Game-Labs Forum

Domox's Fishing Sheet

Domox's Fishing Report

While working on some API processing scripts I made a quick sheet to summarize some of the fishing info we have available.

Odds
From what I can gather each type of catch has a weight, and considering all of the weights in the list, you will then be able to catch a certain minimum to maximum of it. I would like to point out that these percentages may be wrong, the odds are conjecture based on the types of numbers I saw in the parsed data and from personal experience fishing like crazy these past few days.

Bodies of Water
The map has three bodies of water.
- Atlantic
- Gulf
- Carribbean

Biomes
Each body has four biomes. Each biome's diversity varies from body to body.
- Shore
- Reefs
- Bays
- Offshore

I'm compiling several charts now with what I think is the distribution of the population of the various fish (including bottles) for each body/biome.

Google Spreadsheet

Enjoy!

Edited by Domox
  • Like 3

Looks very interesting.  I actually sent in a F11 bug report last night after spending the entire day (20 game days) at sea off the East Coast fishing and not finding a single sealed bottle.  I had 3,111 fish meat when done after selling off the Bullsharks and made a fair amount of gold selling it all at a consumption port that wasn't saturated.  I tried varying speeds, varying directions (north/south, east/west, northeast/southwest, circles(umm not what you think)etc), varying locations, but no success. 

Dedication? Insanity? Who can tell...

• Like 1

Dunno what they did with the bottles. Sailed with a mate yesterday side by side in OW. He picked up two bottles. I didn't any  :(

I find it amusing that a single eel or a shark will sell for 5000 gold... Surely the economy of the time wouldn't pay such outlandish prices for a fish! Even prime grade fresh sashimi doesn't sell for that much today - with inflated $$$, too!

1979 Montauk Tuna Season, one elderly couple in a Boston Whaler caught a single fish sold for 65,000 dollars.

If you think that's nuts, Scallops are landing for $15.50 a pound shucked and selling over 21

I sailed out into the Atlantic, and into the Caribbean, I went from La Mona to Couracou, with lot's of branching, I caught thousands of pounds of fish, all in three days.

Not. One. Single. Bottle.

I was sailing in a group with a buddy and he picked up three in an afternoon. My luck is out. LOL

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen, I'm sorry to report that I just caught the last sealed bottle, with a congratulatory note that says, "This is the last bottle. Go get your platinum marines that award you with 500% marines on your ship."

Now you may return to fighting. Thank you developers, for the wonderful time we had catching bottles.

• Like 4

bottles are RNG

you either are luck. or you aint.

you can find 10 in an hour (not very realistic) or you wont find any in 10 days.

same with theblueprints.

RNGesus giveth, RNGses taketh

Than I'm screwed cause since I switched from playing on EU to US I have yet to get a BP from crafting or breaking a ship apart.  I pretty much gave up trying to craft on this server cause of it.  Wish your BP's carried over with your crafting level.

• 4 weeks later...

it would be nice to have a map for where to find any certain fish especially those which you can sell in ports that consumes raw fish...

1) One grid south east (more to south side of grid box) of Little Cayman - Large Oceanic Manta Ray, Flying Fish, Tuna, Dorado

2) Between 1st and 2nd cove (closer to 1st cove) just north of Sunbury - Smoothe Hammerhead shark, Bull shark (picked up 2 of each at once - one time)

3) Between Cabo Canaveral and Neuva Smyrna, within 1st grid off coast, closer to Canaveral: Eel

4) 1 box South of Cocodrillio, more to south east side of grid: Tuna, Dorado, Hammerhead, Oceanic manta ray, Bull shark

* I seem to hit these fish more times that not, when in these areas.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that you will catch more Dorado and Tuna way off shore in deep water. Same goes for Bull Sharks, Hammerhead and Giant Manta Ray, you wont catch these in shallower waters. Just offshore you will only catch smaller fish. Bottles can be caught anywhere, but they are now rarer, since the last patch. The only fish I haven't caught so far is an Eel.

The best fish to catch are Tuna & Dorado as each one of these, convert into 5 & 15 fish portions respectively. I have done very well out of fishing and made quite a lot of gold from it. You need to spend a bit more sea time and travel around the map if you want to make good money from fishing. 

• Like 3

Im doing a map of fishing, using the empiric process, as i sail around the sea. Maybe it can complement or help your job. In time, i hope to have all map covered.

My sealed bottles are mapped too (another map) and confirming the spreadsheat (shores, specially around the main NPC trading routes)

http://mapmaker.nationalgeographic.org/di5g1pYNdSqBiz60ufQyrH/?bookmark=gHG9YFPDxfjIuq6FyOl1fG

Bottles can be caught anywhere, but they are now rarer, since the last patch. 

I'm not so sure about this. Yesterday I fished up a bottle while going to a mission, then came up with another bottle while returning to port (after looting the first wreck), and then came up with a third bottle while taking a frigate on a long-range (about 50 minutes) trip to a remote outpost of mine. Today I moved a different ship to the outpost for some trader hunting and was surprised to find yet another bottle in the hold when I arrived at my destination (the joys of afk sailing). My luck with bottles has never been this good before.

Edited by Stewart Latham