Game-Labs Forum

Food supplies - advanced warning

Thank you Captain

So i suggest to all who want to refill the food in the ship every 6 months to answer honestly (ship could carry up to 6 months of supply)

what is a chance that you will lose all 5 durabilities during 60 hours?

And do you really think we should waste man months to code something that will be clicked once every 60 hours?

If we do provisions realistically it becomes a fake feature (average hours for an average player is 19 hours during last 2 weeks)

Average player wont even use it 

in our design provisions serve one purpose - bring maintenance of lineships to their historically appropirate levels

and provide options for traders, crafters and fishers.

so we make ship builders supply the ship for you 60 hour journey with food (in addition to everything else)

that's it

because to our opinion its not fun to return somewhere to just click a button (i now have the same view on repair kits - which just force you to return to port to click a button - there is no strategy there)

We suggest to all disappointed captains to check the math again - maybe me and darby missed something

and instead of feeling disappointed to actually provide SOUND arguments to counter our logic 

and provide ideas on making provisions fun 

and explain why should i come back to port once every unrealistic _____ insert days at sea here to click a button

also explain why food should not be eaten when i log off

and maybe explain why keep double standards and not implement medicine, powder, cannoballs, chainshot,  forcing you to probably sail less constantly returning to ports after a series of good fights

why don't we also split repairs into planks, plugs and sails.. and actually make you repair constantly while you have those supplies ?

I'm going to guess that adding a one or two new commods, and then editing the BP formulas is pretty light work to add detail.

If there was a possible scarcity of rations and such, even in the construction phase, then it would serve the same purpose as Red Wood Logs does.

(I really liked the "Furnishings" detail on higher end ships BTW).

If that is the case then I don't really know why you even asked us louts, just pull the trigger and get it done when you think it's appropriate.  

Lets say our in game 24 hours is 20 mins in real time

Can you count how much real time is ingame 6 months for me please?

So we can see how many ingame days you can sail without refill

Well you could consider making it a week cycle instead of a day cycle, one week = 20 minutes. 6 months would be 8 hours and that sounds like a reasonable period of time for a ship on a voyage.

But again I am fine with the current decision but it does matter to crafters more. Also some people here need to read the first post slowly. :wacko:

Well you could consider making it a week cycle instead of a day cycle, one week = 20 minutes. 6 months would be 8 hours and that sounds like a reasonable period of time for a ship on a voyage.

and why should we do that?

Should we then also adjust ship speeds, turn rates and reload rates accordingly? Multiplying everything by 7?

:)

I dont want to return to port for food because i know when i sailed our the first day i had 6 months worth of supply. I can sail for 180 days non - stop. And 180 days is A LOT.  

If you want to try your proposal try testing it with repairs. Take 1 repair kit instead of 25 and lets see your feelings after 15 battles. (ps we seriously think about rethinking refilling repair kits as they bring no value in long term gameplay and forces you to click once in port and then 2 times after every battle on OW)

Thank you Captain

So i suggest to all who want to refill the food in the ship every 6 months to answer honestly (ship could carry up to 6 months of supply)

What is a chance that you will lose all 5 durabilities during 60 hours?

And do you really think we should waste man months to code something that will be clicked once every 60 hours?

If we do provisions realistically it becomes a fake feature (average hours in game for an average player is 19 hours during last 2 weeks)

This means an average player wont even use it. You will also not use it once in a month if you play 2 hours per day EVERY DA. So whats the point and why the disappointment?

in our design provisions serve one purpose -

• bring maintenance of line ships to their historically appropriate levels
  • and provide more options for traders, crafters and fishers.

so we make ship builders supply the ship for you 60 hour journey with food (in addition to everything else)

that's it

because to our opinion its not fun to return somewhere to just click a button (i now have the same view on repair kits - which just force you to return to port to click a button) there is no strategy there

We suggest to all disappointed captains to check the math again - maybe me and darby missed something

1. and instead of feeling disappointed to actually provide SOUND arguments to counter our logic 
  2. and provide ideas on making provisions fun 
  3. and explain why should i come back to port once every unrealistic _____ insert days at sea here to click a button
  4. also explain why food should not be eaten when i log off
  5. and maybe explain why keep double standards and not implement medicine, powder, cannoballs, chainshot,  forcing you to probably sail less constantly returning to ports after a series of good fights
  6. why don't we also split repairs into planks, plugs and sails.. and actually make you repair constantly while you have those supplies ?

