Game-Labs Forum

Minor port battle changes next patch

Isnt it gonna be very easy to screen/defend outside a port when its not deep water?

If you gather a frigate fleet to attack a port, can't the defense just gather up a SoL fleet and reck the frigate fleet?

Looking forward to this, I might be able to participate in defense in my lowly Surprise.  :o  Aswell as make mercury/niagra building lucrative.

This will not happen.

They just changed it from "First Rates" to "Fourth Rates" So if you join a PB with something smaller than a 4th Rate you will be "the idiot who lost the PB". 

Its "the bigger the better" rule that is still active (for port battles, a experienced Captain can beat a bigger ship in a 1vs1 but in a 25vs25 the individual skill becomes less important than the Armor and Cannons of your Ship).

• Like 3

This will not happen.

They just changed it from "First Rates" to "Fourth Rates" So if you join a PB with something smaller than a 4th Rate you will be "the idiot who lost the PB". 

Its "the bigger the better" rule that is still active (for port battles, a experienced Captain can beat a bigger ship in a 1vs1 but in a 25vs25 the individual skill becomes less important than the Armor and Cannons of your Ship).

Yep your right. What we will have now is 1st rate only PB's for capitals, Ingermanland/Connies only in normal deep water PB's, and Mercury (or Niagara if it changes to being allowed in) only in shallow water. It's a start but it does not fix the "bring the biggest allowed" setup. When looking at battles that occurred in history 1st & 2nd rates only made up 10 to 15% of a battle fleet, 3rd rates where 60 to 80% with frigates the last 5% or so. In a 25 vs. 25 battle we should only have 3 first rates, 3 second rates, 17 third rates max, and at least 2 frigates in deep water port battles. How this is done with current game play I am not sure, but I bet the Devs and the community could come up with something.

I do look forward to the different cap methods and how it will play out, but it will be all the same ships as it is now, and I would really like to see a wide variety of ships used in PB's.

• Like 2

Docking rights wont be affected initially = you can park ships of the line in all deep water ports - the limit only concerns port battles. We will see how it goes and listen to users.

Niagara is too strong for shallow water ports - not sure about it yet. 32lb carronades melts other ships

Defenders get points for owning the capture zones but in design they might not need them. Battle flow will change and will revolve around capture zones - enemy fleet can sail wherever they want to but if you control the zones you will win the battle. For example. Enemy fleet sailed away - their return path is against the wind. Then your hiding cutter can win the port battle recapturing the zones back when enemy cannot realistically return to them in time. It will also bring more variability to port battles making fast ships more valuable.

• Like 7

Yep your right. What we will have now is 1st rate only PB's for capitals, Ingermanland/Connies only in normal deep water PB's, and Mercury (or Niagara if it changes to being allowed in) only in shallow water. It's a start but it does not fix the "bring the biggest allowed" setup. When looking at battles that occurred in history 1st & 2nd rates only made up 10 to 15% of a battle fleet, 3rd rates where 60 to 80% with frigates the last 5% or so. In a 25 vs. 25 battle we should only have 3 first rates, 3 second rates, 17 third rates max, and at least 2 frigates in deep water port battles. How this is done with current game play I am not sure, but I bet the Devs and the community could come up with something.

I do look forward to the different cap methods and how it will play out, but it will be all the same ships as it is now, and I would really like to see a wide variety of ships used in PB's.

+1

I expect we'll still see the Santis come out to blockade these ports.

For sure, but they are´not so scaring as having them IN the port. In OW you can engage them and disengage once your attacking fleet enters PB.

More interesting PB for sure IMHO, more oportunities for people to participate (in battle, blocking force, counter blocking...)

I expect we'll still see the Santis come out to blockade these ports.

They had better be disciplined and have support. A couple of well-managed 4th rates can easily take a separated Vic or Santi.

• Like 1

I like the changes being made, in theory they sound great.  One thing I would like to suggest, however, is to change the crafting recipe for 4th rate ships from requiring high grade notes to mid grade notes.  This would unify the 4th and 5th rate ships as truly a "mid-tier" class using mid-tier crafting.

Low Tier - 7th and 6th rates, shallow port battles, low grade notes

Mid Tier - 5th and 4th rates, normal deep port battles, mid grade notes

High Tier - 3rd through 1st rates, regional capital deep port battles, high grade notes

Just seems more fitting.

• Like 5

I like the changes being made, in theory they sound great.  One thing I would like to suggest, however, is to change the crafting recipe for 4th rate ships from requiring high grade notes to mid grade notes.  This would unify the 4th and 5th rate ships as truly a "mid-tier" class using mid-tier crafting.

High Tier - 3rd through 1st rates, regional capital deep port battles, high grade notes

Just seems more fitting.

