Game-Labs Forum

Forthcoming patch with new perks and other changes.

Unedited

Hello Captains. 

We wanted to share some information about the changes that are coming this (hopefully) week. 

1) New perks

A lot of new perks added.  Certain perks (while simple) take lots of man hours. It takes time but it is worth it going forward.

1 perk we wanted to give an advance warning about. This perk could be controversial so we wanted to give you a heads up. 

Control. It does not allow exit to YOU and ALL enemy targets within 500 meters of you while you are alive. (meters subject to change - lets start from 500m)

A lot of you requested distance based exit timers and voila we can get you them as option through perks. 

to reallocate perks a temporary reset button is added (costs 3 officer levels)

2) Fixes to acceleration

We wanted to fix this for a long time as it was done very wrong - so we do not accept comments that we should have done something else.

Acceleration/Deceleration will work properly finally. Speed gain loss is no longer dependent on % of sails opened (ST1 legacy) but is dependent on water friction/ship mass and intertia/ hull shape/ and wind power (positive or negative)

Why the fix was needed - simple example.

Given:

1. Your ship is on autoskipper
  2. Ships should slow down from max to 0 in 1 min (downwind) while lowering sails from 100% to 0%

Bug Example 1

Your ship turns into the wind receives lots of negative wind power but still slows down in 1 min because of the bugs and old legacy code problems. (strong negative wind power does not affect deceleration and decel was tied to % of sails opened)

Bug Example 2

You masts are destroyed immediately (or depowered). In this case ship still slows down in 1 min or something close to it. While in fact if you depowered your sails you must stop faster compared to the situation when you just lower them over time. 

All ships acceleration and deceleration parameters were completely rebalanced as a result. All problems were fixed.

Expect potential issues with this and expect different ship behaviours. We tried to bring it as close to old system as possible but ... you know.. mistakes could have been made.

This change is amazing as we now can affect a lot more and make all ships more unique and different. 

We can control and tune this per ship

• Acceleration/Deceleration individually - for example the ship due to its form can accelerate faster but decelerate much slower and vice versa
  • Water friction/hull shape effect - ship hull can affect on how and at what speeds the ship behaves 
  • Sailing plan efficiency - some ships can catch more wind at narrow angles and some wont
  • Backing force efficiency - some ships can reverse a lot better and are stopped a lot faster by wind pressure
  • Minimal friction required to overcome - when ship is too heavy you actually have to gain a lot of wind power to start moving at all. (forcing captains to use yards to control speed)

Please provide ideas on what changes you want to propose to above-mentioned parameters for your favorite ships. 

We are not sure about leeway and constant wind side push - but we are more and more ready for it.

3) Cannonball damage to crew

Some things are found unexpectedly and due to bug on our internal version we have set all crew casualties from cannonballs to min 1 crew per ball. 

• As a result every broadside started to matter (A LOT).
  • Many engagements end in just 4-5 broadsides and 2 rakes (like USS Constitution vs Java).
  • And majority of engagements end in with a white flag; crew willing to fight = 0. 

I liked how it worked but some dont like it even on our team. You now really think even when engaging a bot as a wrong turn and you are done. 

We are kind of worried to bring this to live game and plan to set up a test bed next week to experiment in a more quiet environment. All players will be provided access to this beta to test it. 

In parallel we are working on alliances/sound/ai improvements and some other interesting features. + of course new ships.

EDIT

important

The 1 shot = 1 crew loss, I don't know.  A Santi fires at a victory.  The Victory automatically kills 69 crew if they land every shot?  I don't know about that.  Especially since there is no mechanic for lightly wounded.  This means for the most part, as long as a captain lands the shot (no matter where it is also, even if it is in the bottom of the ship?), bigger and the more guns always equals better.

Also, equip every ship with 4lbers, Powder Monkies, and Improved Magazine access.  Machine gun down the enemy crew.

