Game-Labs Forum

Food supplies - advanced warning

Hello Captains

We wanted to give a heads up about the forthcoming change in regards to provisions.

In the age of sail ships were usually supplied with 3-6 months of provisions.

In game terms it means that by the time you lost your ship you will still have enough provisions. We wanted to eliminate unnecessary hassle of constantly refilling provisions for active pvp or pve players, but wanted to add it as a resource to bring ship role of ship maintenance and crew to more historical levels (compared to ship building costs).

Thus

• New resource will be added to the game - Food supplies
  • Food supplies will be added to ship crafting blueprints
  • The amount of food supplies will be based on ship max possible crew
  • Food supplies will be available in all ports
  • Players will be able to produce food supplies cheaper than they are available from NPCs by several means.

Discuss

• Like 17

• Food supplies will be added to ship crafting blueprints

you will need it to craft the ship.

once crafted you wont need it anymore. (its consumed anyways)

I welcome this.

As long as we dont have to build another 5 buildings for provisioning (exaggeration)

• Like 2

so if i get this right. you will by supply a bit like you by repair kit... you can scale how much you want and each day it will deplete a bit.... If the max amount is 6 months i think it`s fair...(180 gameday /20min RL per game day) = about 60 hours in RL of gameplay. if my math is correct)

I assume farms, plantations and fishing will be added as well? 

Hunting Shack - Wild Game

Farms - Meat Type

Fishing Wharf - Fish

Plantation (Name) - Food Type

or how will it work? do we have to pack provisions in crates after we collect food?

I hope you won't make ports produce all these foods (make them limited). Let players open Plantations, Fishing and start supplying ports. I might find a full time use for my Indiaman. 

I wouldn't mind seeing this shifted to more of a repair kits concept.

Vitalling was a big issue back in the day, salted meat and hard biscuits. Disease was rampant, lack of fresh fruit and veg.

Heck, the buccaneers started off as food vendors.

This would also create a nice little labor/gold sink since they have to be continually produced.

May be only me ...but this seems odd making crew variable but provisions a one time inversion...

I would prefer it as consumables, or to make things simple a maintenance expense depending on crew number charged when you go back to a port after 1+ day saling.......

Anyway aking "provisions" solid resource will be as a good adition to allow more variety in trade.

P.D. capturing a ships will be some like miraculous..."multiplicating loaves and fish"  :D

• Like 2

Might be me, and I really like to read all the Economics ideas, but too much crafting and too little Action if we make everything into the economy food chain ;)

( nvm, more cargo being moved around more prize for the crew  yah-har )

so if i get this right. you will by supply a bit like you by repair kit... you can scale how much you want and each day it will deplete a bit.... If the max amount is 6 months i think it`s fair...(180 gameday /20min RL per game day) = about 60 hours in RL of gameplay. if my math is correct)

one of us have understood it very wrong.....I would like being me, as I like much more your approachs than the one I understood 

Great! I like that!

I think the quality of food plus officers (in this case, cook) need to affect diretly the morale of crew. Crew must receive morale bonus when the ship is suplied with high quality food and/or high level cook officer.

For long trips, the food must be resuplied along the ports.

I think water must be considered too and, in this case, refiled for free in ports. Hidden ports and hidden water suplies if implemented must be linked to an officer too (navigator or cartographer), and the chances to find it linked to level of that officer.

Ships with no food or water, cant go any longer and the crew starting to die when suply finished.

Player can send food via delivery to the ports he will pass by in a travel; that need to be consider when planning long travels and to minimize costs to resuply.

May be only me ...but this seems odd making crew variable but provisions a one time inversion...

I would prefer it as consumables, or to make things simple a maintenance expense depending on crew number charged when you go back to a port after 1+ day saling.......

Anyway aking "provisions" solid resource will be as a good adition to allow more variety in trade.

P.D. capturing a ships will be some like miraculous..."multiplicating loaves and fish"  :D

This can be fixed by adding Ship Maintenance Cost after 1 week real time. Cost can include resupplying. Larger ship = higher cost. This means your crew ate 1/4 of your supply amount and you should be able to resupply what they used after a while and all this can be included in regular ship maintenance on weekly or monthly basis.   

• Like 2

I like this as long as it doesn't mean I have to hop around for half an hour every time when I wanna sail out just to get all the crew / food / etc. supplies done. This would not feel like real "Naval Action".

• Like 1

This can be fixed by adding Ship Maintenance Cost after 1 week real time. Cost can include resupplying. Larger ship = higher cost. 

Actually I wouldn't do that for the normal OW open activities but add an extra layer - war supplies - for the upcoming conquest mechanics - and tailor specific needs to provision a ship to make it eligible to go into a Port Battle - Made available only during the preparation phase.

If Raids mechanic also make it in it is considered normal OW open activity with no need for them war supplies.

Any thoughts on making ammunition a craft-able / depletable resource ?  

We found only one case of battle being lost because cannonballs ran out

Leander (50) vs Genereux (74)

In all other cases ships had enough ball for a very good number of battles.

• Like 1

Yes, but why not add it as one time permanent ingredient when building a ship. Use it the same way you are trying to implement provisions. Pay once and it will last until player sinks. Currently, ammo is magically produced by someone. Measure it not by amount of cannonballs, but it's place on the recipe list. Simple ammo ingredient won't hurt anyone. 

• Like 3

The cannons were a real issue with the power back in the day rushing to establish a proper chain to furnish them locally.

In game these could actually be player produced :) as suggested previously, and have the Foundries built. Yes, can totally see this.

• Like 3

I like the idea!

But if we need to purchase food supplies I want to have a purser on board too ^_^

Edited by Guest

I dislike the food supply idea. It doesnt bring sighnificant value but just adds an excessive mircomanagement. You dont add crew hiring yet but think of food supply already! Deal with more important goals at first, pls!

P.S. The idea of food supply blueprint looks awful !

Edited by Marc Crass
  • Like 6

I think everyone is misunderstanding, it wont be another thing to micromanage, it will be part of the base cost of a ship, when you craft a ship in the recipe there are the provisions included so it is literally a one time do and forget thing.

• Like 5

How about diversity of food and certain bonuses to crew according to food type?

for example +few% to reload, speed, torning ,spotting or swordfighting.

It would be nice to change food type when you want it in each harbour.

Edited by Rychu Karas
  • Like 1

The "Battle of Hogland": swedes vs russians

The swedes won the initial engagement (by a minimal margin and also one may argue if it was won anyways). The swedish admiral ordered the fleet to disengage and rearm in the port of Sveaborg..

But due to lack of a sufficient repair and reprovision stock and also in addition of a disease the swedes basically lost their whole fleet (not lost but easily blockaded!) strategical seen it was a loss for the swedes!

I think its kinda dull because exploration ships or any ships on a long term voyage will not go through harsh food conditions. No need to fish or scavenge nearby islands to stay alive during desperate times.

But I guess maybe I'm in the minority? IMO I would rather have provisions management over the crew management feature in the game.

• Like 2