 hours / week. They play in parallel, not in sequence.

Maybe I should write up a definitive alt guide as well. :D

One statement I heard last weekend was grand: "Should I attack this French player with my British alt? He is delivering mats for my French alt's Victory."

• Like 2

Ehrm, some alts I know off have 45 hours / week. They play in parallel, not in sequence.

Maybe I should write up a definitive alt guide as well. :D

One statement I heard last weekend was grand: "Should I attack this French player with my British alt? He is delivering mats for my French alt's Victory."

Well here is why I am trying to show devs how important this issue is, so they can do something about it before they start loosing players same way Potbs did.

Delivering mats to unknown shipbuilders is a trust issue and players are on their own if they get goods stolen or get under spy attack. They always need to double check who the person is before they trade or disclose info. I am more concerned about alliances and votes that can 'make America great again' :D  jk.

PLEASE Devs. Take a look at this suggestion.

This player did make a very very good suggestion to decrease the problem of multiaccounts and the voting system.

In addition such a system will protect a nation from votes by players who play just a very few hours a week. In my oppinion such players aren't be able to estimate

wich nation ist the best ally and wich are really need to be an enemy, because they don't know what happened the last week(s).

No, I don't want the alliance mechanic to succumb to power gamers in that way. We need to figure out something else.

Power gamers should/could be the primary content providers, but in such a way that casuals are not impeded.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Skully71/recommended/311310

No, I don't want the alliance mechanic to succumb to power gamers in that way. We need to figure out something else.

Power gamers should/could be the primary content providers, but in such a way that casuals are not impeded.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Skully71/recommended/311310

You can always choose to be a passive gamer with no attachments in politics and keep your vote. We are talking zerg cheating here. Also, can you explain why you don't want it? Saying no means nothing. Your links is pointed at the positive Pirate (Pirate nation is not effected) review.  

I-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

Admin - pirates are pirates - they don't participate in politics (only undercover) 

Maybe to limit the amount of allies one nation can have.  Maybe max 2 allies.  Alliance of 3 is already actually a big, maybe too big already.

Right now for example; UK, VP, SE, US are allied. This is way too big alliance in the game, and should have never existed.  So maybe you should only be allowed to be allied with 1.  Or bigger you are, less alliances you can have.  The size measured in active players.

There is flaw in your reasoning. Sweden is allied to VP, We are friendly/neutral Towards Uk and US. That is not the same as your describing.

Thank you for designing alliances! This should be fun to test.  Any reason why instead of rounds of voting directly on alliances, you didn't go the "elect a leader who quickly decides alliances and enemies" route?  Seems like a leader and/or his foreign minister could negotiate alliances quickly, and in interesting ways that voting could never do...  that said, I'm very grateful for the new content, and looking forward to testing it!

I would disagree with having one leader decide something as important as alliances and enemies.

Something as important as that should require a consensus of the population. Having one person make such a decision could potentially result in unpopular decisions that are not supported by a majority of that nation. Another problem with one leader making those decisions is what happens if that player decides to take a pause/vacation from the game?

Edited by OlavDeng2
Removed Real World Politics reference

You can always choose to be a passive gamer with no attachments in politics and keep your vote. We are talking zerg cheating here. Also, can you explain why you don't want it? Saying no means nothing. Your links is pointed at the positive Pirate (Pirate nation is not effected) review.  

I-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

Admin - pirates are pirates - they don't participate in politics (only undercover) 

Stop editing while I'm reading. :P

The zerg cheat/exploit would be as follows: alts are power gamers, power gamers have many active hours, ergo alts dictate the mechanism.

Stop editing while I'm reading. :P

The zerg cheat/exploit would be as follows: alts are power gamers, power gamers have many active hours, ergo alts dictate the mechanism.

If you let power gamers rule the game NA will die withing 6 months max. Not going to point fingers, but one clan already proved how easily it is to destroy nation population and eventually the game. That is why heavy restrictions must be applied per Nation. This includes hours spend in one Nation, PB participation and points earned in contention zones before you  can go into Politics. Please take no offence we are just figuring an honest way. 

• Like 4

If you let power gamers rule the game NA will die withing 6 months max. Not going to point fingers, but one clan already proved how easily it is to destroy nation population and eventually a game. That is why heavy restrictions must be applied per Nation. This includes hours spend in one Nation, PB participation and points earned in contention zones before you  can go into Politics. Please take no offence we are just figuring an honest way.

I'm just saying alts can easily reach those conditions and potentially rig a vote.

I heard Pirate dedicated patch will come after and we don't what to expect yet.  :D

Oh yes...

"I am a free Prince, and I have as much Authority to make War on the whole World, as he who has a hundred Sail of Ships at Sea, and an Army of 100,000 Men in the Field ... but there is no arguing with such sniveling Puppies, who allow Superiors to kick them about Deck at Pleasure; and pin their Faith upon a Pimp of a Parson; a Squab, who neither practices nor believes what he puts upon the chuckle-headed Fools he preaches to."

• Like 1

Again, did i miss something ? Voting will be done by landowners, landowners are people that win land in PB's get land by doing a lot of PvP feats or spend a ton of cash. I cant see alts being able to zerg votes unless they already ditched the entire Landlord idea they had going on.

..alts are power gamers, power gamers have many active hours, ergo alts dictate the mechanism.

Wrong. I know some guys who are having alts just to produce some goods and bring it to their mains.

That guys playing much with the main, really less with the alt. Their alts shouldn't be able to vote at the nations they belongs to.

Their alts have a higher level because they played it month ago or let their child play the alt for some weeks.So, just to set a minimum rank to get the right to vote

isn't enough.

This game need the restriction by "Active Hours per week" like "Wind" has posted

Wrong. I know some guys who are having alts just to produce some goods and bring it to their mains.

That guys playing much with the main, really less with the alt. Their alts shouldn't be able to vote at the nations they belongs to.

Their alts have a higher level because they played it month ago or let their child play the alt for some weeks.So, just to set a minimum rank to get the right to vote

isn't enough.

This game need the restriction by "Active Hours per week" like "Wind" has posted

Remember the flag buying level incident:

Yeah, and the alts are nearing Rear Admiral anyway.

If it doesn't take away time from the port battle patch, please make it so.

(Should only be a template tweak, right?)

• Assault flag requirement lowered to Master and Commander
Don't let reality hit you on the way out.

Like the changes but agree alts etc could cause problems.

The suggestion of an active hours played is nice but comes with issues... afk fishing being a recent example of active hours that anyone with a battery on a keyboard could achieve.

An alternative could be xp earned.. xp is still earned even if max rank (think officers). Reach an xp threshold in a week and get a vote. Amount to be argued about!!! Would need thought given to those professions that don't earn a lot of experience, crafting trading as examples. However crafting experience is also tracked.. so could have a different threshold.

Exp earned means you actually have to involve yourself in the world. In my opinion being involved in the world gives you a right to vote. Doesn't matter if it's a main or an alt. If you can be bothered to engage in the world on your alt then for me it can have a vote as well.

• Like 1

There is no limit how many factions can choose the same enemy?

So a faction can end being chosen as enemy by all the other factions?

you can only have 2 (current) or maybe 3 alliances

but everyone can pick the same enemy yes.