It is not - shoot 69 shots anywhere get 69 kills like the quote above described

its more

Santi fires at Victory

69 shots penetrate in the right place where crew is located (thats important)

If 69 shots penetrate and ball and splinters hit the crew (they can miss crew) you have 69 or more men not willing to fight (dead, wounded, or broken or routed for multiple reasons)

• Like 37

Although i cherish all the upcoming ramming and salt, will be hilarious :DDD Any news on port battles and land ? :)

As for the controversial perk, would actually prefer if it was a default mechanic instead of a perk :) Could even mix and match both the current system and distance based leaving mechanics. As in if there is an enemy within 500 meters you simply cant leave, if you are between 500-750 meters away a check is initiated every minute or 2, if an enemy ship is closing the distance, or landing hits, you are not allowed to leave, if no one is gaining on you an exit timer starts. Would remove the stupid part of ships without chasers having to turn their broadside each time loosing speed to tag a person, even while having a vastly faster ship.

Edited by Ledinis

D Any news on port battles and land ? :)

land is in testing

port battles (hostility and such) after alliances.

Curious, will you give us free reset to off perks or just level up another one to get new perks for test?

reset button is coming

• Like 2

land is in testing

port battles (hostility and such) after alliances.

reset button is coming

^

nice!

and why do we always have interesting patch when I cant play the game :(

the new wind and yard system sound promising, this will put a lot more skills into small pvp battle!!!!

btw I have finished my lvl 1 dk3 run :lol:

Edited by Nash

Hope battle won't turn into a "crew shoot fest"

Historical or not. Don't want a battle to end after 5 broadsides with only raking as the premier way to win.

Atm you can win with various play styles. Hope it stays that way.

You have the benefit of the doubt here, since you got it right with the damage model as well after a couple

Of rounds of tuning :-)

• Like 2

Some things are found unexpectedly and due to bug on our internal version we have set all crew casualties from cannonballs to min 1 crew per ball. 

• Many engagements end in just 4-5 broadsides and 2 rakes (like USS Constitution vs Java).
  • And majority of engagements end in with a white flag; crew willing to fight = 0. 

I liked how it worked but some dont like it even on our team. You now really think even when engaging a bot as a wrong turn and you are done. 

We are kind of worried to bring this to live game and plan to set up a test bed next week to experiment in a more quiet environment. All players will be provided access to this beta to test it. 

In parallel we are working on alliances/sound/ai improvements and some other interesting features. + of course new ships.

Not too excited about the sounds of this. I really don't want to see fights ending in 4-5 broadsides....that just seems like it would be simplified down to such a level that having really good fights between players would be hard to achieve. I understand in real life perhaps a fight might end after a few exchanges of fire but this isn't real life and we need to maintain some fun factor. I could say in real life if you caught a trade ship it probably would surrender without a shot even being fired but we don't expect player captains sailing trade ships to do the same.

The other stuff sounds really good though and look forward to testing it out! Just, skip the krypton cannon balls of insta death ray and everything should be great.

• Like 6

I am looking forward to test that. Its sounds so incredable nice!

Just to clarify, does this mean that all "hits" now guarantee a minimum of one casualty or just that specific shot strikes that would have caused a crew casualty are guaranteed to do so. 

Just to clarify, does this mean that all "hits" now guarantee a minimum of one casualty or just that specific shot strikes that would have caused a crew casualty are guaranteed to do so. 

"We are kind of worried to bring this to live game and plan to set up a test bed next week to experiment in a more quiet environment. All players will be provided access to this beta to test it. "

It will be on a test bed so we can test it, it will not be on the live server untill further notice

Most of it sounds awesome.

The 1 shot = 1 crew loss, I don't know.  A Santi fires at a victory.  The Victory automatically loses 69 crew if they land every shot?  I don't know about that.  Especially since there is no mechanic for lightly wounded.  This means for the most part, as long as a captain lands the shot (no matter where it is also, even if it is in the bottom of the ship?), bigger and the more guns always equals better.

Also, equip every ship with 4lbers, Powder Monkies, and Improved Magazine access.  Machine gun down the enemy crew.

• Like 5

"We are kind of worried to bring this to live game and plan to set up a test bed next week to experiment in a more quiet environment. All players will be provided access to this beta to test it. "

It will be on a test bed so we can test it, it will not be on the live server untill further notice

Sorry that wasn't meant to be a complaint, I want to make sure I understand the mechanic.

• Like 1

The changes to acceleration/deceleration looks incredible on paper at least. It will add another level to the battle mechanics. I look forward to trying this when implemented. 

Unfortunately I probably won't have the opportunity to play when the cannonball damage test bed goes up. I'm going on holiday to the actual sea. I hear the graphics and the physics implementation there is amazing.

