Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cmdr RideZ

Boarding OP or not?

boarding is OP and is a "I Win button" with proper fittings

It will be addressed because I Win buttons must not exist.

I wish all people carried some marines. Just carry some marines if you cant seem to manage to stay out of boarding situations. Its not that hard and all you need to survive and disengage most ships.

You cannot avoid boarding any more. Any time they have at least one more ship than you, it is impossible to keep good sails and speed to stay away from them. It is also simply ridiculous to see boardings end in 1 or 2 moves.

The number of kills that these op mods generate are way out of hand. It's almost as ridiculous as driving a KV-2 in a tier 1 match. What fun is it for anyone? And if anyone does get fun out of a 100% chance to win boarding, then they obviously have issues and need to play a 1-shot-1-kill game....one that this game is not supposed to be.

As noted, even with both ships carrying same fittings, ping / twitch reflexes becomes "I win" button.  How can this be addressed?

Here is my idea 

Game-labs owns Gettysburg- Ultimate General

Use that style of real time over head battle similar to what wind is showing above. GL already own the game and all the coding and rights to it just blend them a little so when you go into boarding you get a little real time strategy fight. With your boarding units and gun crews and some micro management.  

They can simply take 2 actual ship models (ships that are engaged in boarding) and place camera in top view. Trim sails and add little guys (marines, sailors etc..) Simple animation , smoke etc... I think it will be the best shot for this game. Add 1-6 planks for moving from ship to ship. This will depend on ship size. Also, some sailors can use ropes and hooks to board enemy ship. 

Here is some nice review with details:

http://www.old-games.com/download/6358/corsairs-conquest-at-sea

people refuse to use marins on their ships and refuse to learn how to do boarding mini game. Its not that hard. People sailing 40/50% marins will sail horribly. People posting on here being ganked 5 to 1 and complaining boarding is op is rather silly. Try harder people. Devs want to nerf boarding? Fine by me. But people crying over something that can be easily avoidable with green marines (20%) and maybe baricades (melee defence) and boarding axes (faster breaking away) or another nice boarding mod. The the ball really is in your court.  Remove all gold marines? Fine by me.

p.s. does that old games website actually work? it has alot of games but do they work on windows 10?

Edited by Chromey

people refuse to use marins on their ships and refuse to learn how to do boarding mini game. Its not that hard. People sailing 40/50% marins will sail horribly. People posting on here being ganked 5 to 1 and complaining boarding is op is rather silly. Try harder people. Devs want to nerf boarding? Fine by me. But people crying over something that can be easily avoidable with green marines (20%) and maybe baricades (melee defence) and boarding axes (faster breaking away) or another nice boarding mod. The the ball really is in your court.  Remove all gold marines? Fine by me.

p.s. does that old games website actually work? it has alot of games but do they work on windows 10?

yes, but download speed is slow unless u pay $5. I might leave laptop overnight and then share on Dropbox for everyone. 

Just another point I'd like to make, if it has not been made already, is there should be a limit to the number of combatants either ship can bring to bear at any given time. For example, If a 4th rate initiates boarding versus most 5th rates you simply are limited by the amount of space there is to even get onto the smaller vessel. The larger ship might have 400 crew but all 400 could not get onto the other ship at once. I would rather see a system where the numerical advantage was expressed in number of available "waves" or "reinforcements" that could be used to hopefully win the engagement in part due to attrition.

You simply could not get the 400 men into direct combat at once versus an enemy and neither could the defender for that matter. They should be sent over in waves each round so that if an attacker is winning he can continue to bring over more reinforcements and start to increase his total number of combatants on an enemy ship. I would think in real life you would almost be establishing a "beachhead" that would enable the force to cross and reinforce the assault element....the defenders would be trying to prevent the establishment of this as well as disengage from the enemy. I'd love to see a system that helps reflect something like this....not just 400 vs 250 with 120 muskets versus 70 etc.

They can simply take 2 actual ship models (ships that are engaged in boarding) and place camera in top view. Trim sails and add little guys (marines, sailors etc..) Simple animation , smoke etc... I think it will be the best shot for this game. Add 1-6 planks for moving from ship to ship. This will depend on ship size. Also, some sailors can use ropes and hooks to board enemy ship. 

Here is some nice review with details:

http://www.old-games.com/download/6358/corsairs-conquest-at-sea

Easier to get it here:

https://www.gog.com/game/corsairs_gold

Got some small problems on modern pc's but its playable. Its a great game but if boarding would be made like in corsairs then both players would end up waiting on their own ship until the end of time :)

As noted, even with both ships carrying same fittings, ping / twitch reflexes becomes "I win" button.  How can this be addressed?

Change the game type from turn based Rock/Paper/Scissors, to a flowing battle with multiple moves going on at the same time.

For example, use similar mechanics that the Sail/Guns/Survival/Prep for crew assignment. You assign priority to Deck Guns/ Muskets/Grenades/Attack/.

