Game-Labs Forum
Sir_Wiener_Von_Snitzel

Crew prices are TOO DAMN HIGH !

First of all I like that crew is expensive, it means less boarding spam, and u need to be pretty wealthy to crew the big ships.  However the current price make is impossible to make any gold, if i do a misson all the gold i earn doesnt even cover the cost to replace fallen crew. And this is when i just fire cannons, no boarding of cheeky stuff like that. So there is no way to make money doing mission atm witch has lead to the economy freeze cuase noby can afford buying anything. CREW PRIZE IS TOO DAMN HIGH!

Too-Damn-High.jpg

akd    2,622

People will say crew prices are too high until they are reduced to the point of being irrelevant, at which point managing your crew just becomes a tiresome bother rather than a meaningful aspect of gameplay.

Given the behavior I am seeing in game, crew may be too cheap.

DeRuyter    724

First of all I like that crew is expensive, it means less boarding spam, and u need to be pretty wealthy to crew the big ships.  However the current price make is impossible to make any gold, if i do a misson all the gold i earn doesnt even cover the cost to replace fallen crew. And this is when i just fire cannons, no boarding of cheeky stuff like that. So there is no way to make money doing mission atm witch has lead to the economy freeze cuase noby can afford buying anything. CREW PRIZE IS TOO DAMN HIGH!

Too-Damn-High.jpg

Have you read all the different ways of getting crew back - including for free? Check in this thread:

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/14416-crew-management-update-discussion/page-20#entry279055

Fargo    157

Can you specify this maybe to help possible adjusting? What ship did you use, what kind of mission, fleet ships?

I tested a few missions in 5th rates up to 1st rates myself, and i usually made profit after repair and crew refill:

135xp solo mission in Belle Poule, no fleet: 13k

152xp solo mission in Belle Poule, no fleet: 13k

169xp solo mission in Bellona, no fleet: 50k

152xp fleet mission in Bellona, no fleet: ~100k

169xp fleet mission in 1st rate, no fleet: ~150k

In the fleet missions it depends how many ships you get.

What i noticed is that for example fighting a trincomalee (152xp) wasnt more rewarding then fighting a renommee (135xp). Maybe this needs a bit tweaking. 

Edited by Fargo

Sharden    56

However the current price make is impossible to make any gold, if i do a misson all the gold i earn doesnt even cover the cost to replace fallen crew. And this is when i just fire cannons, no boarding of cheeky stuff like that. So there is no way to make money doing mission atm witch has lead to the economy freeze cuase noby can afford buying anything. CREW PRIZE IS TOO DAMN HIGH!

I can't attest to this. I am still making profit every mission, albeit it is much smaller than before the patch

I do always board the enemies in solo missions though.

Still i think the crew prices or crew replenishment system could be adjusted in some way

The Red Duke    6,298

Had 5 opponents today, 3 were traders that fought to the bitter end for... reasons. 2 were normal warships. All were engaged with rate below. Trader Snow with Pickle, LGV with 2 privateers, Essex with Snake Hvy and privateer, Trader Brig was simply "ganked" by 2 cruisers and a Snake, Renomee with 2 Snakes.

One had a Bottle... !!! The decks were awash with blood and guts from the Officer and full crew slain to a pulp defending the bottle...

Another had a few medikits. Again the Officer and crew were put to the musket ball and then to the sword. Why ?

The other was simply a fisherman. A repeat of the Medikit... so twice in the same evening letting the crew die and the Officer die ? Was even asked and explained but no idea if he had the chat open to other nations. But still was a fairly high rank.

Last one was a coast guard which attacked and then ran away in battle with no success preferring to fight to the bitter end, the Renomee.

The Essex had the decency to save his crew and his Officer surrendering given nothing at all was favourable for him to win comfortably.

Given these simple examples of one evening. What is more expensive then ? Your cargo ? A durability of your ship ? Or your Officer and crew ?

akd    2,622

Yes, there must be a period of...natural selection...before crew prices are adjusted in either direction.

redneck13265    10

I played a game called "Tortuga: Pirates Of The New World" and that game you have to manage crew money and your ship. also you had the risk of mutiny from your crew if you didnt pay them their share every once in a while and you could have 10 ships max in your fleet and you also had to make sure they had rum as well because no rum also leads to mutiny and doing battles your crew liked and prolonged the stages of mutiny. eventually they will start stealing your wealth and ships and your resources. so i have no problem with managing my crew. ive been doing fleet missions all day until prime time with just my two frigates in my crew while being in a connie and not have that much money issues because im still making a profit from battling and im doing ravanger missions too.

AusDV8    48

The current mechanic is a farce.

It is ruining the game as most people have gone fishing instead.

600 people on last night, 75 in battles - pathetic.

Previously I would see 300 people & 200 battles - this is a clear indication that it is a complete failure.

I like the idea of managing crew but the current mechanic is just another craft or die solution, put some more thought into these ideas or as usual the game will die.

Yes this will be bitterly bashed by the forum commoners but it is still a point to be made ... remember it is JUST A GAME!

Eishen    559

People will say crew prices are too high until they are reduced to the point of being irrelevant, at which point managing your crew just becomes a tiresome bother rather than a meaningful aspect of gameplay.

We are paying lifelong wages to crewmen who does not survive a month, as mortennielsen said

it means less boarding spam, and u need to be pretty wealthy to crew the big ships.  However the current price make is impossible to make any gold, if i do a misson all the gold i earn doesnt even cover the cost to replace fallen crew. 

