4WxifGa.png

Long guns

sjKzi9f.png

Carronades

iFRmRWA.png

Current vision

• Ships must tank with broadside
  • Cannon loss must matter
  • Long distance combat should be ineffective unless you have powerful artillery
  • Angle must matter
  • Light guns should be ineffective at long distances (french penetration tables show 17x difference in energy at 1000 yards between 4lb and 42lb
  • Cannons can block shots (due to carriage structure)
  • Masts have strength (thickness) too 

Potential changes

The guns difference in reality was a bit smaller (from 70 to 155 on standard powder charge). 

We increased the difference a bit for gameplay purposes. It could be brought back while reducing the HP differences making more ships around your level withstand the fire from high caliber guns. For example essex melts cerberus currently with 3-4 broadsides. Maybe ships of the similar side should be able to hold broadside fire for much longer.

amosblanco    21

Medium guns got nerfed too much? Much less penetration than long guns,  I see no reason for any ship to arm medium gun now, 

Also, i think the new model would make frigates much harder to take a larger SOLs. since you need broadside shots to effective damage them. That will make the game much boring..

Edited by amosblanco

admin    28,104

Medium guns got nerfed too much? Much less penetration than long guns,  I see no reason for any ship to arm medium gun now, 

dps - they have 20% more dps 

SaintGordon    46

I needed over 1 houre to take down a Santisima with my Victory.

i was side by side in about 100 to 150m.

the 12pd were just useless. just bouncing off.

the 24pb bounced 50 to 75%

only the 42pd were usefull.

Using all long guns

and in the fight i lost nearly 20 guns on one side...

There is no chance to win a port battle with this mecanit as attacker any more...

Not a good thing at all

Edited by SaintGordon

Maxus    13

dps - they have 20% more dps 

To utilise that dps you must first be able to penetrate and right now, between 2 SOL penetration is far more important since only a fraction of the cannonballs actually penetrate.

Intrepido    2,182

I really think the thickness of the Santisima is a bit low in comparison with the Victory, furthermore the Santisima had just a bit lower HP.

Another issue is that the 24lb long cannons do very little damage at 300m against a ship like the ingermanland which it looks a bit odd.

Also I lost about 25 guns in my pavel and both hull sides were about 80% of hp. Too many guns destroyed for my taste. 

Edited by Intrepido

Azzak    83

It's hard to provide precise number adjustements but :

- I would rise quite a lot penetration of 24 pounders and more, as they do not penetrate enough SoL armor. 50% of broadsides of 32 pdrs bounce when directly shooting a 3rd rate in close combat. I would think 5-10% is a more fitting number.

- I would rise penetration of medium cannons, as they seem to be very inefficient at penetrating SoL armor, making them useless.

Edited by Azzak

As I posted in the other thread, I'll only post a short summary.

Was fighting in a fleet mission, cannons feel very ineffective versus all ships of the line. Either armor is too strong or cannons are too weak.

Edit; I was in a Santisima with 42 / 24 / 12 / 9, none of the cannons felt particularly effective, though as expected 42 pounders had the most penetration.

Edited by Alan Demarest

akd    2,622

Or there is a bug, because people are reporting no penetrations where chart above says shots should penetrate.

admin    28,104

Or there is a bug, because people are reporting no penetrations where chart above says shots should penetrate.

heel affects angle

hull shape affects angle

akd    2,622

heel affects angle

hull shape affects angle

Yes, understood, but what people were reporting was pretty extreme, e.g. no penetration from 24pdr at point blank range and 90° to hull side.  Haven't tried it myself yet.

Azzak    83

We were trading shots broadside to broadside, no angle or anything. Shots still bounce off for no apparent reason.

Maxus    13

heel affects angle

hull shape affects angle

I'm fairly certain everyone here understands that.

Heel and hull shape shouldn't even be a factor at less than 50 meters using 24 pounders.

The 3rd rate has no particular hull shape that assists in bouncing shots and even if there is no heel the shots still bounce even though, as stated earlier, they shouldn't

admin    28,104

F11 please

ShaWa    15

I' ve tried the new update in a port batlle in connie and.... It is very very very hard to sink another ship of the same rank with it.

I mean, at close distance against an inger, full broadside just do a scratch, not even 10 hull.

I dont talk about 12 pound canons, just useless actually.

Mid distance with another connie, almost every balls bounce against it.

I took several broadside from an inger, and i lost something like 10% of my life on the side. And I was in a Teak Wood (no BS or Planking) Connie. So I dont want to imagine what kind of tank is a LO BS one.

I can understand you want to make the penetration & armor system more realistic. But a battle just last 1h30 max.

Cecil Selous    337

I really like the new dmg model and it is a step into the right direction. Sinking an enemy ship is now very difficult and time consuming and the demasting with small caliber guns from far away is finally gone. But I think in the future we need some other changes too, to make the new dmg model really shine.

I believe a large portion of the playerbase agrees, that ships shouldn't be sinking so easily like before. It isn't very historical etc. But too compensate for that you should maybe rise the crew loss when shots penetrate. In the end this could go hand in hand with a new crew mangament system (officers etc, crew that actually matters) and a surrender mechanic (if wie will ever get one :D) which makes sense to encourage surrender if you are loosing a fight badly. there are already many topics about that.

Until then (if we will ever get it), I wouldn't mind if the new dmg model gets tweaked a bit. Right now I have the feeling that it only encourages rage boarders who hunt in packs even more than before. They go in fast, don't care about your broadsides, push you into the wind and rape you with their boarding mods (which are still ridiculous in my opinion). Right now, you have to be very close to do significant dmg and this is what they want.

JaM    58

Also, i think the new model would make frigates much harder to take a larger SOLs. since you need broadside shots to effective damage them. That will make the game much boring..

Frigates should not take on larger SOLs in the first place... Frigates are more maneurable, usually faster, so why do you want take away one main benefit  SOL actually has over Frigate, which is sturdiness of its construction? Frigates never stood a chance against SOL. It was so unfair, that captains of SOLs never actually oppened fire at Frigates unless they fired first... firing at them first, meant huge disgrace...

so, technically, i think experience points could be distributed based on ship rating difference... so ships with high rating would not gain exp points from shooting at low rated ships.

ulysse77    200

so, technically, i think experience points could be distributed based on ship rating difference... so ships with high rating would not gain exp points from shooting at low rated ships.

isn`t iit already like that... Was the impression it was a while back....

Chimera    533

Why the Santisima haves less armour than Victory?, All knows that that ship was very strong, Trafalgar battle show it

Makes the victory more viable and brings more diversion. Would be a good change. As is santissima was just better in every category rendering the victory a second class 1st rate

maturin    5,454

Why the Santisima haves less armour than Victory?, All knows that that ship was very strong, Trafalgar battle show it

Victory has thicker sides and more closely-spaced frame timbers than Santissima. 

Santissima soaked up so much damage at Trafalgar because IRL large ships are almost impossible to sink with gunfire alone. At least without extremely careful and deliberate aiming at the waterline, which was not often done (it would allow the enemy's gunners to shoot at you unimpeded).

admin    28,104

Victory has thicker sides and more closely-spaced frame timbers than Santissima. 

Santissima soaked up so much damage at Trafalgar because IRL large ships are almost impossible to sink with gunfire alone. At least without extremely careful and deliberate aiming at the waterline, which was not often done (it would allow the enemy's gunners to shoot at you unimpeded).

well it is like this now :)

people find it boring.

we will keep it until next wednesday (hot fix time) because maybe people have not just adjusted to new system and there are reports on 24lb guns not penetrating at close range