Game-Labs Forum

ships of the line armor

i think it is too strong and should be lowered

best suggestion is to sail frigates until wednesday

Glad to see its going to be lower, although I hope the current values are repeated on a smaller scale, its a really nice system but just needs a bit of tweaking and fine tuning, thank you for addressing it soon.

But please devs, dont make the santisima so weak in armor in comparison with the other first rate.

But its how it was, the basic absolute advantage of the santissima was silly, it was bad for gameplay, its so much better as a comparison now, the difference in the current build is fairly tiny, its only 10% when you compare to the broadside weight the santissima still has about 15-20% more, too much min/maxing is poor in any game.

Edited by Fluffy Fishy

guys. face it.

santis wider frame spacing makes her more vulnearably than victory.

stop beeing ignorant towards facts.

I can't tell if you were phrasing this intentionally this way or not.

I do feel that Victory and Santissima should be fairly balanced. After all, both are examples of the finest ships of the line ever built.

Also, as a frigate captain, I welcome these new changes that are in the pipeline.

Edited by EricKilla
  • Like 1

I like it when there are drawbacks with the choices you have. Don't want to see 1st rate battle with one type of ship because one is plain better then all other choices. If Vic is more of a tank, santi has the most guns and ocean might be in between in both categories there is a choice to make.

More diversity > fixed meta

I know it won't happen but in my dreams a PB would consist of 25 different ships per team :-)

• Like 1

Admin, don't make the mistake to lower the time it takes to kill/sink ships too much. The one thing I love about this game is that I actually can make a lot of decisions, brilliant maneuvers and stupid gameplay before the enemy sinks me. Things I always missed in a game like EVE-Online where you could loose a ship faster than blinking an eye.

Balance is everything. The slower pace (and thus more opportunity to use my head and skills) in this games PvP area is a real treasure and one of its true strengths!

• Like 9

Admin, don't make the mistake to lower the time it takes to kill/sink ships too much. The one thing I love about this game is that I actually can make a lot of decisions, brilliant maneuvers and stupid gameplay before the enemy sinks me. Things I always missed in a game like EVE-Online where you could loose a ship faster than blinking an eye.

Balance is everything. The slower pace (and thus more opportunity to use my head and skills) in this games PvP area is a real treasure and one of its true strengths!

I agree that it shouldn't be sped up too much, but there's a point where it gets so tedious and slow that you begin to wonder what else you could be doing with your time. A game should never make you wonder what else you could be doing with your time when you're in a battle.

• Like 2

There just was a Port battle in Jeremie, with the British fielding 25 first rates vs 8 first rates, 8 second rates, a third and a few smaller ships.

There were only four casualties in the entire battle: A consti and a mortar brig that arrived late right between the charging british first rates, a Santi that charged into the British line on her own and a Victory that got boarded by a 50% marine Pavel. The only reason Britain won was because the Pirates sailed too close to the circle and two Santis and a Pavel were caught outside at the 7 minute mark and sunk at the 1 minute mark.

Not a single ship the entire fight that was in formation lost more than 20% side armor, despite being engaged at medium range (ie name tags visible) most of the time.

• Like 2

There just was a Port battle in Jeremie, with the British fielding 25 first rates vs 8 first rates, 8 second rates, a third and a few smaller ships.

There were only four casualties in the entire battle: A consti and a mortar brig that arrived late right between the charging british first rates, a Santi that charged into the British line on her own and a Victory that got boarded by a 50% marine Pavel. The only reason Britain won was because the Pirates sailed too close to the circle and two Santis and a Pavel were caught outside at the 7 minute mark and sunk at the 1 minute mark.

Not a single ship the entire fight that was in formation lost more than 20% side armor, despite being engaged at medium range (ie name tags visible) most of the time.