100 crew casualties WINNING - as no ship surrender withouth being boarded is not an uncommon number - and makes 50k gold down the sink ... IA vessel being capturable again is mostly useless, as you are not going to recover crew cost..... even common "mission farming" is no good after you end  levelling (you can make virtually no better then even numbers or miserable profits) .... and this is with "cannon earning gold"  , a feature that is earmarked to be removed

Fishing madness maybe be sustainig the market ...as long as ports are not full of fish meat .... but regular markets (cost) are beginning to show deflation effects.  

PvE being non-profit can be seem as an advantage  for PvP-dedicated .....but PvP numbers are no joke , more ship casualties add to crew costs , once/if "gold by shooting" passes away hardcore PvPers can be playing accordion at docks entrance for some cash

IMO   crew should be payed as maintenance , keeping it as simple as posible.... as in example 1 gold/crewmen/day(game) payed each time you enter harbor entry (but with the numbers you LEFT port for as long as crew does not gain EXP).   Punishes big ships AND fleet .

The Red Duke    6,298

PvE is a game against the AI. The risk of assets loss is Very Low. There are no AI corsairs. This includes Missions and Events.

PvP is a different beast. The risk is real and the possibility of loss is 50% without considering anything else.

Maybe an adjustment is needed but not to a point where the crew costs cease to be remembered. They must be always present in the mind of the captain so he can make the decision... should I save the crew ?

Eishen    559

... They must be always present in the mind of the captain so he can make the decision... should I save the crew ?

agree, this is a feature of the current system that should be kept... the "perfect" way would be crew experience (as you do not want to lose officer skills points  you should want to maintain experience crew ) giving  improvement bonuses ,   lacking this, crew needs to have an initial non-irrelevant cost

The Red Duke    6,298

There's a pool of free crew that is never lost nor paid for and that is always guaranteed. I think it is (ir)relevant enough :)

Eishen    559

There's a pool of free crew that is never lost nor paid for and that is always guaranteed. I think it is (ir)relevant enough :)

Yes, 300 at max level If I am not too wrong. Maybe that is the point..everybody of a frigate , much of us rejpyce...but seems artificial enough for me

The Red Duke    6,298

Unsure about the numbers of crew, 300 seems indeed quite high IMO for a top rank... nevertheless given we have no Naval Board to judge all captain's gallant deeds, and therefore their worthiness for Rank advancement we have this artificial ruling regarding crew.

Seeing midshipmen running HMS Victory, doing missions, is more artificial than having a 300 free crew at Rear Admiral :D

Eishen    559

Seeing midshipmen running HMS Victory, doing missions, is more artificial than having a 300 free crew at Rear Admiral :D

it is.... but I have mixed feelings about minimal free crew , it is good for playabilyty not being "grounded" by curernt extreme crew cost, but if you are a "frigate man" it discards your fine point  about " must be always present in the mind of the captain so he can make the decision... should I save the crew ?"  ....as they are free to recover

The Red Duke    6,298

Ah ! I see what you mean. Hmmm...

Gonna throw a bomb... maybe "pay" that free crew with XP.... simulating "begging the navy board more young fellows for the meat grinder" ? ahahahah

Eishen    559

Ah ! I see what you mean. Hmmm...

Gonna throw a bomb... maybe "pay" that free crew with XP.... simulating "begging the navy board more young fellows for the meat grinder" ? ahahahah

brace for impact..... I do really like the idea of XP being "expendable" representing a kinf of   "variable reputation" or "current status" measure instead of a static experience (as currently on most games including this one)

Leku    208

Theres info @ landlording topic that keeping more ports and theirs sizes will have impact on crew restoration.
Im not even talking about medkits which every good organized clan should craft a lot. You are solo player? Ohnoes. Pay more. Teams will always have adventages against lonely players. Life.

tl:dr

Wait for landlording to be implemented and allow devs to fully test all mechanics related to crew managment. Stop being whiner and try to adapt.

Sail smaller ships, try to loose less crew, avoid bigger fights, shoot from longer distances, lots of possibilites to minimalize your looses.

Cheers

The Red Duke    6,298

Crew problems aside. Are you actually testing new ships? :D

I am always testing the ships. Lately been focused on the Pickle.

.The Blackbeard Snake aye .I reckon I seen my fair share of it. It appears on rare occasion. The last glimpse many a captain had amidst the gunpowder smoke, the grey flash shoots across the stern ...aye. Some go their whole lives without ever seeing it. Some claim to have seen it who ain't seen it...And some say...they seen it without claiming they did not...

No, I do not believe such tales Master Borch.

Too cheap!?

zC0k1Qp.gif

Im sure if u are flithy rich or what. But i roughly lose 100 crew in fleet missons ( 169 mission, sailing paval ) + then i have to pay for repairs witch is around 20 k = 70 k to do one mission 

I make between 70 - 100k doing those missons. So after proberly 1 hour sailing out to misson, playing it and comming back i have earned "if im lucky" 10 - 20 k

( i have gotte the office perk "thrifty" just so i dont have to pay for battle repairs, since before i also had to pay for them before putting the total cost up to 90 k )

Skully    1,012

☸ The whorehouses at Bonacca & Ile-A-Vache are open for business. Come get your seamen at 300/crew. WTS Medikit Large @ 45K (excl. 5% tax). Due to British seamen causing lots of stains on the map, an additional $2.5K is charged to British sailors. ☸

Edited by Skully