Game-Labs Forum

Feedback patch v1.7

First thanks for the latest patch.

I have played Ultimate General occasionally and I keep coming up with the same problems, even after the patch.

I have 2 main problems with UG.

First, the game tells me I have had a Major Defeat when in fact I have had a Major Victory. I have crushed the enemy, destroyed most of his units, pushed him back from where he was, and having done this, the game tells me I am defeated. For instance in my latest game, I think it was the 2nd battle, I am confederates, the enemy occupied Gettysburg. To the NW I pin his units, while moving N to S, I am able to destroy his units by catching them in a 3-way cross-fire, then sweeping behind them into Gettysburg proper. In the end, he is crushed, I have taken lots of land and killed many. Result: Major Defeat.

I move on. Second problem: I continue the game, on loading the next phase of the battle, I find my units are off to the left, nowhere near Gettysburg, some are NW, some are even NE of Gettysburg, I mean separated from eachother, with the enemy units in the town and they can easily move N to kill my units in the NE. Problem is that the units at the start of the 3rd phase of the battle have no relation to where I was at the end of the previous battle.

Also, the cavalry are useless. I wanted to charge a unit. I am behind them, they are moving away from me, I get the cavalry to attack ... they dilly dally and do nothing. I look for a "charge" button, none to be found.

To be fair, maybe I'm playing the game wrong? I'm attacking the enemy, I'm not really caring if he takes my position or what objectives I am expected to capture. But I am fighting, winning, taking territory, and just seeing that message "Major Defeat" when in fact I have won by a mile.

• Like 1

I personally enjoyed most of improvements in multiplayer, especially the new charges mechanics but there are still a few things that need fixing i believe

- Overpowered flanking damage : In a devil's den match against Koro I managed to beat back his attack in a very simple and unthoughtful manner : he just crashed against my lines set up around the hills. I've played a lot of games against him and lost 99% of the time. I reckon this is due to the massive flank damage which is a bit excessive (although I aprove of the principle : tactics matter). When a line start falling back crossfire will happen no matter what which means the attacker's more advanced brigades gets destroyed very quickly, too quickly imo. Attacking was difficult already but there it seems way too hard. Especially since carefully planned attacked can fail because of the time-limit. 

- DD bug : In two of my late matches (still Devil's Den) every union brigade that went through the devils den 'location' started loosing morale really fast (down to 13% or so). It never happened anywhere otherwise. Still it can be game killing since those brigades are key to holding DD. 

Edited by Col_Kelly
  • Like 1

Single Player..

Campaign // Phase 2 // ANV 

-------------

http://imgur.com/a/m40W7

Good Defense....

----

Seems Devin's Skirmishers are ripping up the Front.. OOB..2276 Kills....Outcome Report 2538..

My Arty Numbers are good.. imo..Supported n protected for

the most Part except from... LR..Shot..

AI Arty Number might seem high but their Batteries had prolonged... 

(*Long Range Salvo)(Shell Fire..... into massed Troops) n *Batteries.))

But I did notice AI Melee on a Custom Map, dealing out good damage.

Being stubborn by not disengage/Fall Back,

** Without incurring high causalities despite being hit with 2-3 Brigades(Melee n Fire) / 50% + Condition..**

They should of been pushed right off the Hill with that much pressure put on them^.........

I am going to Restart //// get clips of Flank Fire n Melee Custom Maps

**Perhaps Entrenched Troops in Elevation, n Flank Fire are a bit Over Powered,,..

..But will see...

• Like 1

v.1.7 rev.14398..  Campaign // ANV // Phase 2 // Dynamic

AI does put up a good defense otherwise in the few battles I have played...so far,,.

I did notice:

14:47 > Paul(*/Combat Rating) in A Melee ~ 40 minutes Game time.

Holding the O. McMillan Farm area, on South Seminary Ridge.

http://imgur.com/a/grhxl

I had 5 Brigade hitting him at 1 time or another, Had Lane n Brockenbrough

waiting to give Paul the taste of some Steel!

Musket Fire/Arty Fire into Paul's Flanks/Ranks.., seem to have minimal effect, 

​Dislodging was laborious n costly. No option to ignore Paul's' Position,  he had to Go...

---

The AI was too resilient(Pauls' Brigade here'),,, withstanding heavy engagements(over this time frame)(Melee/Musket/Arty Fire.)..imo

Paul's Brigade should of been incurring heavier losses n routing back off Seminary,  within 5-10 mins...imo

As they were hit by superior # , n elan(Morale/Condition)..

15:38.. Paul's Brigade finally Broke. His Brigade Fell Back n Formed a nice Battle line

with what was left of the Iron Brigade.

*Paul's Brigade was well supported with Artillery/ on South Seminary n C.Hill, throughout.., etc.

https://youtu.be/hpWnp3fhswE

• Like 1

v1.7 rev.14398 // Campaign // ANV Pz1.1 // Determined // Defeat

My Field Numbers / Position Prevented me from Mounting any real offensive push

from the North, without incurring heavy losses. A prudent General  would wait for Rodes's and/or Early.....

I just wanted to Take Oak Hill n hold it. But that failed.

The AI did for the most part have a good defense,with protecting Artillery

and holding the High Ground(Oak Ridge).

The AI did this while putting unrelenting pressure on my South Face on Oak Hill.

http://imgur.com/a/IqYFX

----

This Vid is the last ~eight mins.

All things being equal with weapons..

I find... I suffered ~2 x the Casualties than the AI, AI was haphazard with the offensive, n causalities should of been reverses..imo..