Each crew can also be set to brace or defend, which is what they do once they hit full preparation until used, and the running level of preparation defines their vulnerability while it is under way. It takes re-preparation time of 50% of current preparation to switch, and either state is invisible to the opponent.

Then each of those has a re-load/prepare time just like cannons.

Depending on how far around the preparation phase, and how many people are assigned to each task, and what defensive stance is toggled, resolves how many are killed when the enemy triggers one of his assignments.

So assume both sides are fully prepared.

The enemy fires muskets into the entire crew.

The whole crew was on brace, so very little damage was done, and you know the musket crews are susceptible to deck guns, so you fire deck guns in response, and the muskets in the middle of preparation are badly hurt.  

But he knows because of how few crew were lost to the muskets, you must be focused heavily on brace, so he orders an attack.

Now you don't have time to switch to defense, but he has two crews on preparation, which is the ideal time to use your grenades, so you do.

During this time the crew not prepared are preparing, and filling in the gaps caused by the previous casualties.

That would probably go a long way to fix the "I win" button play, and reliance on just reflexes.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

Easier to get it here:

https://www.gog.com/game/corsairs_gold

Got some small problems on modern pc's but its playable. Its a great game but if boarding would be made like in corsairs then both players would end up waiting on their own ship until the end of time :)

With much faster pace and more speed it's a great concept. 

But people crying over something that can be easily avoidable with green marines (20%) and maybe baricades (melee defence) and boarding axes (faster breaking away) or another nice boarding mod. The the ball really is in your court.  Remove all gold marines? Fine by me.

If it is that easy, then gankers would be using only green marines.

It is nearly impossible to escape 3+ gankers ripping your sails apart with the op chainshot. Ppl have only 1 sail repair. And most of the ppl getting ganked are not in gold ships with all the needed slots to have anti-boarding upgrades.

I do not believe gold marines should be removed, but rather everything needs reduces a few percentages. 400+ crew being killed in one click even tho the correct counter was used is ridiculous. End of story.

Stop whine. Ethernal whining starts from ganking, then switch to chaining, then switch to boarding, then switch to grape and stern decrew or mastfall.

Half of game doesn't let you win alone vs 3, other half doesn't let you escape alone from 3. Are we suppose to play kindergarten or what? Take responsibility finally for sailing alone or being noob, or whatever. It is not game fault, that you are victim in this life =\

Edited by Amonacc

Stop whine. Ethernal whining starts from ganking, then switch to chaining, then switch to boarding, then switch to grape and stern decrew or mastfall.

Half of game doesn't let you win alone vs 3, other half doesn't let you escape alone from 3. Are we suppose to play kindergarten or what? Take responsibility finally for sailing alone or being noob, or whatever. It is not game fault, that you are victim in this life =\

Ganker say something :D  yes its true any gankers have same strategi.. mast crew ....

i realy need see how Brigs ship reduce crew big battle ship :D its .... BS

Trimming your ship for manouvering and reload (actual combat!) there is usually no place for marines and nobody should be forced to equip them. The minigame does not help you, even if you manage to get some preperation and to defend the attacks you just loose very fast without marines. Ships with marines do not sail horrible and reloadtime does not matter that much while they dont aim to kill you with cannons.

A good way to defend is to learn avoiding fast ships trying to turn you into the wind. Often this ships are kinda weak and you can sink them quite fast. You can do this by turning them into the wind, or making them overshoot (while watching your speed!). Even if their br is a little bit higher you can win the fight.

But this has nothing to do with the actual boarding mechanics. The point is that even ships with less then half your crew are able to capture your ship without any shots fired, by hitting one button in a minigame. No graping, no skill requiered. This is just abuse of unfinished game mechanics and should be stopped.

First you have to have the drop of whatever colour of Marines, Rare as rocking horse Poo! make them Trainable or an automatic addition, Having said that they say they are going to change boarding I wait with held breath (Quick Dev's I cannot hold it to long) :o . Still love the game hate the boarding.

The point is that even ships with less then half your crew are able to capture your ship without any shots fired, by hitting one button in a minigame. No graping, no skill requiered. This is just abuse of unfinished game mechanics and should be stopped.

Wanna look, how exactly you will win fight without any shots fired) Maybe if some dumbass will start battle near you with his noose in red. Then, well, it's not your problem)

Now we need a magician, who will fix that Sauron evil project. But true is that magician and Sauron is same person xD.

Yesterday we had fight with trinco and surprise dudes, where trinco was quite good, if you ask me. At least he was good in counter-boarding sailing, damaging my hull. I tried to board that dude on his 78% sails and still he avoid it twice. It was Master commander on grey ship.

If that captain able to use his brains as he suppose to, I suggest whiners here just burn themselve.

Edited by Amonacc

Wanna look, how exactly you will win fight without any shots fired) Maybe if some dumbass will start battle near you with his noose in red. Then, well, it's not your problem)

Now we need a magician, who will fix that Sauron evil project. But true is that magician and Sauron is same person xD.