• Like 1

The 1 shot = 1 crew loss, I don't know.  A Santi fires at a victory.  The Victory automatically kills 69 crew if they land every shot?  I don't know about that.  Especially since there is no mechanic for lightly wounded.  This means for the most part, as long as a captain lands the shot (no matter where it is also, even if it is in the bottom of the ship?), bigger and the more guns always equals better.

maybe you need to penetrate first but admin forgot to add it there

Not stated by admin, but I'm hoping this only applies to penetrating hits/hits on crew hitboxes (thinking of hits on the crew exposed on the quarterdeck).

1) New perks

A lot of new perks added.  Certain perks (while simple) take lots of man hours. It takes time but it is worth it going forward.

1 perk we wanted to give an advance warning about. This perk could be controversial so we wanted to give you a heads up. 

Control. It does not allow exit to YOU and ALL enemy targets within 500 meters of you while you are alive. (meters subject to change - lets start from 500m)

A lot of you requested distance based exit timers and voila we can get you them as option through perks. 

to reallocate perks a temporary reset button is added (costs 3 officer levels)

Looking forward to testing the control perk. For some reason, all of my favorite ships have no bow chasers, so for me this has the potential to be a welcome addition.

2) Fixes to acceleration

-snip-

I am very excited for this.

EDIT: made less wall of texty

Edited by Enraged Ewok

Don't consider casualties kills. 

Also you actually have to hit properly (its not just blind click = kill)

It is not - shoot 69 shots anywhere get 69 kills like you described

its more

Santi fires at Victory

69 shots penetrate in the right place (thats important) at proper angle

If 69 shots penetrate and ball and splinters hit the crew (they can miss crew)you have 69 or more men not willing to fight (dead, wounded, or broken or routed for multiple reasons)

TLDR So if you equip 4lb you are dead = no penetration = no crew loss. When did you shoot at Santi with 4lb last time?

If you position your ship right you can avoid this. If enemy makes mistakes you can finish the battle and get him surrender in just 3-5 broadsides. But thats if you can position yourself properly. 

First proper shot in also counts as it can be decisive. So just rushing in without thinking (especially for gankers in faster weaker ships) can be immediately devastating

• Like 11

For the sake of comparison, what is the chance of causing a casualty with a roundshot hit to a crew hitbox now?

there is no chance

currently a cannon ball delivers X damage if hits a crew...if it flies further it can hit more crew unless it hits a hard object (cannon for example) other side or flies out

patented mechanic :) dont want to give competitors ideas ;)  - but you can inquire in other channels

After testing that bug i came to believe that while we calculate the crew loss properly (kills). But the damage is very low because we do not include injured, broken, routed and just scared people in it. And 

It is ok for grape because it is inflated.

• Like 1

Morale needs to be incorporated into this game at some point.  The more crew lost, the lower the morale of the crew, the slower they load cannons and operate the sails.  Also, what about musket men shooting at the enemy when your ship is close to the enemy ship?  I would really like to see these things added to the game.

Morale should work similar to when you are being boarded, but the morale should be a global thing where if the morale of your crew reaches zero, your ship automatically surrenders.  If a friendly ship is nearby, you should get a moral bonus, if a friendly ship is sunk, captured, or surrenders, you should take a morale loss.  If your ship takes leaks, you should take a morale penalty until the leaks are fixed. 

I would also like to see flag ships added where the flag ship gives a morale boost to all other ships and if it is sunk, all ships take a morale penalty. 

Just some ideas to making combat more engaging and realistic, as that seems to be the way the developers are going with the crew loss mechanics from cannon balls.

• Like 3

there is no chance

currently a cannon ball delivers X damage if hits a crew...if it flies further it can hit more crew unless it hits a hard object (cannon for example) other side or flies out

patented mechanic :) dont want to give competitors ideas ;)  - but you can inquire in other channels

After testing that bug i came to believe that while we calculate the crew loss properly (kills). The damage is very low because we do not include injured, broken, routed and just scared people in it. And 

It is ok for grape because it is inflated.

With this then we should have a percentage of the crew that would come back into the fight if you are intending to account for injured, routed, and scared people. Additionally, I would just say routed and fearful can be a bit abstract on how you model it....a more experienced crew with good leadership would be much more resistant to fear effects and probably quicker to recover from an initial shock. 

• Like 6