Game-Labs Forum

Alliances - final design

Hello Captains

Would like to share our final view on the design of alliances that will be deployed next patch. 

Allied Nations will be enforced by a ruleset. 

Allied nations:

• Can enter each other ports
  • Are pulled into battles as friendlies
  • Can enter port battles
  • Cannot be attacked

Enemy nations: Needed to block situations where your ally also has an alliance with your enemy. 

You cannot ally with nations who have alliances with your enemy and vice versa. They must dissolve that alliance first and only after that you will be able to ally with them. Alternatively you must change the views on the enemy and then will be able to join the alliance 

Alliance creation is a political process that requires national effort in voting screen and in real life. 

Alliances are created by national voting and are enforced by systems. 

How voting will work. 

Voting is done in weekly rounds.

Every voting round your nation does 2 things

• votes for the enemy nation (same enemy can be picked)
  • votes for the potential ally

Alliances are signed for top choices for matching nations for a certain time (several weeks). 

Example on how it will work.

Week one

1. France picked Sweden as a top ally choice (picking denmark as enemy)
  2. Sweden picked France as a top ally choice (picking great britain as enemy)

Then during next maintenance alliance is signed for 2 weeks between France and Sweden. Once alliance is signed all votes are reset and credited back to the player for the next round of voting. 

Week two

France is already allied with Sweden

1. France wants to ally with Great Britain
  2. Because one of their ally members has listed Great britain as enemy this alliance cannot be signed and is not available for voting
  3. To be able to ally with Great britain france must persuade Sweden to drop Great britain as enemy and replace it with someone else (for example Denmark)

As a result in 3 weeks (3 rounds of voting) 2 or 3 large blocks will be created. Over time the situations might change. Because of the forced enemy decision there will always be 2 large blocks at the minimum. 

Votes

Vote limits are granted based on level. Voting is allowed above a certain rank. To be able to vote for allies player must first vote on the enemy. 

Other considerations.

Alliances also will play important part in hostility generation

Sinking enemies will grant extra points in pvp and pve. Attacks on allied NPCs will be forbidden and will force players to move closer to hostile waters. 

• Like 37

If a National (/non-Pirate) attacks an ally, does he turn Pirate?

We want to disable attacks on friendlies. too many mistakes causing support tickets :)

but before that - yes. Allied = friendly

• Like 10

Will alliances be signed if only both nations pick each other as top ally? Will there be multiple choices for possible alliances?

Example:

Sweden picks as top ally Denmark.

Denmark picks as top ally Britain but as a second choice Sweden. If Britain chooses somebody else than Denmark, will Denmark be allied with Sweden?

Pirates cannot sign alliances

We are missing a huge opportunity here where each Pirate clan individually can sign an alliance with a Nation.

Or Pirate clans declaring war on one-another.

Basically structuring the whole Pirate civil war.

• Like 2

Sweden picks as top ally Denmark.

Denmark picks as top ally Britain but as a second choice Sweden. If Britain chooses somebody else than Denmark, will Denmark be allied with Sweden?

no

both nations must be a top choice for each other - but because the voting lasts for a week and you get multiple votes you will be able to put votes to make the second choice a first choice

basically - only 1 alliance per week.

• Like 1

We want to disable attacks on friendlies. too many mistakes causing support tickets :)

but before that - yes. Allied = friendly

Hehe, yes I fully agree we need to have it so it doesn't generate support tickets. :)

Given the player base distribution across time zones, this might result in the 18-20's deciding what wars fights will be allowed, right?

Edited by Skully

Will there be an "alliance" chat to facilitate communications between partner nations?

EDIT>> Will there also been an option to vote for "no alliance" during these polls and/or a minimum vote percentage to ratify an alliance?

Edited by TheStarSlayer
  • Like 3

а если я пират и не хочу ни с кем союзов?

and if I'm a pirate , and I do not want anyone unions ? (google tran)

pirates are pirates - they don't participate in politics (only undercover) 

Will there be an "alliance" chat to facilitate communications between partner nations?

hopefully but not guaranteed

• Like 10

pirates are pirates - they don't participate in politics (only undercover)

Which I interpret as sailing under a false flag. Hence I think Pirate clans should be able to ally themselves with Nations (/other clans).
  • Like 1

I belive this will be followed by a pirate mechanic change ? Otherwise current Pirates (nation) will be in a very unfavorable position.

Then the game's faction description will accurately reflect the challenge of playing as a pirate?

Hmm. Perhaps I would raise a black flag then.

Thank you for designing alliances! This should be fun to test.  Any reason why instead of rounds of voting directly on alliances, you didn't go the "elect a leader who quickly decides alliances and enemies" route?  Seems like a leader and/or his foreign minister could negotiate alliances quickly, and in interesting ways that voting could never do...  that said, I'm very grateful for the new content, and looking forward to testing it!

• Like 1

We are missing a huge opportunity here where each Pirate clan individually can sign an alliance with a Nation.

Or Pirate clans declaring war on one-another.

Basically structuring the whole Pirate civil war.

I regret that pirates were implemented as they currently exist. IMO, there should never have been a pirate 'faction' but instead privateers, which could change sides at will, perhaps with a cool down. Too many problems with spying I suppose, but I wonder if there is some way to make it work.

Of course, you could go completely pirate if you really wanted to, but you'd have to operate out of free towns and would truly be on your own, essentially. True pirate, hated by all, few reliable friends, etc.

• Like 1

Hmm, I'm pretty much playing as an independent (British) trader and scoundrel  with outposts in 4/5 ports along the America's coastline + Kingston/PR.

We no longer have Neutrals (I voted for the removal).

I find myself in the most dastardly of doldrums with this bewildered and bewuthered political meandering.

I fear I shall by need only, become an unfortunate Corsair without rights or Letters of Marque.

What will become of me now ?