Game-Labs Forum

Food supplies - advanced warning

I do not see the need for this at all. I seriously think it's a waist of time an developer resources. Why do you even bother with a small annoying details as this when you have so many needed content patches on the way!? If you want to add stuff just because you like to add stuff, give us new ships! Focus on the big picture and stop adding stuff that do not give a fun bonus. The developer that came up with this idea should only get cold coffee for the rest of this month!

Yes this escalated a bit, but I would like to see that you are still focusing on the other aspects of the game, like for example the boring port battles, the need for diplomacy or the massive pirate nation.

Sorry if this was to harsh, but i doubt that food supplies will help the game right now. Food supply sound's to me like something you can save for when you are doing the last finishing touch on the game.   

I hope we reach this.

2708_16031_1_pinciano_ElBombardeoDeArgel

Lots of tiny pieces that look odd on their own.

I hope :)

• Like 1

I am uncertain there is benefit at this time adding to a ships initial build cost, unless adding provisions into initial ship cost is a way of getting it into the game for future tweaks and  maintenance features.

My personal view would be to add a moneysink at each port you land at to top-up supplies for your vessel/crew size depending on the length of voyage(In game time) between port visits. I dislike an afk/real time timer method, as casual players with limited time in game to earn funds will be adversely effected especially if crew morale and fitness are also effected.

Whilst i applaud any advance the devs can make in the game, adding an extra build component which increases the complexity of the resource gathering part of the game isn't in my opinion a game changer when other areas would perhaps feel a greater benefit from the devs hours. Just my humble opinion.

Reads like this is really just a tweak to the Econ game. Expanding the resource and materials markets.

Don't think it's going to effect most of the players in this forum other than maybe putting one or two more cargo ships on the sea to be attacked. So this will be better judged/tested by the Econ minded players as this change mostly only effects them. On the plus side it creates new markets for players to get into. On the negative side it will make it a little harder for solo ship builders. But that is also a plus as solo ship building tends to be an overall negative on the game economy. Should be interesting.

If you want to add it as more than simply part of the ship building process, add it in as a cost to hire crew as well.

When replacing crew it costs gold and supplies. Also no consumption once purchased. Considered as part of the lifetime cost of a crew member.

If you added player made BP's for repair kits, and include food supplies as part of those as well, you would add in at least "some" of the ongoing supply "realism".

im utterly confused....

So this will be

-a component on the blueprint, like carriage

-wil be craftable

-will also be a ressource from port

-wont deplete in time

What gameplay element does this add, other then another another layer for crafters. If we just want to make ship more expensive, just add some kind of tax to the crafter, that will be passed down to the ship buyer...

I must agree with this sentiment, I haven't read through the whole thread...but apart from making the cost to build a ship a bit more, what is this supposed to accomplish in the immediate time?

Yes, but why not add it as one time permanent ingredient when building a ship. Use it the same way you are trying to implement provisions. Pay once and it will last until player sinks. Currently, ammo is magically produced by someone. Measure it not by amount of cannonballs, but it's place on the recipe list. Simple ammo ingredient won't hurt anyone. 

But what would the point be?

Does any kind of "produced once, included forever" component really add to the game? 

I also got exited about food suplies, but after reading the post I'm not. I don't see any good in this idea. Add it as a refillable to keep in you hold that is used when you travel and be lootable if someone captures you.

Edited by Jomppeli

I am quite disappointed. No in fact I am totally disappointed. I don't see the point why crafters should provide food. This makes no sense and adds nothing to the gameplay.

Better simple system :

- When buying or crafting a ship you have provisions for 3 months of travel. It is automatically bought and refilled everytime you get into port, unless you check "no resupply". Then the next time it won't resupply.

If no provision for at least 15 days, you can't leave port.

If ran out of provisions, all your crew actions (sailing, reloading, boarding preparation) are slowed down by 25%.

Basic cutter have free food.

Voilà, running costs that gets expensive for bigger ships + no micromanagement.

Edited by BungeeLemming
screaming wont hel you get attention
  • Like 3

We found only one case of battle being lost because cannonballs ran out

Leander (50) vs Genereux (74)

In all other cases ships had enough ball for a very good number of battles.

Yeah but i doubt in any of those battles they opened fire at 2km away and kept shooting in the general direction of the enemy ship as soon as they reloaded :D Remember reading somewhere that most crews didn't even perform live training with live ammunition since it wasn't something they could waste at their leisure :) Would give some tactical dept also of filling out your ship with different types of ammunition. Cannons and ammunition could be a craft-able commodity :) 

• Like 2

I am quite disappointed. No in fact I am totally disappointed. I don't see the point why crafters should provide food. This makes no sense and adds nothing to the gameplay.

Better simple system :

- When buying or crafting a ship you have provisions for 3 months of travel. It is automatically bought and refilled everytime you get into port, unless you check "no resupply". Then the next time it won't resupply.

If no provision for at least 15 days, you can't leave port.

If ran out of provisions, all your crew actions (sailing, reloading, boarding preparation) are slowed down by 25%.

Basic cutter have free food.

Voilà, running costs that gets expensive for bigger ships + no micromanagement.

A couple of games I have played have that type of "auto repair" feature.

Even a simple on dock dialog "repair and restock for X" yes/no would be nice.

This option also could be used as a ship upgrade, like the rum one, but better grub, better morale. Or a permanent upgrade of "hard rations" that removed the need to do all the micro management, at the cost of a slot.

But I agree with several other posters.  If you don't have to manage it somehow, it's no different than adding in more construction material.  