I was in this battle on the Brit side, and when focused by the opposing team at mid range I took less then 10% side dmg 

Edited by Augustus Charles Hobart H

Yes sir, did a test between Teak Connie and Live Oak Ingermanland so a difference of 5cm armour and the connies shots from 250 meters while both stationary in duel had all shots bounce while the ingermanland penetrated with the 32's. so basically need to get within 100m to do damage so waste of time and better boarding at this point, the higher tier ships are good vs lower but cant compete vs higher which just needs further testing, do like the mod though and having to aim shots better :) good luck

• Like 1

I have to ask what do you call medium range? because in this time frame that is 150-250 yards... These guns were not very good against heavy targets beyond those ranges...  now saying that... even non-penetrating hits should be doing damage over time.. I think that is what is really missing....  It is still wood and it gets weaken and loses splinters and pieces if hit enough even with lighter guns...

My suggestion is very slightly tweek the bounce angles some and the penetration values...  Same for Masts.. they went from to easy to no point in trying

• Like 1

That's what locked focus is for, and that does not change it either.

no, with the current systems all battles are done within a range of 250 because of the penetration model. I dont care about lock/unlock focus or what ever. The range where the dev want us to fight is what I mean

no, with the current systems all battles are done within a range of 250 because of the penetration model. I dont care about lock/unlock focus or what ever. The range where the dev want us to fight is what I mean

That may be but if it stays like this we will all be running boarding fitted ships soon as its now the best way to kill a big ship

yeah why not even remove ship of lines. this game is getting limitative and boring  instead of giving players freedom and things to play you are forcing us to dont use or better not use SOLs in Port battles or in Open world, what a disappointment.

case: we couldnt come up with decent port battle system  

solution: lets forbit SOL spam and place 4th rate spam

case: we couldnt balance open world pvp SOLs are too stronk

solution: nerfnerfnerfnerf

edit: just to give my feedback on new penetration  system. its so bad that I am done with this until further improvements done.

if you seek full reality why dont we sail for months in open world instead of hours (no pun intended). god we sail for hours isnt that enough for reality.this new penetration is a joke especially in long range.  high dispersion low pen low damage. and solution is nerfing SOLs yeah just remove them and be done with it.

Edited by Xhepnon
  • Like 1

Well after being in combat with a pavel and watching as my 32 pounders did nothing at all in a mast to mast firefight was just silly.at the same time the pavel having already seen 4 other connis turn and run just rammed and broaded me.ok he had a larger ship, more crew etc.but 5 connis all firing at close range did nothing to this super ship.to my mind the way the game is set up at the moment having anything else then a speed and boarding set up pavel is a waste of time. I think that the designer's have forgotten that in the age of sailing warfare ships of the line could and did not act independent. Maybe the boarding aspect of the game needs looking at.marines etc never made up 50 percent of the any crew, their job after all was the protection of the ships officers from the crew and the protection of the ships stores etc.in fact the largest ships used for single missions at the time were frigates, they had the speed.please remove these superships or limit their use to their real purpose, which was major fleet actions.

I just hope they fix grape. 32 carro's or 9 longs cannot grape a Ingermerland that had no rear armour left. The grape wont penetrate. Since you cannot really damage the hell and the masts are a 100 thick aswell,frigates vs 4th and up is pretty much not possible anymore

• Like 4

I just did a mission with my santi versus a npc Victory. I had long cannons and top deck carronades, so I got close to him immediately, my first broadside ripped through his armor (from ~50 meters). 

Because we were sailing opposide directions he managed to pull some range from me, but I still unloaded my other broadside, which only did minimal damage (thus a few penetrations), from ~250 meters. Then I decided to get close, again to ~50 meters and started melting his armor, it only took me ~10 min to sink him.

So I agree with the admin, that at range the armor is too strong. However, from really close range I think it is fine.

ps. I would like to provide some links of images of the battle, but I cannot find any forum rules..

• Like 1

The think is.that the above was a combat between two ships of the line, fighting in a period fashion. But this is a game and if the designers wish to bring in period firing mechanisms then they should also inforce period combat tactical use of ships.to have ships of the line sailing around like speed boats with armour as strong as the Bismarck and set up for boarding is going to destroy the game in the end.however limiting ships of the line to fleet actions and the number of boarding set ups available would allow for a better more balanced game.