Game-Labs Forum
Prater

Prater's Map In Game - How To

Prater    5,325

If you want a different in game map, watch the youtube video below for instructions on how to get my map in the game.

Do note, you have to go to youtube to get the download links.  Also, I cannot get UAE to open in Windows 10.  I have to transfer the resources.assets file to a Windows 7 computer to get UAE to stop crashing.  Once I edit the assets file on the windows 7 computer, I transfer it back to the win 10 computer that I play NA on. 

Finally, my map isn't 100% complete, but I am nearing completion.  I will post in this thread when I finish my map and upload the new dds map file.

The map works exactly like it does by default.  Your wrecks show up, the ports show up, hovering over a port shows the information, your location shows up, the lat/lon coordinates show up, etc.

zpX6LBP.jpg

dApCQEn.jpg

DwGlwHD.jpg

HNyyxBD.jpg

Update:  6/9/17  Protractor tools
GbBOyen.jpg

Old Video (the gridlines now line up)

P.s.  Game Labs, can you please move the caribbean-map file to its own asset file so that I can upload a sharedassetsNN.assets so that people can download that instead of following my how to video?

Edited by Prater

z4ys    1,604

looks awesome and adds a lot to the ingame atmosphere!

Edited by z4ys

Kanay    632

Very nice, but before doing it myself I would like to hear about this kind of modification if allowed or not, looks really nice like this, finally a proper map in game but won't try before knowing if allowed or not.

Will be really cool as we can modify the map itself and add our own routes in a program like Gimp with some additional annotations, a bit complex compared to ingame direct tools but will be nice if Dev' say it's fine to use this. 

Chustler    1,353

Awesome stuff Prater

cool will check this out later it's a shame you don't play pirate

In my experience, he does play like a pirate. I have have seen legit pirate players in every nation. I have also seen many pirate nation players playing like nationals :)

This is really nice. If I may make a suggestion, I think it would be great to have all the island names on the background map and to have them more visible than the port names (that are duplicates in-game anyway). It's always annoyed me that we can't refer to the names of the islands since nobody knows these (on account of them never being shown).

Prater    5,325

how about integrate this in game?

While I appreciate the good words, I'm not a professional nor is my map complete and it will take awhile before it is.  Like SteelSandwich suggested in another thread, the map should be made easily modifiable so people like me or Shadow or Siegfried can make mods for people to add our maps.

Very nice, but before doing it myself I would like to hear about this kind of modification if allowed or not, looks really nice like this, finally a proper map in game but won't try before knowing if allowed or not.

Will be really cool as we can modify the map itself and add our own routes in a program like Gimp with some additional annotations, a bit complex compared to ingame direct tools but will be nice if Dev' say it's fine to use this.

This affects no one except your own game.  Admin knows that I mess with textures and in the past said it was ok when I was reported for it.

This is really nice. If I may make a suggestion, I think it would be great to have all the island names on the background map and to have them more visible than the port names (that are duplicates in-game anyway). It's always annoyed me that we can't refer to the names of the islands since nobody knows these (on account of them never being shown).

I can make the Island names darker maybe. Next update won't happen for awhile though. I need to finish my map completely before I make it game compatible again.

Kanay    632

Thanks for the precisions Prater, will give it a go, then later start to draw my most common routes used and add wind bearing and average travel times annotations on the map itself too.

Refreshing change , thank a lot for that .

z4ys    1,604

Well I can get as far as right clicking on Caribbean Map before Unity crashes.

I had the same problem on windows 10. Then i put the asset file on a usb stick and changed it on a vista pc

Prater    5,325

I had the same problem on windows 10. Then i put the asset file on a usb stick and changed it on a vista pc

Ya, I have to transfer it to a Windows 7 Computer to make the change.  I haven't been able to get UAE to work on windows 10.  Once I edit the assets file on the windows 7 computer, I transfer it back to the win 10 computer that I play NA on.

Prater    5,325

Well, if Game Labs moves the map to its own shared assets file then I can upload that instead and all you have to do is download it, but that isn't the case yet.

Captiva    227

Prater. I've used the TDA map from the start, and it keeps getting better and better. You and your TDA mates continue in helping to make an already great game, greater. Kudos to you all.

Edited by Captiva

sveno    608

Awesome map, thank you Prater for sharing!

Nice to have:

- The shallow / deep water indication is also not clearly viewable fully zoomed in, could you make a more clear indication?

- Could you also include the regional capitals indication?

- Is there a higher res possible (with less loss = less fuzzy)?

Cheerfully,

sveno

Edited by sveno

Prater    5,325

Awesome map, thank you Prater for sharing!

Nice to have:

- The shallow / deep water indication is also not clearly viewable fully zoomed in, could you make a more clear indication?

- Could you also include the regional capitals indication?

- Is there a higher res possible (with less loss = less fuzzy)?

Cheerfully,

sveno

No higher res.  It is a 4096x4096 dds.  I think that is hard coded.

Regional capitals do have an indicator but you have to really zoom in because the circle covers it.  Maybe I can make those larger.  Also, as the map isn't fully complete yet, some regionals are missing but I'm slowly adding those.  I just have the Gulf of Mexico and Virgin Islands left, then my map is done and I'll upload a new version.

Why this or something similar isn't already in the game is beyond me!? 

Magnificent piece of work Prater,

have you already discussed payment with Game-Labs, because they can sure as hell, use somebody like you to at least work on the User interface and give it a decent 17th Century golden age of sail look and feeling. 

Prater    5,325
10 hours ago, Jacob van Heemskerck said:

Why this or something similar isn't already in the game is beyond me!? 

Magnificent piece of work Prater,

have you already discussed payment with Game-Labs, because they can sure as hell, use somebody like you to at least work on the User interface and give it a decent 17th Century golden age of sail look and feeling. 

Thanks for the compliment.  They are looking into ways to make it easier for me and others to publish map mods.  My map isn't finished and isn't as good of quality as some of the others.  I am sure they will have their artist work on a map when they redesign the UI.