Game-Labs Forum

Naval Duels of the War of 1812: A Story Map

NorthernWolves

I created a story map on arcgis.com detailing the 17 pivotal naval duels of the War of 1812. They are in chronological order and there is a painting and description of the action on each point. Some of the major actions have 2-4 slides to adequately tell the story.

Each slide takes you to a point that is located accurately based on the lat/long given in the captains logs.

Scroll over the text box to read the entire descriptions and you can click on the arrows to enlarge the painting behind it.

For descriptions of the actions I rely on the tome of unrivaled research that is Teddy Roosevelt's The Naval War of 1812 which was published in 1882.

The slides tell a story and as you move along you can see the war unfold, getting a sense of the ebbs and flows of the weeks and months of the conflict.

The final slide is an overview plotting an overview of the battles and is not currently working properly (you cannot expand the embedded map to full size) due to a technical issue with this storymap format, so I have posted what you should see on that final slide in the spoiler.

Enjoy.

Naval Duels of the War of 1812

All duels
8wD8IKz.png

Duels heatmapped
j8lnPyJ.png

Duels by British killed
PZj8sPc.png

Duels by Americans killed
zQK6XwM.png

Edited by NorthernWolves
  • Like 19