If you follow this line, then 4th rates should also be craftable in 2nd tier shipyards (and not only in 3rd tier ones).

Edited by victor
  • Like 3

I like the changes being made, in theory they sound great. One thing I would like to suggest, however, is to change the crafting recipe for 4th rate ships from requiring high grade notes to mid grade notes. This would unify the 4th and 5th rate ships as truly a "mid-tier" class using mid-tier crafting.

Just seems more fitting.

+1 I like this

Feature that definitely will get in

Port battles will split into 3 levels next patch (eta mid may)

Regional deep water capitals (unless its a shallow water port) - will accept all ships 

Normal deep water ports - will accept ships up to 4th rates

Shallow water - will accept ships up to brigs

Why stop there? Why not make drafts for ships like you have already, and let only certain ships with a deep enough Under Keel Clearance get in to port to dock/fight? This will make battles so much more intense and fun, since you need a much much MUCH wider spectrum of ships other than the 1st rates, the superfrigates and the mercs. This way you will Not only be able to play with the maximum of said ships, but ALL ships in the game will get a spot in the port battles. This has been mentioned multiple times, even by SteelSandwich(RIP DAS), but I can't take emphasys on it enough.

While I like the idea of capture zones, providing they are far enough away from each other and pertinent locations to the port themselves, I personally felt the only changes needed were that Towers were not objectives, and that Shallow hulled ships should've been allowed in all ports, and Deep hulled ships remain as is only allowed in deep ports. There's no reason to disallow 1st rate ships in deep ports, no matter Regional Cap or not.

IMO..just keep it as close to real life as possible, in regards to which ships can port and battle where. And here is my suggested port diagram.

Arg..nm..what image extensions are allowed here? Where does anyone store pix that they can include in comments for this forum?

Here's a link to the pic

www.flickr.com/photos/142751848@N08/26541302190/in/shares-722sR0/

Feature that definitely will get in

Regional deep water capitals (unless its a shallow water port) - will accept all ships 

Why stop there? Why not make drafts for ships like you have already, and let only certain ships with a deep enough Under Keel Clearance get in to port to dock/fight? This will make battles so much more intense and fun, since you need a much much MUCH wider spectrum of ships other than the 1st rates, the superfrigates and the mercs. This way you will Not only be able to play with the maximum of said ships, but ALL ships in the game will get a spot in the port battles. This has been mentioned multiple times, even by SteelSandwich(RIP DAS), but I can't take emphasys on it enough.

I don't think they are going to stop there. This is essentially a quick and dirty way to test along those lines. Ship draft and port depth are likely on the TO-DO list, but not high priority at the moment. 

I always wondered if the battletech system would work in Naval Action... like you have a BR max and you can bring a bunch of smaller ships or less bigger ships, you would have to find a good balance on your team.

Anyway, this patch sounds like a good step in the right direction.

• Like 3

I like the overall changes, and look forward to testing them. I have a feeling there will be more port battle as a result, which is a concern, as people are getting a little burned out I think.

I would be concerned about Regional Deep water capitals allowing all ships. It could mean Cutters (enemy alts) could fill spots.

I would like to see the Flagship idea being introduced. It could allow for a better mix of ships in a port battle. Say a single Santi/Vic allowed in a Deep water port battle (non regional) and carries the flag. The number can be matched by defenders. Maybe 3 commanders can buy the flag should be introduced, and they allow people to join the port battle. This could get rid of alt accounts using up spots, but also make sure the best ships or captains get into the battle. If there are excess people, maybe they could go into a simultaneous 2nd port battle to cater for increasing numbers, with just loot up for grabs?

I always wondered if the battletech system would work in Naval Action... like you have a BR max and you can bring a bunch of smaller ships or less bigger ships, you would have to find a good balance on your team.

Anyway, this patch sounds like a good step in the right direction.

That would be fun too, hopefully with the 50 player limit still in place.

I'm just hoping port battles will one day become a multihour process where ships continuously enter and leave a series of rooms with various objectives. Maybe some ships need to run blockades, some ships carry troops for landings at forts, siege ships to wear down forts, and sols fighting the pitched battles, frigates doing raids, all that good stuff.

• Like 2

Really like the idea of testing this out!  Love the idea three different ship categories for ports, and the divided capping areas.  I also disagree that players will only bring the top available ship.  In normal ports, having a renom that can rip at high speed, unmolested, from zone to zone, would be very helpful.  Connies pack a punch, but can easily be outmanuevered and sunk by Trincs.  Frigates are less expensive and widely availabe on the market, and still pack a nice punch. I would be surprised if players didn't take advantage of the variety of ships available to come up with fun strategies to tackle the new PB system. 

So get trolled by cutters in the only type of port battle ships of the line can actually get in, yeah that sounds fun.

• Like 1