Yesterday we had fight with trinco and surprise dudes, where trinco was quite good, if you ask me. At least he was good in counter-boarding sailing, damaging my hull. I tried to board that dude on his 78% sails and still he avoid it twice. It was Master commander on grey ship.

If that captain able to use his brains as he suppose to, I suggest whiners here just burn themselve.

yes, imagine how that fight would have turned out if your sole goal wasnt to bypass that combat in lieu of the mini game? my god you'd have to actually fight then

yes, imagine how that fight would have turned out if your sole goal wasnt to bypass that combat in lieu of the mini game? my god you'd have to actually fight then

Fight is boring. It's to long and armor bypass depended. Actually that dude was doomed, once he choose to damage hull, instead of sails, no matter what build I got on my ship, but still he had enough brain to make counter-boarding actions. For a minute, I damaged his sails to 66% and he used repair on 70% before. We both where fighting each other, but in different way. That kill doesn't fall on my head just from heaven.

Add to it a point, where I choose to use boarding build instead of fighter build. Using first one I won't fight as fighter and will fight, as boarder. It means my goal rly depends from ship I use and visa versa. So my fight can't be turned in other way, bc it will be uneffective on that ship.

First, it is matter of time, second - matter of online players. Killing with boarding is faster. Killing with boarding gives you ability to be usefull or powerfull vs bigger ships. Killing with boarding also could give you ship itself, instead of just putting it underwater. If it is 1st rate - it is great reward, but pvp money from sinking is shit reward :) So at the end killing with boarding is good option. Is it OP? Well, it is OP (faster) than UP(slower) general sinking. If you successfully board someone without marines he is dead, if his comrades doesn't help him out. Comrades usually doesn't bother with that, I know. Or you just catch one more noob, etc. Some guys isn't noobs, and they are sure they could win duel with boarding ship. We even got person who want fight duel with boarder with 5 billion gold reward for winner. Seriously. If you want, you could try. I think it won't be big trouble to board him, since boarding is OP :)

My opinion is, boarding is good so far, bc general sinking is too long, to cheep etc. But boarding isn't uncounterable at all. Moreover, boarding ship have few rly annoying vulnerabilities, which could be used to kill him easily. But whining is always easier, than brainwork.

We have now very low online among russian-speakers in Danemark. Sad, but true. So we can operate with group of 2-4 man in our clan. Poor. Going to Jamaica for fun and pvp will be worst idea ever, if we won't have at least one boarding ship. Now I'm afraid devs will nerf it to the death, as they usually do. But boarding itself is root of another tactic and ship another way use. I love surprise - it is good ship. But what devs did to make it usefull? :) Well, it definitelly have use in boarding cow-ships by mistake they will fix :D Ironic, if you ask me.

Good idea for devs could be making some tournament between boarders and fighters by duels or small group fights. I'm sure, it will throw a bit light to question, is boarding OP or not ;D

Edited by Amonacc

devs added determind defender so you ned 40% more crew to board ships. Grape does hardly half the damage it used to. Seems all you brainless players who cannot manage to sail faster then 3.5 knots win. GG

ps. any fool complaining about being boarded when out numbered is just that a plain fool.

Edited by Chromey

You dont get my point. Im just talking about the minigame. In this minigame you can easily kill a Bellona with your boarding fitted Frigate, without the need of skill or graping (no shots fired). We dont have to discuss if this is op or not... What the enemy is able to do to avoid your boarding actions has nothing to do with this.

Of course boarding should be a strong mechanic, but it should require both skill in sailing as well as in the minigame. With marines you skip both of these aspects, boarding fitted ships immediately try to ram or turn you into the wind. If they got you once, its just over. Well, personally i never lost a ship to this brainless boarding attempts, but its just darn stupid, really, how can this be fun for you?!

Just have a look on the people complaining that boarding is impossible now, they probably havent even heard of "grapeshot" before?!

The defender perk is killing all boarding.

It would make more sense if it gave combat bonus during boarding or only required to have more crew the the one with the perk.

As a counterbalance I would suggest to nerf some boarding upgrades. Grog rations as an example are way to op and must have on any boarder. also I dont see the need for marines to be 2x as good as a normal sailor in melee, maybe 1,5 would suffice

Ships with marines do not sail horrible and reloadtime does not matter that much while they dont aim to kill you with cannons.

I guess you never sailed a boarding ship. You can't fight in a gun fight with a boarding ship.

Someone here offered a 1 mil for a duel with a boarding ship. I can offer more. I can duel a fully equipped boarding Constitution with my non-boarding Constitution. If I loose, I will pay 5 million. If I win, I will get 1 mil.

Recently I fought in a Consti against a Consti, Trinco and a Renomme. Consti and Reno boarding-equipped, Trinco grey. They didn't manage to board me. After destroying all of their sails, I escaped.

I guess you never sailed a boarding ship. You can't fight in a gun fight with a boarding ship.

Thats why its called boarding ship i suppose;)