Game-Labs Forum

marines and what could be.......

how about not a percentage of crew but a steady increase in quality of the marines themselves

for instance common marines  as they are now

marine percentage 0.2

marine level  1

marine melee modifier 1

firepower modifier 0.1

common marines in my suggestion

marines percentage 0.1

marine level 2

marine melee modifier 2

firepower modifier 0.2

and so on and so forth all the way up to exceptional that way marines is a viable option for all ships and not just for trade capturing or just one guy to board in a group.

When the crew hiring patch comes in, you will be able to hire marines so the marines module will probably be removed when the patch hits, so i wouldnt expect any changes to the marines modules.

edit: i was corrected by admin, i was partially correct:

correction

marines will stay like now for a couple of weeks after crew hire patch - it will require more rework

i think the good basic change would be adding a hard limit to marines number

for example 50% of crew but not more than 250 in number. 

• Like 2

When the crew hiring patch comes in, you will be able to hire marines so the marines module will probably be removed when the patch hits, so i wouldnt expect any changes to the marines modules.

Sound good.

• Like 1

correction

marines will stay like now for a couple of weeks after crew hire patch - it will require more rework

• Like 2

correction

While I agree with a hard number 50% of teh crew is just to much.... but that is just me... a captian would never reduce his sailing and gunnery abilites like that without orders from much higher in the navy

As far as I remember Marines were always ADDED to the naval crew of a ship. They never reduced the crew size with their presence. They always had their own (sleeping) area below deck between officer's/captain's cabin and crew deck.

Therefore the total crew of a ship was always: Naval Crew (Officers/Sailors) plus Marines and not Naval Crew minus Marines

As far as I remember Marines were always ADDED to the naval crew of a ship. They never reduced the crew size with their presence. They always had their own (sleeping) area below deck between officer's/captain's cabin and crew deck.

Therefore the total crew of a ship was always: Naval Crew (Officers/Sailors) plus Marines and not Naval Crew minus Marines

Very True... and there is only so much extra room on the ship.. as the Devs have showed us via Crew Space and Extra Hammocks... :)

I agree 50% Marines to crew is not historical for naval ships. Do we need to consider still, additional crew/boarders for letter of marque and if we still have them pirate vessels ?

Each rate of naval ship and I believe your rank entitled you to a compliment of marines and suitable ranked marine officers. As the rate of ship increased so too did the compliment and rank of its officers.

However the ability, morale and musketry of a crew and its marines could be varying in quality. Without extensive training and exercising all of these skills would be green.

I would like to see numbers remain historical within the game and allow quality options or 'special orders' to give players the ability to decide what modifiers they can apply.

For numbers you really have to consider as has already been mentioned above, that ships fitted out for long cruises simply did not have extra room within the hulls to carry dozens or more of extra men, be they marines or sailors. At least not without it effecting the fighting ability of the ship. (Deck space given over to extra crew or marines, could only be made by removing cannon)