The AI was handing out greater damage, at times (Range's)(Arty Salvo's 20+.)

Paul's Brigade n a couple others displayed unrealistic resiliency to Prolonged,  Arty., Musket fire.......

The AI has a propensity to exposed Brigades in the open. Resistant to Falling Back when taking heavy Losses/Receiving Heavy Fire.

Refuses fall back  to obtain/taking cover n remaining where it is relative safe, with support.

11:57 - Iron Brigade's Suicidal charge across the field of Death.

This in turn causes The AI Brigades' to eventually get ground down, n finally rout with heavy losses.

This affect's the AI' Combat Readiness later on for the 1st Corps. When submitting Battle Report for next Phase start.

https://youtu.be/ArrB8ppr9b8

• Like 1

I started out by trying a familiar scenario vs. dynamic from both sides - the first July 1 custom battle. I can win both sides, BUT Confederate losses are a great deal more either way. Wondering if this is to be expected.

I won the first campaign map as Union: dealt 4.000 casualties to the rebels while I lost 1.000. AI was doing some pretty suicidal things like attacking with weak units peace-meal into my defensive wall instead of pulling back and waiting for the reinforcements to come.

I won the first campaign map as Union: dealt 4.000 casualties to the rebels while I lost 1.000. AI was doing some pretty suicidal things like attacking with weak units peace-meal into my defensive wall instead of pulling back and waiting for the reinforcements to come.

Which AI were you fighting against?

• 3 weeks later...

After a few weeks I must say this patch favors defense way too much. Simply camping on hills and canister your way to victory is frustrating, no matter which side you're on.

Besides the morale penalty for exposed flank is really crippling, especially since brigades are set to auto-turn even if that exposes them to that penalty. The only way to counter this is an exhausting micro of your brigades to prevent them from their own doom.

I guess energy has to be put elsewhere for the new game but I truly hope this newly implemented flanking mechanics could just be removed alltogether in some quick hotfix so the game felt less random.

• 1 month later...

Its simply a lack of code. You really see the limitations of the off the shelf software. My opinion is there is very little custom code in the game. The effort is great but there's no budget presently for the title. God bless Nick, you just know he's working his heart out, but the game tries to do way too much and fails in the end. Sure, so much fun to play! But I find myself winning as Union 10 minutes in and my units are spent anyway, no morale boost whatsoever. My troops should be fired up at repelling Rebs, but instead they win and then flee he he its a joke really.

You see this across the board with all the titles. A few  huge titles and then so many smaller developers trying to make it. Sad really. The end of big as they say. But now no one has the dough to develop correctly. For max revenue Nick should have simply issued the game with a gui for changing VP's around think of how long one could have played this title. But its so so stale. Nothing coming soon:clearly not enough dough to move the series along.

Its a tough game ( developing ), I don't envy Nick: your a brave soul my friend!

I am in constant awe of morale settings. Its just amazing. Union units running off the map after 10% casualties, morale blown out after force marches to destinations in the line.

Wa Huh? So now how is this a game? Ahhh its a movie sorry. My bad. I love REB's they have cement in their boots. Once on a hill that's were they stay. Nick: you love them Rebs! Overbaked lines, massive overthought. Keep it simple silly, your not sending rockets to the moon.

Edited by The Collectors Showcase

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Not sure if anyone still reads this forum. I just started playing UG: Gettysburg in the last few months and I absolutely love it! I've been telling all my friends about it. It made me actually visit Gettysburg earlier this fall, and even the map vs. reality is pretty fantastic. I think the AI is great. I haven't played previous versions of the game, but I like the effect of flanking thus far. I also haven't played multiplayer cause it seems like no one really plays it so I can't comment on that.

The one thing I wanted to request: a scoreboard ala FTL. I have spent and plan to continue spending hours playing this game, but don't have a lot to show for it. It would be nice if there was a personal scoreboard which kept track of the battles that I have completed with my score/order of battle being displayed. I think a scoreboard similar to that of FTL would go a long way in improving replayability, giving players a benchmark to compare themselves with, and giving players a record of their achievements. I sincerely hope you guys have one more patch in you that would contain this feature please!

• Like 1

On 11/12/2016 at 9:32 AM, CaptainKanundrum said:

Hello,

Not sure if anyone still reads this forum. I just started playing UG: Gettysburg in the last few months and I absolutely love it! I've been telling all my friends about it. It made me actually visit Gettysburg earlier this fall, and even the map vs. reality is pretty fantastic. I think the AI is great. I haven't played previous versions of the game, but I like the effect of flanking thus far. I also haven't played multiplayer cause it seems like no one really plays it so I can't comment on that.

The one thing I wanted to request: a scoreboard ala FTL. I have spent and plan to continue spending hours playing this game, but don't have a lot to show for it. It would be nice if there was a personal scoreboard which kept track of the battles that I have completed with my score/order of battle being displayed. I think a scoreboard similar to that of FTL would go a long way in improving replayability, giving players a benchmark to compare themselves with, and giving players a record of their achievements. I sincerely hope you guys have one more patch in you that would contain this feature please!

Be sure to get Ultimate General Civil War - it's even better.

4 hours ago, General Hancock said:

Are there any updates coming for the iOS version on iPad?

IPad version is based on the PC edition that had a lot of patches and even was in early access for 6 months. That is why Ipad edition did not require a lot of patching - it was based on a well polished game. Also we found that patches sometimes can spoil things or ruin gameplay that people get used to. 

It is a finished painting game and we don't have plans to try to improve it.