I don't see that as adding anything but flavor to the game, and really not worth a pile of developer time in my opinion.

"Provisions" which actually are a one time ship building component ???

someone mistook hardtack as being hard enough to substitute wood ?

Well, time to stockpile ships now and sell them after that "brilliant" idea turns into a patch.

Edited by Jan van Santen

This increases crafting complexity.

So can we nuke the indescribably absurd carriage requirements now, since they were obviously just an anti-inflationary measure to begin with?

By weight, cost and labor hours, carriages are like 60% of shipbuilding. That's freaking nuts.

That's not freaking nuts. Those are freaking guns.

carriages = carriages + guns

guns were a significant part of the cost. they are in no-way an anti inflationary measure. 

Also you dont have to make them. I know lots of traders are making excellent profits by specializing in carriages - They will supply those for you. 

• Like 1

Why?

Naval Action is an exciting, realistic, and beautifully detailed naval combat (check)...

sandbox (not by a long shot)

More economy needed.

Yeah costs of provisioning/crewing a ship (very expensive) is a bit of a pain. Thats the damn point..

When I read the title I thought "Great!! A new feature will be an added aspect to the game that requires us to supply the ship with food and water". No sarcasm. I was excited.

I was disappointed to read the first post and find that this is just a addition to crafting that really has nothing to do with a new feature. Ships will run forever with out refilling.

Lets say our in game 24 hours is 20 mins in real time

Can you count how much real time is ingame 6 months for me please?

So we can see how many ingame days you can sail without refill

No one would ever think that is the case in game for obvious reasons.

why do they require iron then? what the heck are you talking about?

i am telling you carriages are carriages + guns. That's they only way to realistically represent the difference between crafting and fitting a 104 gunner and a 10 gun ship.

thats why they require iron and wood and rope

and names do matter but to an extent. its like the rhea thing if you remember what it was

some things take time to rename - and main renaming will be done just before and during localization and ui work

But if you guys so desire (I of course mean respectfully, esteemed captains Akd and maturin)

i can add large guns, medium guns and light guns weighing real tons to the ship blueprints

then will split carriage blueprint in 2 (guns and carriages separately)

+ can also make guns to be done in foundries only 

but it could become a huge hassle for the majority of crafters :) don't know if we want that - but it will make it proper and historical. 

in this case carriage will only use wood and rope and maybe 1-3 ingots of iron for rings and nails

and cannons will use all the iron and coal of the Caribbean :)

There is iron in the carriage itself, and making iron fittings does not really call to mind forging cannons.  And then manufactured ships have no guns and I must buy guns and put them on my ship. (Mind you they have no fixed number, no weight in hold and are infinitely dupeable, so are not really economically tangible.)  For all those reasons, no one would assume that making a carriage is making a gun plus a carriage (which would be two completely separate processes anyways).

read additions to my message above (i have not finished it) - you have not read the full post

60 hours (plus or minus).

Assumes 180 days in 6 mos.

Thank you Captain

So i suggest to all who want to refill the food in the ship every 6 months to answer honestly (ship could carry up to 6 months of supply)

What is a chance that you will lose all 5 durabilities during 60 hours?

And do you really think we should waste man months to code something that will be clicked once every 60 hours?

If we do provisions realistically it becomes a fake feature (average hours in game for an average player is 19 hours during last 2 weeks)

This means an average player wont even use it. You will also not use it once in a month if you play 2 hours per day EVERY DA. So whats the point and why the disappointment?

in our design provisions serve one purpose -

• bring maintenance of line ships to their historically appropriate levels
  • and provide more options for traders, crafters and fishers.

so we make ship builders supply the ship for you 60 hour journey with food (in addition to everything else)

that's it

because to our opinion its not fun to return somewhere to just click a button (i now have the same view on repair kits - which just force you to return to port to click a button) there is no strategy there

We suggest to all disappointed captains to check the math again - maybe me and darby missed something

1. and instead of feeling disappointed to actually provide SOUND arguments to counter our logic 
  2. and provide ideas on making provisions fun 
  3. and explain why should i come back to port once every unrealistic _____ insert days at sea here to click a button
  4. also explain why food should not be eaten when i log off
  5. and maybe explain why keep double standards and not implement medicine, powder, cannoballs, chainshot,  forcing you to probably sail less constantly returning to ports after a series of good fights
  6. why don't we also split repairs into planks, plugs and sails.. and actually make you repair constantly while you have those supplies ?
  • Like 1

That really depends on what you do with your ship. I'm pretty certain the 5 dura of a PVE Trincomalee doing 152 exp orders would last forever.

4 duras on a ship intended for PVP? Might be gone after 5 hours, and then you break the ship because it's cheaper to build another than to replace the upgrades.

I'm strongly in favor of the once while building approach for food supplies.

Edited by Quineloe

Hello Captains

We wanted to give a heads up about the forthcoming change in regards to provisions.

In the age of sail ships were usually supplied with 3-6 months of provisions.

In game terms it means that by the time you lost your ship you will still have enough provisions. We wanted to eliminate unnecessary hassle of constantly refilling provisions for active pvp or pve players, but wanted to add it as a resource to bring ship role of ship maintenance and crew to more historical levels (compared to ship building costs).

Thus

• New resource will be added to the game - Food supplies
  • Food supplies will be added to ship crafting blueprints
  • The amount of food supplies will be based on ship max possible crew
  • Food supplies will be available in all ports
  • Players will be able to produce food supplies cheaper than they are available from NPCs by several means.

Discuss

I still maintain this is a nice addition to the game.  But can Admin explain what the last bullet may mean?  Sorry if I missed it.