What reason is there to want to introduce maintenance costs in the game?

That in the age of sail, the cost of ships in service was as expensive as you build them.
It makes no sense that a player can have 40 ships in their outposts and that is free.

It is necessary to establish a maintenance cost for ships, but the important thing is not to complicate the game too.

Tip: Set a daily fee for each ship (with a price for each class), this rate is automatically paid each day the player enters the game (once per day). If the player has no money to pay, boats are inactive (in the reserve) and can not be used that day.
The player always has at least one active ship. The smallest or basic cutter.

This fee is an abstraction that includes maintenance costs (food, ammunition, medicines, spare parts, etc).
Thus, each player must think very carefully com few ships need, without accumulating useless ships.
And so first-class ships will mean a heavy burden for those who do not really need or do not use them.

Sorry for my translator´s english.....
Edited by Halsey74
  • Like 1

thats not a fishing boat

fishing was common on all vessels

those guys are fishing of the heavy frigate of 46 guns

I take this as a silent confirmation ,that we won't see the profession of a fischerman in the game ;)

That's a pity. The food supplies could consist of different types of fish and other food (though I think nobody wants to be a farmer in this game :D). Fishermen could provide those fishes. Well, fish wasn't the favorite dish among sailors anyway.

Or do I read everything wrong and it is your intention, that food supplies consists of different types of fish?

in our design provisions serve one purpose - bring maintenance of lineships to their historically appropirate levels

and provide options for traders, crafters and fishers.

Edited by Cecil Selous
  • Like 1

....though I think nobody wants to be a farmer in this game :D ...

I want to be a tobacco farmer and sell my crops at ungodly markups to the crews and officers we are now going to furnish.

Then go into the OW, steal their shps and take my crop back and sell it again. ;)

Edited by Jean Ribault

Well i assume that 180 days worth of food would cost a lot on a line ship with 800 people on it :) So it could be a choice of a player, do i just spend a fortune to fill this Victory with 200 tons of biscuits and give 0 fu...s for 20 hours and risk loosing the said fortune if i get sunk 1 hour into the game? Or am i a cheap ass and only refill my food stores when my sailors are on the brink of starvation. + There's quite a good area to play with crew morale on this. Im fairly certain that a crew whos rations only include a few dried up biscuits each day would not be in such high spirits ass a crew who has bread, pickled meat or even livestock in their rations.  

• Like 2

Well i assume that 180 days worth of food would cost a lot on a line ship with 800 people on it :) So it could be a choice of a player, do i just spend a fortune to fill this Victory with 200 tons of biscuits and give 0 fu...s for 20 hours and risk loosing the said fortune if i get sunk 1 hour into the game? Or am i a cheap ass and only refill my food stores when my sailors are on the brink of starvation. + There's quite a good area to play with crew morale on this. Im fairly certain that a crew whos rations only include a few dried up biscuits each day would not be in such high spirits ass a crew who has bread, pickled meat or even livestock in their rations.  

+1  Tie food stores into morale.  Nice game dependency IMO.

• Like 1

truely makes sense.  depending on implimitation could be good.  obviously, probably wont hit the nail on the head on the first shot.  so it will be a good thing to work through.  also would take cargo space i'd assume.  maybe open up options for mods and upgrades that increase cargo hold.

looking forward to these changes.

I want to be a tobacco farmer and sell my crops at ungodly markups to the crews and officers we are now going to furnish.

Then go into the OW, steal their shps and take my crop back and sell it again. ;)

I can already see your additional coca fields. That's some serious cartel business. I bet you are hoarding hemp too :)

• Like 1

What reason is there to want to introduce maintenance costs in the game?

That in the age of sail, the cost of ships in service was as expensive as you build them.
It makes no sense that a player can have 40 ships in their outposts and that is free.

It is necessary to establish a maintenance cost for ships, but the important thing is not to complicate the game too.

Tip: Set a daily fee for each ship (with a price for each class), this rate is automatically paid each day the player enters the game (once per day). If the player has no money to pay, boats are inactive (in the reserve) and can not be used that day.
The player always has at least one active ship. The smallest or basic cutter.

