Game-Labs Forum

Higher Rank Can't Attack in first 100 hours of play

There will always be ganks no matter what is put in place. Its common sense to want an advantage. The timers as they are now, only serve to ensure that ganks stay ganks and that the battle does not become even or turn into a countergank. All for the sake of "realism" which im all for until it adversely affects fun pvp. This is a game, too much realism, unfortunately, can be a bad thing when implemented in certain aspects of the game.

Edited by Potemkin

If the current timer system was meant to reduce ganking how come ganking is 90% of all "pvp" interactions?

It wasn't meant to reduce ganking, it was implemented to give some control over situation to potential solo/small group players. If they don't want to adapt and not have anykind of sailing cohesion with their friends to stay within 2 min range then I can only feel sorry for them because they ask to get ganked.

If the current timer system was meant to reduce ganking how come ganking is 90% of all "pvp" interactions?

Because the squadrons are now sailing in close proximity.

A squadron with larger numbers could effectively, with the 5 minutes, set a sweeping pattern in wider areas.

You had the same amount of ganks before and actually you could be ganked out of "invisibility" as Prater posts.

Actually there was so much "bait play" that most people decided not even to attack a 1v1 due to fear of the 5 minutes.

I know it. Was got many times like that. Go into a 1v1 and suddenly was trapped in battle and 5 more joined in the last 5 seconds, simply because that was the normal operational mode - we have time, let the tagger be the bait, set a blindfold in the victim ( in battle, can't see OW ) and then jump out of port, come out of the far horizon and BAAAAAAM, invisible gank achievement unlocked...again :)

• Like 2

Oh, so now I wasnt around. O, sure

Yeah, I was around thank you, and yes, I did play solo. Id go raiding by myself, and I'd get into fights, and people would stay and fight me. I got pretty good at fighting, and I had a hell of a good time. Did enemy reinforcements show up? Sometimes. Did I have to run sometimes? yes. But thats what you get if you sail into enemy waters. YOU HAVE TO HAVE SITUATIONAL AWARENESS AND CHOOSE YOUR FIGHTS CAREFULLY. Sail around an area enough and you learn where people normally are, where player concentration is lowest, and where you can challenge a guy or 3 without getting immediately swarmed.

Lesson 1: Dont attack outside capital ports

Lesson 2: Don't attack at peak activity outside a major trade hub

Lesson 3: In the age of outpost to outpost teleport, learn where most players seem to have outposts and adjust accordingly. Most outposts are the nearest resource port to a capital. 

Sailing into enemy waters SHOULD be dangerous, SHOULD be a challenge, and defenders SHOULD have an advantage. Its their freaking powerbase. With these new 2 minute timers, I can be near Castries and not be able to respond to an attack south of Fort Royal. Happened just today actually. The guy hit someone just outside of the green zone yet no one in the area could reach him in time. Then they guy sits around in the battle screen. Danger free fights. Thats garbage.

Used to be fights were even. Now, with no chance of reinforcements, you gotta bring all your pals with you, because if there is a chance the solo enemy has friends around, you just ganked yourself. Congrats. The rule now is that every player is bait for a gank. Do not attack without numbers. Essentially, Gank first, ask questions later.

IF you are a solo player and you catch someone sailing alone, in a similar ship, they run. Because its probably a gank. They dont stay and fight. Boring. And guess what? when the chase is over, they have all their friends waiting outside to smash you. Used to be, there was motivation to stay and fight in case some friends could get there on time. This usually sparked more battles, because your friends would tag their friends as both sides tried to get to the battle. Many fond memories in Cano Bay.

Id rather those after-battle-ganker guys joined the fight so I could at least see them, rather than play russian roulette exiting the battle screen.

I used to go out solo all the time for PvP. Now I dont. 1v1, they run. Even 2v1, they run sometimes. 3+v1, they mostly stay and fight because they have to be horrible to lose. 

If I attack a single guy, and his 5 best friends come to help, tough luck for me. Catalog that event and remember for next time. Try to sink someone and get out intact, or go for broke and try to sink as many as possible. It was all part of the experience. 

You guys need to realize that I played in a nation of maybe 40 active players when I started playing this game, verses a nation of 150 players who were invading our waters and another 150 who were mostly fighting in the Bahamas, but then came down to our area after the Americans chased them out. Chances were, I was fighting alone. My home waters were my enemy's stronghold. 

Outnumbered, usually outgunned, almost portless, old timer system.... it was the best time I had on this game to date

I guess I should also mention my first PvP experience on this game. I was so new, I didnt recognize what ships were being used, just that they were massive. (probably light 5th rates) I was in a basic cutter, sailing northwest out of Fort Royal. Entered a mission. 2 pirate players come in. I say hi, ask them how theyre doing, ask if they're friendly or not, and their answer was catching up to me, sailing on either side, and blasting me to bits.

I wonder how many new players stay after those kinds of first time experiences. I stayed because I love the era, and $40 is a lot to me. 

Edited by Æthlstan
  • Like 1

99% of all these kinds of threads could be eliminated if all these " super captains " would just leave the capital some time other than teleporting to a port battle .

For whatever reason NA lets you do quests from 1st to last level all from the comfort of your starting city. So if course lazy or scared captains will never leave home they just zip from protection zone to a quest and then back home.

Believe it or not some players enjoy open world pvp so we are FORCED to go where tje captains are. Do you think we enjoy sailing 30 minutes to find pvp only to be gangbanged by all the port huggers?

Leave home and it solves 99% of these threads.