This fee is an abstraction that includes maintenance costs (food, ammunition, medicines, spare parts, etc).
Thus, each player must think very carefully com few ships need, without accumulating useless ships.
And so first-class ships will mean a heavy burden for those who do not really need or do not use them.

Sorry for my translator´s english.....

And costs are going to have to undergo a MAJOR balance pass once they stop giving damage=print money gold.

If that's coming all bets are off on what anything is worth.  Right now you MAKE money just fighting, even if you lose.  

With that change there is going to be a major shift in the price of everything.

I can already see your additional coca fields. That's some serious cartel business. I bet you are hoarding hemp too :)

Hmm, if I let the cat out of the bag, you will hunt me.  Part of being a smart trader is avoiding your cunning inquisitions and telling you instead that I'm hoarding....uh.....fir logs.  Yeah that's it, fir logs.

Wait, or was it pine, I can't remember now.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

Hello Captains

We wanted to give a heads up about the forthcoming change in regards to provisions.

In the age of sail ships were usually supplied with 3-6 months of provisions.

In game terms it means that by the time you lost your ship you will still have enough provisions. We wanted to eliminate unnecessary hassle of constantly refilling provisions for active pvp or pve players, but wanted to add it as a resource to bring ship role of ship maintenance and crew to more historical levels (compared to ship building costs).

Thus

• New resource will be added to the game - Food supplies
  • Food supplies will be added to ship crafting blueprints
  • The amount of food supplies will be based on ship max possible crew
  • Food supplies will be available in all ports
  • Players will be able to produce food supplies cheaper than they are available from NPCs by several means.

Discuss

Given normal at sea times of 2-7 days at sea seems like a waste of coders time....  when much more important things need work.

• bring maintenance of line ships to their historically appropriate levels

except it`s not really maintenance, it`s basic cost to build the ship....

maybe that`s good for the crafters, but as i see it, crafting is done, right now anyway, in either closed loop(in a clan) or by single player... either way it doesn`t really promote more trading, it`s just one more layer.

Anyway will wait and see i guess... I don`t think it`s a game breaking change (and i don`t think anyone in here tought that)

IMHO to help the traders and crafter, some kind of private contract or supply missions would make it more interesting than just more ressources to gather.

So a one off item used only in blueprints and produced by ports but also by players......in the current world a pretty nothing change so whatever.

I really do think you have to get away from this port production stuff and make it a full player economy or else there is no money in resources.

I would much rather see it be a consumable, with various different supplies you can place on the ship, in differing amounts.

Hardtack; cheapest, lasts forever, but crew don't like it; their morale will slowly deplete when out at sea.

Grain; cheap, made into bread onboard ship, lasts forever, offers no stat boosts; this is the "standard" food.

Citrus fruit; expensive, slight boost to morale, without it crew health deteriates over time (scurvy), making them weaker in battle, and possibly leading to "deaths" (incapacitated by illness) in extreme cases. Has a shelf life of however long fresh fruit lasts.

Jerky; expensive, lasts forever, provides a slight boost to morale.

Live meat; very expensive, lasts forever, but takes up some cargo space and consumes grain. Provides a good boost to morale. Is lost if grain runs out.

All stats are reset to base level when returning to port. Any crew who are left unused in port for more than a couple of in-game days are given a temporary "shore leave" boost to morale when you set sail again.

Hardtack and grain would be available at every port. The rest would be available in the same way as resources are.

• Like 1

Personally, I do not understand how a one time additional resource to the building of a ship is going to change anything at all in the long run that can't be changed just be changing the costs and availability of say.. frame parts. It honestly feels pointless and does nothing to influence the long term costs of operating larger and larger ships, once built it is said and done and does not become a maintenance burden for a clan or player.

LanderD, from the devs post

• New resource will be added to the game - Food supplies
  • Food supplies will be added to ship crafting blueprints
  • The amount of food supplies will be based on ship max possible crew
  • Food supplies will be available in all ports
  • Players will be able to produce food supplies cheaper than they are available from NPCs by several means.

• Like 1

How does this add anything interesting or enjoyable for the player? It's simply a way of shifting around build cost rather than adding a potentially engaging mechanic which could impact how we play the game, boring.

You have the opportunity to add a victualling mechanic which could have synergy with the proposed crew mechanics... run out of supplies and you begin to lose crew etc. The change as proposed seems pointless, just rebalance other mats if you don't want to give us something better.

Edited by Ratline
  • Like 2